Karl Troy | FerrariChat

Karl Troy

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by ferrarioldman, Oct 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    Well this is a fine thing. I just got a text from Karl that they have banned him because of his commercial user name that he has had ever since I can remember. No warning or anything. BAM, You're done. I think that all of his post are gone. I'm sure there are rules here but a little common sense would be nice.

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#2 Ricambi America, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    +1 That is going too far. His posts are local. His recent thread was not directed toward his competitors.

Other very respected shops are on Fchat too, and discuss various aspects of their businesses -- with no more, or less, self-promotion than Karl.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I will just say this once, keep posting if you want to eat crow and make an ass out of yourself. You guys obviously don't know the full story.

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

rob,

it would be nice if you could clarify. ferrarioldman is a charter member of the ferrari community and is seriously respected. karl is also a solid guy.

help us understand your issue.

thank you on behalf of all in the regional section.

best,

pcb

5. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Geez, the saga continues. It's not enough that the Regional Director goes Mustang on us with the attack on David, now an Administrator weighs in. Keep it up and you'll totally wreck the FCA. Besides being one of the original good guys and a world class mechanic, Karl Troy is needed in this club. GROW UP GUYS!

6. Brian Elliston

Brian Elliston F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Brian Elliston
    cliff notes please.

7. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Trust Rob on this one guys. Everything is being worked out. As far as the FCA matter is
    concerned, it has nothing to do with Rob or Fchat. But don't worry, news will be coming
    very soon about that also! :)

8. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Not to address whatever is going on here, but Karl is a stand-up guy. He is honest and hard working. He is fair in his work and pricing. And he really loves cars. He has worked on at least 5 cars I have owned, and in fact, my wife is taking my Mercedes there tomorrow.

Not going to comment on the reasons he was banned, as I don't know the story. But I know the guy and he is top quality.

9. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #9 ylshih, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
    I'll explain something about usernames. A lot of users go way back when they could choose any name they wanted and that was fine. But several years ago, we instituted a rule that only sponsors could have a username that related to their business (business name, website, etc). No one has gone through 80,000 names and scrubbed them, but as usernames go by the mods, in the course of reading, we sometimes note if there's a violation or not. If there is, we do something that could be called a "procedural ban". The procedure is we ban them and send them a note to contact the admin to change their username. Early on we used to send PMs asking them to contact the admin to arrange a username change, but we learned that a lot of users don't bother, we forget, and then there it is again a few weeks or months later and we have to waste time repeating. The procedural ban puts the burden on the user to just get it done. There's no penalty intent involved, as soon as the user selects the new username and contacts the admin (Rob), he's back on. That's it.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, I agree. I hoped it would be worked out by last night, it hasn't, so let me clarify.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the FCA. This has absolutely nothing to do with anyone else (mods included).

I don't know Karl, but name sounds familiar. I hardly ever visit the NC/SC section, doing a broad search yesterday I happened to come across Karl's thread talking about how great business has been, even in this economy. Basically the thread was thanking his customers.

I saw that Karl had a commercial signature with commercial link although he wasn't a Sponsor. I also noticed Karl had the commercial username and a commercial profile. We do run FerrariChat as a business, but more importantly our paying sponsors spend their hard money to have commercial benefits. Allowing non-Sponsors commercial participation is a disrespect to the hard working current Sponsors along with a negative impact on the support of our community.

At first I wanted to get the big stick out as it seemed more than warranted. If I've learned anything over 10 years of FerrariChat.com its not to jump to conclusions and to walk slowly assessing the situation. I first did a past post search and giving credit to Karl I didn't find any other commercial posts in last few months. Karl was Rossa subscribed and I also noticed most (or all) of his posts are in the NC/SC forum. Mike C is our only local mod and he hadn't even been logged on in 4-5 days. I am aware this section is lightly moderated, so took that in consideration.

So after a deep breath I took the best course of action to "soft delete" Karl's thread and freeze his account so I could speak with him. Below is the message I sent to Karl which I thought was clear and nice.

It is simple, I need to speak with Karl offline first. There is no long term ban and nothing to get upset about. Rules are simply Karl needs to be a Sponsor or have his profile represent Karl as an individual and not a business. Since Karl has had that username forever (if he would have posted in any other forum it would have been caught right away), then if he continues just to post in the Carolinas then he can probably keep it.

