Just finished my first CART race | FerrariChat

Just finished my first CART race

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ART360, May 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ART360

ART360 Guest

Entered the Tony 125 shifter in the Grand Masters Class, qualified 18th (out of 20), finished the heat race in 14, finished the final in 13th. Didn't get bunted off the course, and picked up about 2 seconds a lap from qualifying to the final 56.7 seconds to 55.1 in the final. I think that the leaders were doing 50.1s, so I've got my work cut out for me, but since I started in practice at 59s, I think that I can get better.

It's neat to be racing again.

Art

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Art,
    That's so cool. I am about to start racing my 125cc TonyKart shifter out here in Colorado. Like you, I have my work cut out for me.

3. ART360

ART360 Guest

Did you get the 04 chassis with the self adjusting brakes? I have an 03 and I have to bleed and adjust the brakes every race. What a pain. I think I'm going to get the later chassis. This is going to screw up your riding, because with the cart, you get into the corners a whole bunch harder, but the exits, and the corners are a little softer, i.e., you don't want to get sideways on the cart, slows you down, but on a bike, you can use the spinning of the rear tire to shorten up the corner.

Art

4. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    Art, how is your total weight? Are you above the minimum? It makes a huge difference.

Ryan, good luck and have fun!

5. ART360

ART360 Guest

The class that I run in the limit is 400#s (Grand Masters). I scaled at 416, with over a gallon of fuel left. Next time, I'll have less fuel in the Cart.

Art

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    That's 'cart' not 'CART' {Championship Automobile Racing Teams}

The difference being about 550 HP this year, adn 700 HP a couple of years ago.

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Yep, the '04 with the self adjusting brakes and the 48hp ICC Vortex. I noticed the difference in the corners already. The entries are so different because you just have to turn in and get it done. It's totally different than Motorbikes.

8. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Either way its NOT 'CART' !

10. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    That is a significant amount of extra weight. 4% over the limit. While there is not a linear correlation between weight and laptimes, it certainly helps a lot to get rid of those extra pounds. (if there was a direct linear relation between weight and lap times, 4% would correlate to almost 2.5 seconds on a 60 second lap) I always hated to handicap myself from the start. You can probably do just fine with a quart of fuel left in the tank at the end of the race. It was always my goal to be right at the weight limit with about a quart left in the tank at the end of the race.

Nice to read that there were that many starting in the race. Were all the 20 in the same class, or did they combine classes? I really need to start racing again...