Karting - who's serious? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Karting - who's serious?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by bobafett, Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    You can put a front brake on an 80cc shifter, it is just not SKUSA legal.
    125 shifters run on sticky tires. You can literally burn up a set of sticky tires in 1/2 day.

80 cc shifters run on YDS (hard compund tires). You can have a set for practice and racing. The practice set will last several + all day sessions.

If I were someone brand new to Karting I would either get an 80cc shifter (4K), or a brand new Rotax Max (4.5K). Otherwise you will always be trading up. Get the right product the first time, that is my theroey.

2. ART360

ART360 Guest

Buy a cart? It's the end of the season, get a used ICC shifter, 125. You can get them from 4k to 6k, and they're ready to use. Need either a truck or a van, and I'd start with the B tires (hard) to learn how they drive. Sears has regular track days, and its a total blast.

I guess the cost is about $100 per afternoon or so. You can't get any cheaper thrills. Racing on the other hand costs a little more.

Art

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Seeing if anyone has been to the old track at Woodward lake. I can noit find any info on the net about this closed track

4. ART360

ART360 Guest

I take delivery on my ICC cart this weekend (?) and am planning on practicing Sunday at Sears Point if anyone is interested.

Art

5. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Art -

Thanks for the generous invitation. What time do you plan on arriving at the track? I'd love to join you.

Gary

6. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Art- I would love to observe.

Best!
    Ben.

7. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Art...I may join at Infineon. I'll bring both 100cc carts. I'm either going there or to Atwater. TBA. I would like to check out your new cart though! Chelsea who it ten gets a bit butt-hurt there because she only gets 15 minutes per hour to drive. She is getting better though. Last week she did about 45 in her 80cc Komer!

Bfet / Red..If I make it to Sears, you can jump in one of my carts for a few laps. They will probably charge you to drive, even if its for a few laps.

8. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Art..Your day this Sunday is out for Sears unless you are planning to participate in the race there. Come to Atwater. Its a fun track and you can drive there as a guest of mine. I'll be ther about noon.

9. ART360

ART360 Guest

Directions?

Art

10. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
  11. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I need to be in Michigan on buisness this Monday, and since I don't yet have a GV-SP, I won't be able to make it to the karting.

Have fun guys, see you next time!

12. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Need one of these!

13. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Ben,

Let's split one...I pay for the plane, you cover maintenance. :D ;) :p

--Dan

14. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

The one in my avatar wouldn't be too bad either.

Vincent.

15. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon

Dan- that'd still break me, but OK :) <GULP, calls up my A&P buddy... well, that'd STILL break me, but... Vincent, you know you wanna go in halvsies with me on maint, and where the heck is Art? ;>

Your profile plane ain't half bad for sure, and it comes with such a handsome black accessory!

Best!
    Ben.

16. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Vincent's avatar is sick...totally badass.

Ben: hey man, that's the deal... fo sheezie, pimpin aint e-z!

--Dan

17. ART360

ART360 Guest

Dan if you want to buy a jet, I'll fly it and split the maintenance costs with you. I suggest a Citation X as the best buy, and its single pilot. Fastest around, about 25 - 30m new.

Art

18. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Why can't we buy a depreciated plane? :X

--Dan

19. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Ferrari Fanatic..I do not agree with your statement that 100cc clutch karts are a waste on money. They are not! First off, one should shop a bit. I found my first 100cc, a Tony Kart for $1K in excellent condition. I put a new clutch and tires on it and its great. It turns 57 with my 200 pound butt in it with a 89 tooth sprocket. I just picked up a new (ran about five times) Invader, 100cc clutch kart for $2100 with a tuned pipe. It turns 65. These are very fun karts and the engines seem bulletproof. Its all the speed I need and I am looking forward to my first race.

Art is right about the 125 shifters. Not the place to start. Learn to drive in a 100cc clutch kart. If you feel the need for more speed and performance, then drop the bucks on a shifter.

20. ART360

ART360 Guest

Met up with Peter at Atwater. Great place. However, I think that Peter is right. a 125 is no place to start for those without racing experience. The cart is just to fast to learn. I took Peter's 100 out, and after that I was much quicker in the 125, because I'd been able to look at the track a little more carefully in the 100.

Gary, you should have come along, a great time. Drop me an email, we can exchange phone numbers for the next time. Peter says that he's going to Sears next. Maybe we can all come along.

Art

21. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Art was kind enough to let me jump in his kart for a few laps. After a few laps, I raised my right index finger signaling I will take one more lap (To Art while he was watching from the fence).....I did that three times! What a rush! On the straight-away, his kart was so fast, it just threw you back in the seat. You can feel a few G's. It was a great deal of fun, but your mind has a lot to concentrate on while driving faster and determining the proper shift points on the track, etc....My 100cc is excellent for my first year of racing. One would be foolish to start with a shifter. Thanks again Art!

22. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Art -

Sorry I missed it! Keep me posted for future activities.

Gary

23. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    The Rotaxmax is the clutch kart of the New Melenium. The Rotaxmax would be able to turn nearly the same track times as a 125 shifter. Add the feature of an on board starter and for $4K you have an incredible kart that other people can also drive. The aded benefit is that there is a Rotax and Parilla class to race in. That classi s considered a "Driver's" class as it is all driver skill. The karts are sealed so you can not make any modifications to engine thus creating a level playing field. There are some oex 125 shifter Kart Drivers in that class.

Hey, not knocking the 100CC clutch kartsfor 2K. Add a little more $ and you have top of the line, state of the Art technology.

My .002

24. ART360

ART360 Guest

If you think at a Rotex 125 will run with a shifter, I'd like some of what you're smoking. Seriously there is no way that a Rotex will run with a shifter: no front brakes, no gearbox.

Next time we're at Infenion, please come by I'd be glad to let to try a good runnig shifter.

Art

25. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Ya........And bring some clean underwear!