So I nicely asked Karl to contact me, so far he hasn't and instead has sent out an offline blast. I hope he isn't trying to be a martyr and create drama when the solution is simple. In my eyes my approach would then shift from giving the benefit of the doubt and being nice to taking care of business like we do with other commercial spammers.

I have spoken with David Scott and Daniel offline while encouraging them to have Karl contact me. If you need to understand for someone else this has nothing to do with FCA please contact David. If you need to understand our rules at FerrariChat.com in regards to Sponsorship please contact Daniel as he's usually on top of the commercial spammers and reporting them even before the mods see it.

Thank you.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    FYI, catching up with emails right now. Do have one from Karl about 11 PM last night. Give us a minute. :)

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Free Karl! OK, Karl is unfrozen. :) I want to make it clear again this was 100% my action unprovoked by no one else. I really don’t know Karl and I really know nothing about his business except what I saw in his signature as I was deleting it. I would prefer if Karl had a more personal username, but since he’s had it this long and mostly posts in the Carolinas I don’t mind it for now.

13. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Glad it worked out. In all my time knowing Karl, he has not advertised here...or anywhere. He doesn't need to.

Good call Rob.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    he had a commercial signature and profile link, we reserve that for sponsors. no big deal. Karl is fine in my book.

15. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Thank you Rob for quickly resolving this matter and my apologies again for not realizing that I was breaking rules. If I had been made aware of it before being banned
    I would have complied immediately.
    Thank you also to my friends that immediately got up to stand by my side.

Sincerely
    Karl Troy

16. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Glad to see you back buddy, and congratulations once again on the 600!

17. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    And to think all these years I forgot to bust out the Spam card on Karl!

:p

18. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Thank you Adrian. And what 600? Lol

19. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    You must be slipping too. At least I'm not alone.

Karl

20. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Knowing that Rob is very fair, I knew this would work out. And we all know that Karl is simply the best friend a Ferrari Owner could have....unless buying parts and that is Daniel! lol..we really love you guys for who you are, not what you do.

21. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

that is a pretty nice and meaningful endorsement!

and yes, rob showed good form for nicely informing those concerned and quickly fixing!!

pcb

22. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    David, I appreciate the love as I am sure Daniel does, too. But please remember, I am married. lol

Karl

23. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I understand that, Rob. What I am saying is he has never marketed his business here. I've seen sponsors here try to "sell" themselves, not merely have a link to their website. Karl never did that, so I am sure his using that info was just that...info. Hey, rules are rules...and I know Karl would follow them had he been aware. And kudos to you for the final resolution.

Personally, if I didn't know Karl and I had a tech question, I would give more credibility to his user name than to, let's say, just some guy named Rob ;)

Ah, what a community. :)

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    One reason things went so smooth, Karl had never tried to sell himself before, although his last thread that caught my attention crossed the line.

Commercial posting is a rule and some things are grey and subject to interpretation. Having a commercial username, commercial signature, and commercial profile while not being a sponsor seems a little less grey and that is common sense. Credit to Karl he was playing the game and getting away with it, but I think he pushed it too far and I just happened to catch him.

I don't think for a second that Karl is so stupid to think what he was doing didn't push the limits, but inching forward slowly and keeping it contained in a friendly small area worked for him.

Just ask Daniel if anything I’m saying doesn’t click with you.

25. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you, Rob. I was trying to be polite and just let you know that I think you handled this pretty well.

Now, however, as a friend of Karl's I take offense to your statements above. Karl does not need to "play the game" nor did he push anything to far. You aren't Sherlock Holmes and Karl isn't Moriarty, diabolically trying to get away with something.

I've said it before, but you not knowing the area or Karl clearly have no concept, and it clearly "doesn't click with you". Karl doesn't need to advertise. He doesn't need FChat to survive and put food on the table. His business does not rely on the Ferrari community alone...and those of us IN the community knew of Karl independently from FChat. I didn't see the post you mentioned, but from what I heard, Karl was thanking his customers and friends...not soliciting business.

In one sentence you agree that Karl never tried selling himself...then in the next you say he knowingly pushed the envelope, contained within his small lair.

I get it...rules are rules. But to say that Karl intentionally skirted the line for his own gain is ridiculous...and insulting. You would have had more credibility if you just said "Rules are rules." End of story. But instead, you chose to incorrectly characterize Karl as trying to get away with something...and he got caught. Sherlock Holmes was good, but even he couldn't prove intent.

I've heard of people being banned because they took personal shots at others. What you said about Karl fits that category. Good to be the King.