Lexus LS430 | FerrariChat

Lexus LS430

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by FerrariSlave, Oct 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Im going to be looking for another car soon, Anyone here own or owned a Lexus LS430 Ultimate Luxury.? I think its a great car for the value compared to the price tags on S class's mercedes which is being redesigned and 7 series BMW which I dont particularly like (E65). What are your opinions how did you like the car whats the ride like. ? I need to take a test drive...

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Sebastian,

I am on my 4th Lexus, and second LS. I have owned 2 SCs before and currently have a 04 Ls430, pearl white. It is a great car and a truly fun car. I do the Los Angeles to Seattle route often, and 1100 miles in this car is almost too easy. The highway ride is excellent, and for the $, I think its one of the most luxurious cars out there. The torque is there, and the engine pulls strong. Passing power is endless and always right there. THe build quality is superb. The fit and finish is excellent, and nothing will feel cheap in your hands. The interior is dead quiet and is truly plush. THe rear seat room has increased since the last LS400 I had, so that is a big plus for me. These cars are rock solid. I put 85K on my SC in 2 years, with 0 problems, and have had 0 problems in all 4 of my L cars over the years. You don't have to worry about engine blowing up (like some german cars) and going to the dealer because your radio doesn't work or cupholders are flimsy. If you like making friends with your dealer, this is not the car for you. I see LS cars around with 200k+ miles easily all the time.

There are some downsides though. The car is very plush, which in turn makes the suspension rather wallowy. Comparing this car to the S55 AMG or a Audi A8 isn't right imo. If you are looking for sporty and corner carving 4 door, you would be better of with the Maserati 4 door or the E55 AMG. I like to have cars that serve a single purpose. For me the LS430 is about a quiet, serene drive, after a long day of work, when I want to keep the windows closed, listen to some classical music, and think. THe car is very understated thus you can easily stay under the police radar even at 85-90mph.

I am not sure if you are getting a 2005 or you are getting a used one. I would recommend getting the larger optional wheels/tires for a bit more sporty feel. I have a friend who has 19s on his, and is lowered on fat rubber. My SC was set up like that, and I liked that, perfect blend of luxury and sport. However, my current LS is fully stock, and I will be keeping it that way.

If you have any other questions, or if I can be of further help, don't hesitate to ask here/email/or PM me.

Good luck in your search, you won't be dissapointed. :)

Yes my car is fully loaded. The massage option is ok, but remember these are gimmicks. Don't expect to get a massage like you can get for 200/hr by a professional. The cooled seats come in very handy in the summer months out west, and I would say its a worthwhile option. The Nav is very good. I like the Nav better in my cousins E500, but then again I don't use Nav much at all. Its a wasted option for my personal lifestyle.

As far as performance, I will tell you Sebastian, that 0-60 numbers don't mean a whole lot unless you are in 6th grade gym class. Like I said, personally I use a car for its niche, and the LS430, though fast for its size, is no drag strip queen. I have other toys for that. Even if the S55 Amg/745 have the same numbers as the LS430 (I know they don't), its the way of the delivery. I know Doody has a S55, and its a great car. That car has "balls." The LS430 even with 300 hp doesn't have the aforementioned juevos. It is much more sedate. There is no exhaust howl. You could have your mother in Law sitting in the back, while you do triple digits, and she won't even know the speed, so she will continue complaining as why you couldn't afford the Jaguar or Benz. ;) :p The LS430 is a luxury car for Lutherans.

3. Ic do you have the ultimate luxury package on yours with the heated/cooled front and rear seats there is even a massage option I read. Also auto closing doors. The performance is comparible to the 745LI I read 5.9 0-60 is decent for a 4 door seadan. Hows the bluetooth navigation. ?

4. Good reply I will have to go test drive in one. I recently drove in a GS300 it was really nice. I know 0-60 numbers dont mean much but its a number most usally look for in a car and 5.9 is pretty good for a full size luxury seadan. I like the looks of the LS430 with the sport package the wheels and the redesigned bumper give it a really sleek clean look.

Forgot about the Audio system how is the audio system I hear the Lexus Mark Levingston system sounds really good.

5. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    I bought one of the first LS430's when it was introduced in 2001. Ours now has 80,000 miles on the odometer. It's a Millenium Silver with 17" chrome wheels and the UltraLux option package.

During those 80,000 miles, the only failure was the driver's door electric closer. It was replaced under warranty. I just replaced the original tires this spring. An amazing record of trouble-free operation.

This is my wife's daily driver and she won't let me trade it in on something new - she likes it that much. I'll be back in the market when Lexus introduces the refreshed version of the LS in 2006.

The NAV is superb; we liked it a lot better than either the Merc or BMW versions. In fact, we liked the entire car better than the S500 or 740iL. Price wasn't a consideration; pleasing her was the most important factor.

Ride certainly isn't sporty, but that's not the object with this car. The wife found the European cars too firm (both seats and ride) and the American cars too soft. The LS430 is as quiet now as the day we bought it - you need to check the tach to see if the engine started; no lie!

Brad

6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Sounds like my kind of car. Do they come in white? ;)

7. brendon0

brendon0 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Brendon
    Acura is about to release the new RL. They have alot of info
    on www.acura.com.

I believe the acura will be very close to the lexus yet cheaper
    but about 10-15k. 300HP with all wheel drive, supposedly priced
    at 48k fully loaded (as opposed to lexus 62k for the LS).

8. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I'm quite certain you can option the LS up to around 70k if you get the "Potentate" (sp?) package.

9. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    good point, and from preliminary tests the rl is more sporty than the ls...my only complaint with the LS and lexus and toyota products are that they while they are very plush and built amazingly well, they are not drivers car... the new RL maybe one and for 15-20k less...also the LS syling is way too generic now, the RL looks a little more edgy and aero

10. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Beautiful car. Too pretty for a man to drive. Definately a womans car. Ranks up there with the beetle, the Z4 and the Merc SLK.

11. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Aww doc, why you gotta be mean like that :p