Kidney Stones | FerrariChat

Kidney Stones

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by beast, Aug 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    All I can say it that they suck. I was sitting around home last evening when all of a sudden I had a sharp pain in my r. lower back. After trying to get some sleep I realized that I was not going to get sleep. I ended up going to the ER at 2 this morning and after a urine sample, blood samples and CT scan. I was diagnosed with them:(

The pain was just off the scale it was worse than anything I have ever encountered in my years of racing motocross and jet ski's.

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's horrible Rob. Are you taking some medication to try to dissolve them?

Is kidney stones the ones passed through urine?

3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    They found 2 very small ones in the urine sample and the doctor thinks that I have a bunch of "Sand" still in there. As for meds he suggested Ibuprofen and drink tons of water and Crystal Light Lemonade.

The worst part right now is trying to lie down and get some rest, I actually went into work today to do my 1/2 day, and actually felt better towards the end of the shift:)

4. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    my father used to get these in his 30s when I was a boy at one point being rushed to the hospital so take care! Not sure how good you are about your health but everyone I've known my father included who has had these were seriously not health conscious biggest thing it seems was a lack of water on my fathers part even when told to drink more he's always been a big pop drinker

5. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I would say that I fall into that category also:( The biggest thing is when I lived in AZ and IL the water was so nasty that i did not even want to boil pasta in tap water much less drink it. Lets face bottled water can be a pain in the A$$. At least here in MT the water is so pure where I live the tap water is almost addicting to drink;)

6. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    That sucks man... I used to get them all the time. Between 18-26 probably once every month or two. I drink water like a fish but for some reason they keep forming up and popping out. I went about 6 years without any until recently. Just had 2 in the last 2 weeks. Luckily they were small sand sized ones, but even that hurts like hell. I hope you don't get anything bigger... It'll pretty much make you wish you were dead.

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Robin - Is your avatar indicating how big the stones were? Yikes!

8. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Sorry to hear that Rob! Get betta! :D:D:D:D

Austin (PWIT) :D:D:D:D:D

9. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Thanks to be honest this evening I don't even feel any pain in that area any longer. Oh well just another fact that I am getting old even though I refuse to grow up:D

10. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Best of luck to you. At least it seems they are small particles.

I remember my grandfather having them a few years before he passed away. He had one so bad he didn't, rather couldn't piss for something like 2 weeks until the pressure finally forced it through. Hurt worse than hell.

11. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Yes but not the painful stones :) Man I have some stories though... large stone + stuck + tweezers...ugh. Shoot me now.

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #12 wax, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Passing it is better than the alternative--where they go up and pull it out. Ask me how I know.

14. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I had a terrible bout with kidney stones about 20 years ago, I ended up getting laser surgery once, and ESWL (shock wave) treatment once, plus 2 ambulance rides and about a dozen trips to the hospital. My lesson: when you need to pee, GO PEE!! Don't wait until you have time to pee. My last attack was about 6 years ago.

15. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Usually once a stone fromer, always a stone former! Analysis is imporant as manipulating food and drink may help somewhat. No lecture, but they are sure painful!
    Docf

16. buckminster

buckminster Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    On the water, SWFL
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Raftis
    I find synthetic morphine (hydromorphone) is great for the stones. A male can usually pass up to a 5mm kidney stone. 80% of the stones are calcium carbonate, and this can come from lots of soda (C02 creating carbonate), and some scientists believe it is caused by a modified gene that precipitates out the calcium from the blood. Lots of water, minimize the dairy and high calcium foods, and minimize the sodas: should reduce if calcium carbonate based.

I had two at once in my uretur one time, brutal pain, lying on the floor, crying like a baby - could not wait for the morphine. Next day, no problem!

Many causes for kidney stones and many types.

17. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I was offered pain killers but I declined as I they really don't do squat for my pain other than intensify it.

As for the stones have not had any pain in my kidneys in over a week now, and have only drank 1 soda in nearly 2 weeks. Cant say that I miss drinking them.

18. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    #18 308nut, Aug 28, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    That sucks Rob, glad you're feeling better

My 11 year old daughter had a kidney stone 5mm in diameter, it was too large to pass and she had to have surgery to remove. They went in a use sound waves to break it into small peices to extract. She was in severe pain for sometime.

Wade

19. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I can second that. Passing is MUCH, MUCH better.

20. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    mine were zapped with the latest ultrasonic gizmo, it was a non-event. I did not want to wait for them to pass while I was traveling. Actually, I didnt want them to pass anywhere for the reasons you have all mentioned.
    Malcolm

21. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mine pass as small sharp flat paint-chip-like pieces that do a good job of cutting along their path....very painfull like all the rest.

Beev

22. BigSky355

BigSky355 Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hope you are feeling better Rob. Make sure you have some followup with your Doc to confirm that the stones have passed. Every once in a while the pain will go away completely but the stone is still stuck in the ureter. That can lead to bigger problems down the road. Good luck.
    Chris

23. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    #23 beast, Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
    Thanks Chris,

My doctor also happens to live in the house right behind mine so It is real easy to check back with him. As for further rocks He is thinking that they are very very small grains of sand so they are being relatively painless for myself as they pass.

The worst part of this is all of the water I have been drinking and just feeling bloated from it. As for slowing me down it has not one single bit. This weekend I spend most of it camping and hiking up in the Beartooth Hyw. area.

What part of MT are you hiding out in??

24. BigSky355

BigSky355 Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm in Billings/ How about you? Glad you are feeling better. Kidney stones are the real deal.

25. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    About 125 miles away up in Lewistown.