Karting - who's serious? | FerrariChat

Karting - who's serious?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by bobafett, Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I was thinking - with bad weather on the horizon, a great way to get some driving in would be karting.

There's a new place opening up and I went down to check out the facility, talk to the owners, etc. - we've come up with some *really* interesting ideas for the driving enthusiasts amongst us, including the possibility of running our own league.

So who's interested? I will have to start figuring out how many people are really good to go.

--Dan

2. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    You know I'm with you to the end!

Best!
    Ben.

3. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Dan,

Are you talking about the track in Millbrae/Burlingame? Sign me up, I will definitely go(when my schedule allows).

I drove one many moons ago in Switzerland and it was a blast!

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    That's the one, Noel. They're SUPER cool people... We're trying to figure out a bunch of stuff.

--Dan

5. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I have done the track in Sunnyvale. It was a group session, with quallifying at the beginning, and this determined your position at the start of the race. They also have open track formats and schools.
    At least on weekdays, the key is not to pre-book, but just show up. Nice discounts are to be had that way.
    I still have the printout from the last session. I would love to better my time, I placed in the middle of a pack of 11....
    An excursion there during a long lunch would actually work best for me.

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Luke,

The San Jose place gave a bunch of friends an INCREDIBLE discount for showing up 'late' ... we were a few days early with respect to booking an event, but they were desperate to fill a spot.

As for the Burlingame place - lunches are cool, but this was something like saturday or sunday AMs, and we'll be 'taken care of' :D

--Dan

7. baron

baron Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    I haven't tried karting before and would like to try also. Fill us on the details when you can.

Baron

8. ART360

ART360 Guest

I'll sign up for this. By the way, I've got a 125 shifter, and usually go up to Sears to drive it. You'll need a helmet, boots, gloves etc. I wouldn't do this without any experience because these are very, very fast.

Let me know if anyone is interested, only expereinced need apply.

Art

9. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Art -

Do I understand you to say you are offering your kart for "fun runs"? You DA MAN! Let me know the next time you go up to Sears. I'll buy lunch.

Gary

10. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    What is the best way to get some experience?

Sounds fun it most likely have to be on the weekends for me.

Vincent.

11. storminnormin

storminnormin Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2002
    California
    I'm in, of course. Unless I have another baby.

12. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Art- once I get a few more sessions under my belt, I'll second Gary's offer for lunch at Sears :) *Very* kind of you to offer this to the board.

Best!
    Ben.

PS: Art's not kidding, 125cc karts are nuts. There's a reason F1 drivers often use them in the off season to keep up their reflexes.

13. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    I'm also interested in trying out the Santa Clara carting deal. I have wanted to for a while.

14. ART360

ART360 Guest

Not a problem. However, I would hope that you have some experience in carts. A 125 is a bit of a handfull, especially if you haven't any experience in them. PeterS has a 100, and bought one because he saw what the 125s were all about.

Art

15. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    The 125 is the Premire kart and would definetly be a handful for a Beginner. A 100cc clutch kart would probably be more appropiate for someone starting out. The Rotax Max is a cool deal as it is not a shifter, has on the steering wheel start button versus remote starter assembly, and can turn a decent lap time.

A 125 on Sticky tires (vs. a YDS hard tire), come out of a turn and lay down too much throttle, bind the chasis and that is how I have seen some novices get a broken rib.

Clutch Kart (100cc) or the new Rotax sounds a bit more fitting.

16. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Only taken an 80cc for a few laps before. (so I'd want to work my way up to the 125 very gradually...)

The indoor karts are funny. Slow as all heck and bloated, but the track is VERY slick, so it's still a lot of loose fun, but at low speeds. Completely different from an outdoor track. Like riding an 80cc on ice.

PS: 'bind' the chassis, as in bend it?

Best!
    Ben.

17. ART360

ART360 Guest

The 125 Honda shifter I've got has about 39 - 40HP. The 125 ICC cart I'm getting has about 42 - 43 HP. Both weigh the same, but the ICC has a later chassis, and should be quicker around the track. We'll see.

However, unless you've got a bit of experience, the 125 can intimidate you big time. It's much quicker than the 355, and the handling is also much quicker. If you can catch the cart before it spins, you can easily get the 355 sideways.

Art

18. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    On a 80CC shifter you will spin the tires in 1st and 2nd. An 80cc not only has less HP but they mainly run on YDS (hard) tires. A 125CC has a front brake, (most 80cc do not, SKUSA rule) and run on "sticky" tires.

If you come out of a sweeper in a 125 and you lay the power down too quickly, the chasis will skip or in the karting world will "bind". That slight hopping action can actually crack your ribs.

The 125s on sticky tires can pull so many Gs that most guys wear a rib protector. Even if the chasis does bind on you in a turn, the Gs can actually bruise your ribs.

With the 80cc, most guys do not wear a rib protector.

19. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Ok, so while the indoor karting is all in good fun and whatnot, let's get serious! Ben - time to buy a pair of 100s?

--Dan

20. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    IMHO do not waste your money on a 100CC clutch Kart. They are around 2k to 2.5K, require a maunal starter, and blow clutches.

If you want a nict Kart, check out any of the chasis and add the Rotax Max, or Parilla engine to it. It has an onboard starter with battery, and since it recently came out, is only available in a newer (circa 2001) frame (AKA Roller).

The other way to go, a bit more agressive but doable, is to get an 80cc shifter Kart. That will teake more skill, but if you have good fundamentals already and/or have had exsposure to motorcycles, an 80 cc to start would be fine.

Many dealers will try to talk you out of going straight to a shifter Kart. Take a self-assesment, and see what is right for you. A Rotax Max, or a shifter.

21. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Dave,

We'll have to talk about it more on Sunday. I am a complete novice.

--Dan

22. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    count my skinny ass in

23. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    That skinny ass is probably gonna run circles around my fat ass! :D

--Dan

24. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    ICC have the brakes up front, correct? Those decelerate at 3G+...

Dan- you know it man! I wonder if we could get 125CC shifters, and then de-tune them to get used to the idea. Or just get an 80 and swap in a 125 when it's time?

80s are fast. I really only want better brakes that don't just lock the rear, and the ability to shift gears (for the added challenge.)

Best!
    Ben.

25. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    A few months ago, I posted the same sort of thread. All replies came back positive! I bought a 100cc Yamaha Tony Kart. The first time out in it was at Infineon. That is where I met Art. He 'threw me the keys' to his shifter kart and I passed (too damn fast!). The 100cc is a hoot! It does 55MPH. A few weeks ago, I picked up another 100cc Invader with a tuned pipe. This cart turned 63MPH. Its just a friggen rush!

I joined the track club in Atwater (20 minutes south of Modesto). Its a great track with good people. Along with the 80cc I bought for the 10 year old, we will start racing. Visit www.elite.net/akc

Yazco Motorsports in Oakdale has a few very good 100cc karts under $2K. Call Frank at 209 848-2278. Good guy who will not bend you over for prices.

I'll be at the Atwater track every chance I get if somebody wants to stop by and try it out. Email me at www.sportcrystals.com.

Pete