Juke vs Veloster (Hyundai vs Nissan) | FerrariChat

Juke vs Veloster (Hyundai vs Nissan)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by amenasce, Nov 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Thinking of getting either.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2012/veloster/

I have been reading a lot of good thing about Hyundai but some people still think Hyundai arent reliable. How true is that?

Nissan as a brand is very forgettable (bar the GTR and now the Juke). I have never read anything great or horrible about Nissans.

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I test drove both last week while looking for a car for my soon to be 16 year old daughter. We went with a VW Tiguan instead. The interior of the Nissan and Hyundai was just not up to the quality of the VW.

3. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Hyundai's are pretty reliable and they've really upped in quality. I drove a Genesis 3.8GT Coupe and my friend who test drove it with me just bought a 2.0T Genesis Coupe.

4. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    I know several people with Hyundai's who have no complaints. That was in the old days.

As for the Puke, Well..... get a Kia Sportage instead :)

5. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The Veloster hands down. The car looks much better in person. The juke just makes me want to kick a puppy it's just that ugly.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I hear the Velostar is a great car to drive; better than the GTi. And I'd buy a modern Hyundai over a Toyota or Honda, they're that good.

The Juke is more SUV-ish, but tiny inside. Although I give Nissan props for making something that...interesting. (I like it, but understand why people don't)

7. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I certainly didn't say the Veloster is better than a GTI. The dual clutch needs some refinement, but with the 6-speed it's a great car--all the way up to about 8/10ths and then it starts dancing with its two left feet.

On looks alone, the Veloster wins this battle. On content vs price, it wins, too.

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you said it was a better drivers car.

I do think VW/Audi has it nailed with the DSG, at least in non-high performance roles. and my old GTi had similar handling traits...great up to 8/10ths, then it got all wobbly and understeery.

If it doesn't turn into a giant electrical disaster in 20k miles it's better than a GTi :p

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Veloster is a cool looking car. Reminds me of the CRX

10. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Still havent decided yet. The Veloster has 140hp for 1.6 so it has to be worked hard to get the it moving at decent pace.

The Juke is cute outside but inside, it looks like a GM car from the 90's. And i didnt feel the 188hp either.

I can have either at the same price (around 23k).

11. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #11 4re Nut, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
    Interesting vehicles to cross-shop (ie different classes) but I tend to do the same. I like most thought the Juke was hideous when it debuted but it has grown on me especially in dark colors.

IIRC one of the comparisons of small SUVs said it was the most fun to drive but not the best to live with day-to-day.

As for the Veloster I'm leaning that way over a FIAT 500. The 3rd door (for kid access), the additional hip & shoulder room, and warranty are pushing me towards the Hyundai. Interestingly the extra power of the V isn't a big deal for me b/c I've read such glowing reports on the 500's "fun factor" though it is pretty darn slow. There is talk of a 5-door version coming: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/11/hyundai-mulling-five-door-veloster-for-u-s/

As for Juke vs. Veloster...how important is MPG to you and warranty? Both favor the Hyundai.

This might help too: http://www.cars.com/go/compare/modelCompare.jsp?myids=13270,13461

That said, I've not driven any of the above vehicles and am just window shopping at this point.

Keep us posted!

12. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I started looking at the Fiat also for my wife but we decided it's too small for her. I liked it a lot, esp the driving. Much more fun than any car with the same HP..

The Veloster is very nice inside, feels more like a car from today than the Juke which really was a let down interior wise.
    Both are funky to look at exterior wise.

The Veloster is sluggish..The Fiat felt more powerful!

MPG and Warranty are important. My wife drives around 300 miles per week.
    I am leaning more towards the Veloster but she loves the Juke (which i introduced her to..). If the juke interior was a little more up to date...i would have gotten it.

I gave up on the Mini (Interior quality was a let down).
    Unfortunately she doesnt want a Kia or any US car or a VW.

I dont see the point in buying a used car as they are not that much more cheap. The used car market is very strong.

13. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow, interesting. Given the $23K you mentioned earlier I assume you are considering an automatic Veloster? Did you drive a stick and if so your thoughts?

14. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #14 4re Nut, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  15. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    No, my wife doesnt want a manual (we already have my 997 in manual). I was very susprised but then i looked at the torque and HP range and the torque comes at almost 5k rpm vs 2k for the Juke.

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Have you checked the IIHS safety ratings on those two cars?

17. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  18. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  19. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Yecccch.

20. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    :confused:

21. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Do you guys negotiate price by email? I feel like everytime i go to a dealer, it's hard to walk away.

22. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Shouldnt the cars be 2012 by now?

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the fewer times I go into a dealership, the better.

ideally I'll never go...buy via email, ship the car. :)

24. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yes, that's what im doing. I thought they wouldnt reply but i am getting a few responses.

25. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    " Hi Andrew ,

Due to the limited demand for theis car and limited availabilty as well as dealer mark-up we are foreced to ask fro Msrp on all Velosters in some cases $1000 over Msrp. I understand that when shopping for a car we expect deep disounts but this car have ang makup less than $1000. We do offer a lifetime time warranty program as well as lifetime oil changes please let me know if there is anything else I can do. "

Disregard the spelling. But if you admit to having a limited demand for a Hyundai, then having a Markup is not a good idea..