Keep this girl in your prayers, please. | FerrariChat

Keep this girl in your prayers, please.

Discussion in 'Texas' started by BlackBird007, Jun 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #1 BlackBird007, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
    On Monday night, a good friend of mine, named Jaci, was involved in a very serious car accident. The person driving with her over-corrected, lost control, and flipped twice. She was ejected from the vehicle and she landed on a barbed wire fence, breaking her back and neck. The driver escaped with only cuts and bruises, but as you can imagine, is extremely upset.

Yesterday, she underwent surgery at Harris Methodist in Fort Worth. The surgery went great, but she has no nerves from the waist down, and she has been given just a 2% chance of walking again. Currently, she is in ICU and has been slowly improving. Today, she was able to breathe on her own, and move her arms a bit.

I'm asking all of the people reading this to keep Jaci and her family in your thoughts and prayers. Jaci is a very good person, and has some of the best people staying by her side right now. She has a heart as big as Texas, and is a very good softball, volleyball, and basketball player. She had a very promising future in one of those areas until these events unfolded and sidelined her.

We have a trust fund set up for her and her family. If you would like to donate, send me a PM.

We are also hosting a car wash this Saturday from 10-2 at the Grand Salon and Spa in Burleson. For those interested in bringing their cars, the address is:
    780 NE Alsbury Blvd, Burleson, TX

For our Facebook users, there is a page set up that you can "like" to receive updates on her and order a t-shirt. It has almost 1,000 likes.
    We also have a seperate website set up here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jerseys-for-Jaci/155511897852637

Thank you for your time.

Kevin

2. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've been at the hospital since about 2:20, and from what I have heard, she is improving. She coughed a bit, was able to eat ice chips, and have a conversation. The next visiting hours are from 4-6. I'll have an update then hopefully.

3. Pogliaghi

Pogliaghi Karting

Jan 2, 2009
    Pflugerville
    She will have my prayers. Hope she recovers - completely.

4. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Terrible thing to happen, will definitely keep her in my prayers

5. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #5 BlackBird007, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
    Thank you for the kind words. They mean alot at this point.

I have an update. Today, she was taken off of the feeding tube, and was able to eat ice chips and a tiny bit of Jello, and drink a bit of water. She was sitting up from what I was told (I didn't get to see her), and talking to a few of the people who went back there. Her sister and the boy who was driving when the wreck happened were back there most of the day. He told me and everyone else in the room that they were watching That 70's Show while they were back there in her room. Jaci was asleep, but woke up every 5 minutes, laughed a bit, and went back to sleep.

Around 5, they gave her a breathing treatment, and has been asleep pretty much since then.
    Even though I didn't get to see her, I'm satisfied I got to go and be with some of her friends and family for about 5 hours, and hear some updates.

I'm trying my hardest to go back up there in the morning, or some time tomorrow.

Also, Autobahn Porsche was kind enough to donate a free 911 GT3 RS promotional poster (a HUGE one) to me. I plan to let her friends and family sign it.

And I just heard this. She can now move her wrist and fingers!

6. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Fantastic news! We will keep her in our prayers.

7. Osiris_x11

Osiris_x11 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Prayers & then some offered from this end. A strong girl, a special girl... god bless! :cool:

8. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #8 BlackBird007, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
    Thank you guys for the kind words.

Nurses requested no visitors today so she can get a full day of recovery.

She had a rough night last night. Alot of coughing. She's really frustrated that she can't get the congestion coughed up.
    Jaci got to go outside this morning for a bit. She sit in the sun in a meditation garden with a waterfall and stream in it. She really enjoyed it from what I've been told. They also moved her into a room with a better window view. Speech is getting better for her. The speech therapist came in and is seeing if her throat is ready for solid food.

Our car wash is tomorrow as well. If you're interested in coming, the address is in the first post.

9. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    We are starting to sell wristbands for $5. All proceeds will go to her family. If you are interested, PM me. We only have 500, and the number is quickly dwindling.

10. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #10 BlackBird007, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
    She is doing a bit better today. I've been told she ate a bit of chicken. Wrist movement is a bit better, and she is gaining some feeling back in her fingers.

11. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Here is another update.

