Le Mans 2005 | FerrariChat

Le Mans 2005

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ferrari355gtb, Sep 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    I've never been but there has been a lot of talk (up in the NW anyway) about going next year. I think we should get the ball rolling :

i) an idea of numbers
    ii) where are we staying (see below)
    iii) ferries
    iv) routes
    v) good and bad points etc.
    vi) etc.....

Official web site is : http://www.lemans.org/univers_accueil/index_gb.html

I think the date for 2005 is 5th June (Sunday).

Al - I believe you've already booked for Tuesday evening. Anyone else going ? (or is this just too much advance notice)

Rick

2. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    I've priced up a motorhome with driver and very comfortable sleeping arrangements for 6 people for 7 days - approx £3000 !!! Think I might opt for tent at those prices. I can get prices for smaller vehicles without driver (probably get one of my mates to drive it down if necessary) - what do you think ?

Rick

3. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Guys been to Le Mans for the last two years - before my Fcar ownership.

Have stayed with a group of guys (12 ish) in private accomodation, which was about half an hour from circuit. Bit of a bummer really as I'm the driver (Previa owner as well!)

We managed to book main grandstand tickets(opposite pits) and car parking for 4 cars, all in it cost about £300 each. Plus food, petrol & crossing. Oh and I nearly forgot - booze!!!

Don't want to give too much away about accommodation as I think its been re-booked for next year! I will find out on Thursday if it has been.

If you want any help on tickets etc let me know.

Its a great experience - having been twice to the main Le Mans I am thinking about doing Classic Le Mans which is every two years - unfortunately next one is in 2006.

Cheers Kevan

:) See you down the road - with huge grins on our faces :)

4. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    Rick - the Yorkshire PistonHeads massif are defo going, midnight ferry on the Tuesday, disembark at 7am, then 'interesting' B roads to Le Mans.

We will all be camping, cos that's all part of the fun, but in Houx which is one of the better sites with water and electric quite close by (no gennies running all night... just about 150,000 horse power!).

I can always ask if there's room for a few more?

Hats off to all the various organisers around the country though as it's a thankless task.

5. dpsuk999

dpsuk999 Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Leeds UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Count me in guys, Ill keep an eye on this thread.

6. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Al,

Lets see how many numbers we get from here and then maybe we can piggy back on your trip.

Rick

7. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    Oh, go on then !

8. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    went this yr and stayed at a small camp site 5 kms from the track, at least one could have a conversation! Little village called Spay. Already booked next year and places running out fast. Booked through Just tickets and motoring, very helpful and no hassles at all. Leave the radar detector at home!

9. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I been a few times and have always booked a hotel, next year I intend to take a tent, hopefully get a pitch on or v near the circuit so I don't have to leave, get beer and food and beer and beer before the start, dig in and enjoy the weekend. Getting excited already !

10. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    I have been most years since 1984 - if you want to camp near the circcuit then you need to book now as most camp sites are already fully booked.

As for Ferry routes Portsmouth Caen gives you the shortest drive but is the most expensive; Dover Calais gives the longest drive, but is the cheapest - you can take you pick in between those.

The date next year has been confirmed as June 18/19th for the race, with June 5th being the Test Day

Its best to link up with a group, and if you like a good time, great racing and mad party then it will be one of the best weekends of your life.

The downsides are the facilities which although better than a few years back are still not up to scratch - however you will miss out if you dont camp.

11. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I have been the last two years and both times we booked hotels in the centre of town. Most people will tell you that you need to book the rooms 9 months in advance but Stewart P. has always put the hard work in on the phone the month before the race and found us free rooms due to cancellations.

Last year we shared a hotel with the winning Audi team. They seemed a bit bemused about our that our lack of sobriety got even worse after the race - they obviously hadn't heard about the England vs France game.

12. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    i would get divorced if i went cos i'm hopefully doing gumball

13. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    your lass told us she was kickin' you out anyway !

14. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

where did you hear that, have you been speaking to my milkman

15. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    lucky man... but £10k... ouch!

16. rviant

rviant Karting

Jan 22, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I too am organising a trip next year hopefully staying at Houx if the ACO ever come through with the tickets. I booked 16 in April this year for next year, finger crossed.

On the motorhome front you can get a motorhome for 6 for just over £1000 for the week from vivanti.co.uk I now just have to find a driver.

Quite a mixture of cars went last year 2 ferraris, Lambo, maserati and porsche amongst them. but they are all mad drivers and the convoy got to bit this year might do 3 convoys of 5 and arrange meeting points along the route.

If anyone has any questions PM me and i will try and help

17. markcp

markcp Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    North London
    Full Name:
    Mark Parsons
    Fantastic weekend and next year it'll be my 30th when we're out there :) Only downside is that it clashes with the Lions tour in NZ so can't decide which to do.....

18. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    would love to go may have to start begging

19. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    I started clocking up the brownie points already - isn't life a ***** !!

Rick

20. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    if there is some brownies going i am to is there any scouts for lee p

21. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Going to try and book some camping areas first.

Do you still want to go ?

Dave S ?
    Dave308 ?
    Steve F ?

I am presuming Simon is going.

Anyone else ?

Rick

22. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    I think I am going to have to miss it yet again!

Vicki had agreed that i could take the car down to Spain AND do Le Mans... but then I did EuroHoon!

Can't do all three and there is no way I'm missing EuroHoon 05, so Le Mans has to go I'm afraid :(

Mind you, there's talk of a 4 day mini hoon in April/May so that has to be blagged in to the equation somehow :D

23. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

whats the dates?

24. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    18th & 19th of June.

25. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    a possibility if i aint doing gumball, theres been some reports that the poice will be impounding cars at this years event so i am still waiting for more info at the mo