Leno drops a Merlin in a 1930 Bentley (video, 12:29) | FerrariChat

Leno drops a Merlin in a 1930 Bentley (video, 12:29)

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Apr 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-I3Cl1RICg&list=PLcAFCEDZU39xYLamb1NBGW_14DrieamN2]1930 Bentley 27-Liter - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube[/ame]

The engine alone weights 3500lbs . . .

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well Jay didn't drop anything. It was built by someone else. Its as much of a Bentley as my Ford truck.

And the motor with the prop gear reduction unit and 2 stage supercharger installed is 1600lbs. It was famous for being 1lb per HP in ready to run condition for an airplane.

Waste of a perfectly good Merlin.

3. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    At ~4:50, Leno claims this engine runs about 3500lbs. (He may have confused 1600lbs with 1600kg, multiplied by 2.2 and ended up saying ~3500lbs.)

4. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    This car was in Top Gear. It does not have a supercharger. I read about a "Rolls Royce" with a proper Merlin engine that has a supercharger and some 1100hp

5. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Double espresso says this is not even a Merlin; rather it's a Meteor, a quite detuned version of the basic RR 12 cyl. design. Typically found in period in armored scout cars and small tanks. 650 hp was normal, without the supercharger and with a single carb. 1200 - 1400 lbs. without all the aero bits.

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    What a neat car !
    I smiled through the whole thing.

Years back Dennis Simanaitis (Sp ?) did a story in Road and track of some huge engined cars like this including a Mercedes Blitzen Benz and Napier-Railton.
    The Napier was polished aluminum. Nummm...

7. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    It was built by a company called Bob Petersen Engineering in the UK. They take boring 1940's, 1950's era Bentley's and turn them into cars Bentley likely would have built if they didn't get taken over by Rolls Royce. Really Bentley's under Roll Royce are mostly Rolls Royce's with a Bentley badge. I like their rebodies. Someone in my neighborhood has one, amazing craftsmanship. The only thing not Bentley on most of their creations is the body, rest is all Bentley/Rolls Royce.

Leno's car here: Bob Petersen Engineering | Custom vintage coachbuilt cars | Devon UK

the car in my neighborhood: Bob Petersen Engineering | Custom vintage coachbuilt cars | Devon UK

I want one.

8. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
  9. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Interesting!

Can anyone confirm a half-truth / automobile folklore?

In the late 1980's, I was told a story about a man in a Ferrari 512 Boxer on the Autobahn, pushed it to top speed while a Rolls Royce passed him like he was standing still. Down the road, the Boxer driver met up at a fuel station with the Rolls Royce owner. When asked what he had in the Rolls, the owner replied, "A Rolls Royce"(aircraft) engine. I didn't put much stock in the story, seemed odd why anyone would dump an aircraft engine into a classic Rolls. Why would anything [supposedly] that heavy, fly down the Autobahn at high speed? It was the late 80's, we didn't have internet to confirm such stories and not very many people knew squat about high end exotics anyways, other than they looked hot. So I blew the story off.

...seeing THIS thread, was something of this sort created then?

10. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    #10 any_1, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    There is a Rolls with a Merlin engine, www.supercars dot net/cars/4769.html

For some reason the forum does not accept the URL?