Jaci ate a few different foods today. She ate a small sandwich, part of a chocolate chip cookie, and drank a bit of a Starbucks drink. Also, when they put a strap around her when she was in her chair, she said she could feel it around her waist!

Her mom told me they were going to get Buffalo Wild Wings and watch movies in their room tonight. When I left, about an hour ago, they were about to give her a bath and massage.

Tomorrow is her last day at Harris. She will be transferred to Baylor on Monday to start rehab, if things go good. I didn't see her today, and tomorrow is my last chance to see her before she gets transferred.

12. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #12 texasmr2, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
    My prayers are with her and everyone else touched by this event. Thing's like this have a huge impact on me yet it is great too know she has a good (strong) support team and that is the most important thing at this time.

God bless,
    Gregg

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Best wishes

14. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thank you guys.

I showed her mom and a few other people this thread at the hospital today, as well as the identical one I posted on DFW Auto Club. They wanted to give everyone who read/posted in this a big thank you.

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Your welcome Kevin. Please keep us informed and let her parent's know that she and they are in our prayer's. If I can do anything for you or for them just let me know.

All my best,
    Gregg

16. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Sure thing Gregg.

17. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #17 BlackBird007, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Already getting ready for tomorrow. For some reason, I have a good feeling about tomorrow. Pretty much taking the same stuff I took with me today:

PSP, with Madden '07, South Park, and a USB charger
    iPhone charger/plug-in USB adapter
    Some old car mags
    Some ones for vending machines

Also attached is a picture I took in the waiting room today. It is a wristband that I bought from Jaci's sister (JLM are her initials).

Today, we also got our first signatures on the poster that Autobahn donated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Very cool indeed!!! It is very important in one's recovery knowing that they have a strong support team there for them.

All my best,
    Gregg

19. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Indeed it is. I remember having surgery in Canada in 2001 (got stuck up there because of 9/11 too), and just having my 3 closest family members and of course the nurses and doctors as a support team. :eek:
    No friends, but I didn't mind that at all. Any size support team will do. :)

Logged on to Facebook to see an update and 2 pictures from her dad.

Jaci slept most of the night last night! Coughing is almost gone and her congestion sounds a lot better. Around 5 this morning, they took X-rays of her left lung (which is where most of the congestion is), and they will come by sometime today to let her parents know what they think. They may take her outside today as well. And...she is back on the phone again. lol. But, it's great that she's getting back to the Jaci we have come to know and love. :eek:
    It's also great that she has gotten this far within a week of the accident.

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Do me a favor ok? Tell her that Gregg has her in his thoughts and prayers. I aswell have had a close encounter and almost met my maker so I understand...

21. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I will when one of her parents come out. :)

22. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Gregg, I let her mom read that post. She said thank you.

Today, Jaci will be out of ICU!

23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Great new's Kevin and thanks for passing on our/my thought's. I have traveled that road and know how difficult it is especially as a peace officer as we tend to care more about other's than ourselve's.

I'm here here for you all and thank you for well you know....
    Gregg

24. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thank you Gregg. I know how hard it is to be in ICU. I've been in there 6 times, and I'm only 16!

Jaci officialy moved out of ICU at about 10 after 2 this afternoon. I helped move all of her gifts to her new room, which is in the Richardson Tower. They decided that she was doing well enough that there was no need to put her in Phase 2 Recovery. They started letting visitors in about an hour later.

I got to see her today. When I walked in, she was alert and had a big smile on her face. She looked pretty comfy in her bed. Her arms were laying on 2 big teddy bears. She was also pretty talkative. We talked about the Rangers game, as well as the Mavs potentially winning the NBA title tonight.

We also presented to her the poster that Autobahn donated. She smiled really big when we unrolled it and she saw the names of people who had signed it around the GT3 RS.

But unfortunately, she is not leaving tomorrow. On Friday night, they found a bacteria infection in her blood. They've been treating it with alot of different medicine. It was getting better, but they decided to keep her here another day.

Her spirits were high today as well, even though she had to watch her favorite team lose to the Twins today.

After I left the hospital, I started to cry tears of joy. It's so great to see her doing this well, and having such high spirits. My eyes are watering just typing this.

25. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I can imagine she is extremely happy right now...because our Dallas Mavericks are NBA CHAMPIONS!!!!