LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Ale55andr0, Dec 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Most issues are with the large battery. Over here, owners are seeing 200k+ quotes for replacing that. Cars that are not being used and sit in collections are particularly affected, most of the ones I have seen for sale with dead batteries have 500-1000km on the odometer.
    I am surprised that the cost hasn’t dropped substantially, even though battery prices halve every 3-5 years...

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

2. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Well, the price for replacement fuel tanks for an F40 never dropped while more than 30 years later, today’s technology can certainly produce cheaper and stronger Ferrari approved products...

Also, engine belts that should be replaced every 3 years for most cars from the 80s could easily be replaced now by equivalent belts that could last much longer...

Unfortunately, I doubt that batteries for a laferrari for example will be ever replaced as spare parts by batteries of another and much better technology.

That is too bad and I hope I am wrong, but I haven’t seen Ferrari so far introducing replacement improved parts for past models using different and improved technology.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Boomhauer and Marcel Massini like this.
  3. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    917 re imagined

4. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    15 K is not much when you pay a couple of millions for the car.
    If I had the money to buy a modified LaFerrari, I couldn't care less about the costs of maintenance.

5. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  6. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    The large battery is 250k

7. EmreT

EmreT Karting

Oct 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Emre
    x z8 likes this.
  8. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    Still not much. If you pay around 1 million once every 5 years to keep your dream car in good condition, it's not that much

9. RomanD'

RomanD' Karting

Nov 5, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roman
    Where 1mm figure is coming from?

It is much. First of all, it's an overwhelming feeling that you being taken for an idiot by the manufacturer. Secondly, when you can have another dream car (Enzo, F50, 288 GTO etc.) that cost about as much while being rarer, and several times cheaper to maintain and free of electronics (not Enzo), it kind of becomes a factor.

I can't say I wouldn't look LaFerrari's side but the battery situation defenitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Boomhauer likes this.
  10. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Also there are several cars in the market that are being sold with known (sometimes undisclosed) battery issues. Nothing that can’t be fixed, but it sours the buying experience and sullies the image of this great car. It also tells you that the previous owners agree with you on this being an unacceptable cost, which is why they sell the cars without paying for it.

11. RomanD'

RomanD' Karting

Nov 5, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roman
    Yeah, would you agree that having an up-to-date batery tech for LaFerrari on the market would support values of the cars? And I'm not talking about more power, just weight and reliability. What is acheivablower in terms of power density went a long way since 2014 and the tech is out there, it doesn't neeed to be developed from the scratch.

12. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    It's not only the battery, supporting components such as the inverter (DC->AC) that costs about $30K in the LaF that are also, apparently, a "consumable", it is possible to remove/effectively disable the electronics from the LaF and do without. But on a car like the SF90 where reverse gear is dependent upon the electrics you can no longer do that...

F2003-GA likes this.
  13. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Agree...I am amazed that neither Ferrari nor Porsche/Maclaren have done anything to update the battery tech on their cars...

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I was also amazed that year to year within the production of a particular model Ferrari does not upgrade components like brakes. They continue to offer a flagship at top dollar prices while a newer version of a lesser model in the lineup gets the better parts. So it does not surprise me that they would not upgrade something like a $250k battery unique to a specific car no longer in production.

15. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  16. EmreT

EmreT Karting

Oct 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Emre
  17. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Pretty vague report...

SV

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Can the LaF run with a dead hybrid battery? The car has a starter motor so it looks like a divorced system unlike a hybrid like the Prius that has no starter motor. Could you just remove the dead battery and have a lighter weight LaFerrari that still works?

Edit: I see the battery costs $160k or so, but what's the weight? https://algarferrari.com/store/kers-battery

19. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    As I understand it, the LaF breaks if the battery goes flat. So no.

20. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #174 werewolf, Aug 23, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    Correct. If the hybrid/KERS battery is dead, LaF is immobile (at least, in the early days).

Further, the hybird/KERS system is fully integrated into the driving dynamics. The ICE engine is tuned for higher-RPM performance, knowing that the electrical system augments low-end torque. Optimal throttle response on corner-exit, is also a carefully-engineered between hybird/KERS and ICE.

You would not want to simply "disable" the hybird/KERS system, and expect a "better" driving experience.The ICE and hyrbid/KERS systems were not independently, separately optimized.

Also, the weight penalty of the batteries is not as severe as one might think. You get a healthy power/weight benefit from those batteries, plus the benefit to driving dynamics already mentioned. Finally, they are situated low in the vehicle to help lower the center-of-mass.

imahorse and G. Pepper like this.
  21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Well that sucks about the LaF not working with a dead KERS battery. The LaF and TDF share a very similar engine and parts otherwise...even the same starter motor so I assumed the car would still start and run with a dead KERS battery. Would be interesting to see how it would perform without the hybrid system as basically a mid-engine version of the F12 TDF.