Just about to order Challenge wheels for $2,500 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Just about to order Challenge wheels for $2,500

Discussion in '360/430' started by sanfran, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
  2. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Can we just buy rear wheels ? Would hate to get ride of my set of cs wheels.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
  4. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Caphill, nchhotu, one4torque and 2 others like this.
  5. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Wow, fantastic!

You should post a before and after if you get a chance.

6. sanfran

sanfran Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 10, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    #131 sanfran, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    WOW! Looks fantastic in red with the Challenge wheels. You took great great pictures. Enjoy your awesome car.

What are your impressions regarding driving dynamics compared to your OEM 18s?

one4torque likes this.
  7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Amazing how the stock star wheels date the car and make it less aggressive.

Marcopolo3382 likes this.
  8. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I have cs wheels but I love the star wheels i think they look nice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have BBS Challenge wheels I just put on and they have transformed the handling of the car but oddly and to my disappointment I think the car looks nicer with the starfish. My friends say the starfish looks classier and the Challenge / CS wheels look racier. I'm getting used to them. It's amazing though how that extra half inch of width and the 7 lbs less of unsprung weight have amde the car perform though. I had just replaced my tires on the starfish wheels with stock sizes about 300 miles before i bought the challenge wheels so i just reinstalled them on the new wider wheels. It's been great

brookliner7 likes this.
  10. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Yes, the car feels amazing. It feels faster, lighter and more nimble. I feel like I could throw it around in and out of turns better. Almost like I could control it to simulate being out of control if I wanted to. if that makes sense.... pretty much make the car do what I want it to. The way it was on stock wheels was very on or off. Either you were going to understeer like a fat pig or you had to put your input in way early to prevent it. I feel now as I can almost change my mind at the beginning of the turn and come out of the turn differently but I can also understeer greatly if I am not committed on how I want to take the turn. I'd say it a lot more neutral of a handling car. Still will understeer but it's more controllable and predictable. I am able to whip it out of the understeer where as before you were going for the ride off the road if you went into the turn too hot. It honestly felt like I got in another car. I still have to get the car aligned and didn’t want to go further than 8 miles or so on the tires before the alignment. I will give more feedback after the alignment when I can really get into some curves and drive it more spirited.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

sanfran and brookliner7 like this.
  11. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    what tires did you put on the 18" BBS challenge wheels that were stock size?

12. sanfran

sanfran Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 10, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    The design of the 18" and 19" Challenge wheels is not identical.

The silver wheel is 18". The gold wheel is 19".

The 18" Challenge wheel was intended and designed specifically - and only - for track use. Road use was not intended by Ferrari. These wheels come with warning labels from BBS. As you can see the German warning is a lot longer than the English warning. It says these wheels have not undergone the necessary required testing for road use.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Sanfran, this has been a wonderful thing for the community! I have a question about the center caps. I purchased some OEM caps that turned out to be too small. Are the center caps a standard ferrari size? Maybe I just ordered the wrong thing. It is wonder that center caps came with the wheels, I just prefer the OEM ones with silver accents. If anyone can help me figure out what to buy it would be much appreciated!

Wheels and tires gets put on the car next week! I'll post photos then.

14. sanfran

sanfran Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 10, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    The factory did not follow my specifications for the center cap diameter in order to minimize weight. They did supply their center caps instead.

We still have a way to use the Ferrari center cap. My old HRE wheels used this method. We can modify the supplied center cap to act as an adaptor to use the Ferrari center cap.

See the attached image of my HRE center caps.

In order to do this you have to remove the horsey logo sticker with a pointy knife from the center cap and dremel out the center. If you heat up the center cap with a hair dryer it will come off easier.

I have not done this one my Challenge wheels. I like a larger logo size. It adds some color.

If you don't like the logo sticker I can also find you other stickers. Maybe a black background with a silver horsey? I can get almost any color made.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

brookliner7 and Caphill like this.
  15. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I put Firestone Indy 500s on. I was not expecting much but gave them a shot, they were really cheap it was less than $700 installed for the whole set of 4. Performs better than the Bridgestones that were on before even when they were new.

I am aware the 18" are not DOT approved but they are fine. MANY people run them and I have not had and do not expect any issues. If you hit a very large pothole you may break a spoke and then the wheel is garbage but that could happen with any wheel. There is not going to be some catatrohic failure while driving. I inspect them weekly and they are good to go

For the center caps I had the same issue. The factory 360 caps are too small. What i did was take gorilla tape and wrap it around until i got a overall diameter that i could then pressure fit into the wheel. It took a little trial and error but i've had them in for 1k miles and they are as secure as factory and this has been in very hot conditions, etc. Just wrap them and make them bigger and pressure fit them in and you are good to go and have authentic ferrari caps

16. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    It is more that the horse is smiling! I prefer the non-smiling version. :) I do like the larger size. It adds more contrast to my blue car. Incidentally, I just had new floor mats made, and the logo is also different. At this point I just want them to be the same!

How would we go about creating an adapter for OEM center caps? I am not sure I am comfortable with the Dremel method. I have visions of them flinging off at high speed and clocking someone innocent bystander!

-john

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Which Bridgestones did you have previously? The Firestones are on my list as possible replacements for my RE-11s.

18. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    If i recall they were Re-050

19. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    #145 brookliner7, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018

How did you like the RE11s?

I just bought a set of all four RE71R for my set of oliver's 19" challenge wheels, (just arrived today, thanks for the fast shipping!)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Currently have pilot sport 4s on the original starfish

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    The wheels are great. The only thing I think I dislike on them is the centercaps. They are a lot more orange in color vs. the yellow of the factory cap. You can tell this against the color of my scuderia shields but only if you know to look for it. Otherwise you won’t notice it. I do, but only cause it’s my car but it’s not off enough for me to worry about it. I’d immagine the factory challenge centercaps will fit since they are larger as well.

Caphill likes this.
  21. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Leaving the center caps supplied with the wheels would look better in my opinion than having a chrome ring around the center cap dead center of the painted/silver wheel. I’d check to see if the factory challenge center cap will fit. It is larger as well.

22. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    The factory 18" challenge center caps have the same OD as the center caps that are used on the regular 360's starfish wheels, 56mm. The only difference is the ID that clips inside the wheel. The starfish wheels have a center cap ID of 43mm vs 52mm ID for the 360 18" Challenge wheels

23. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Oh ok, I was under the impression they were larger from all the questions asked about the centercaps in the classified section.

24. sanfran

sanfran Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 10, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    nchhotu and brookliner7 like this.