“K " | FerrariChat

“K "

Discussion in '348/355' started by ClydeM, Sep 10, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    What a waste.

"Anthony James, best known for employing AK-47 machine guns and chainsaws in his creations, then the answer may come as a shock.

You see, the 36-year-old artist bought a Ferrari 355 Spider not for enjoying a piece of Italian supercar mastery, but for the sole purpose of creating a work of art. So what did he do? Did he paint it in a psychedelic scheme, like artists who worked on BMW’s cars, or create a new edition with unusual bodywork colors and bespoke interior?

None of the above: James actually torched it, and then flanked it with birch trunks and put it in a mirrored cube… For the uninitiated, including yours truly, that’s art. "

Such a waste

2. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    Well geez, if he was going to do that he should have at least invited some friends over and provided the marshmallows...

Speechless. That. Ain't. Right.

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I think someone did not get enough attention as a child...

5. dlynes

dlynes Formula 3

Oct 16, 2004
    Augusta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Dave
    one positive note...one less 355...that much more 355s are worth

6. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    #6 cuneo, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
    Being somewhat familiar with the art world, I would think this artist probably did this because it would be advantageous from a business loss perspective, or he's making so much money with his art that it would be better financially to make a publicity splash rather than sell the car. He did say it was a life-long desire, so I doubt he bought it just for destruction. Maybe the headers went south and he realized the burn was better than the top-end rebuild and major? $60K american for a nice F355 Spider isn't that much when we're talking about the art market. Celebrity artists are just celebrities, and like the Kardashians they need to find ways to be noticed. Marketing is king in that business, like most.

At least it wasn't a truly rare classic Ferrari. THAT would have made me mad.

7. PCA Hack

PCA Hack Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    He was probably reimbursed by the NEA.

8. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It's still pretty sad... it's not like Ferrari is making any more - there's a finite number of these cars in the world and it's ever diminishing through unplanned tragedies anyway. There's no need to deliberately reduce the number.

If he did it for the reasons you're saying, then the "artist" is a pretty ruthless guy and, in my eyes, not at all a Ferrari enthusiast. No enthusiast could ever torch a Ferrari, even if it wasn't in running condition.

Sincerely,
    Andrew.