Jiffy Lube Live Experience | FerrariChat

Jiffy Lube Live Experience

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by lashss, Jul 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I want to apologize for the lack of F or even car content...

Any tips on where to sit at Jiffy Lube Live for a concert?

We're going in August and sound quality will be very important to us. From the seating chart, section 203 looks good.

Are the VIP boxes worth it? It would be nice to be able to sit down and have a drink.

Thanks,
    LS

2. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    If it's a rock concert, be aware that people in the row(s) in front of you might be standing up during the show, thus spoiling your view. Perhaps the VIP boxes might be worth the extra expense for that reason.

3. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Indigo girls?

4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    VIP seating is ok, you will get a better mix in that area for sure. The sound board is located center at the ViP level.

I would also suggest paying the extra for the $20 VIP parking. They always let everyone out of VIP parking first and depending on the show it can mean a long wait in general parking.

5. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    I've had my best experiences on the hill at JLL/Nissan. Used to work for TM and had my run of the place for a lot of shows. Being able to lay back on a blanket and just disappear with the music was a much better experience for me. Well, until the Skynyrd show when the bonfires got a bit too close, but then again... what was one to expect?

YMMV

6. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    #6 fou, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
    I just picked up some tickets for Steely Dan in September in the front orchestra VIP, but I am unclear on the seating as well. Web site is not too clear on the arraignments. From what I can tell it is handicap right in front of me at 3rd row, but not sure if they set up seats for special guests. William and Mary did not do, had to settle on University of Richmond

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpgE8CpxZFI[/ame]

7. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Thanks to all for the replies.

I can't do lawn because I want to be able to see the performers closer up...but also want good acoustics so there is always a balance of how far up to sit.

The VIP seating seems like a good bet but I'm wondering if it is worth it.

Good call on the VIP parking...that will be a must.

LS

8. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    I have not been to JLL, but followed a number of stories in The Washington Post over the years about parking being a nightmare. Access roads were not up to the traffic for sold out shows, so getting in and out took a l...o...n...g time. Worst of all were the muddy parking areas when it rained. Cars got stuck and had to be towed out. Now, maybe that situation has been improved (I do not recall any recent stories), and the VIP parking could be a good option, but at the least allow plenty of time before the show to get to the parking areas so you don't miss the first 30 minutes of the show. After the show you can just chill and let the lots empty before leaving. I think you know where to get some nice wine or liquors to enjoy while you're waiting. ;-)

9. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Pay for the VIP parking, get there early. You will get out pretty quickly from the VIP lot (not so the regular lot).

My opinion on live shows is that I want to be as close as I can, acoustics be damned. I can hear good acoustics listening to the recordings. I like the view of what the musicians are doing, and the potential for some interaction, making the whole concert experience more memorable - for me anyway. If acoustics are high on your priority list, then the VIP boxes are supposed to have the best sound. And you can always bring binoculars!

FWIW, YMMV, yadda yadda yadda......

gp

p.s. - who are you going to see???

10. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    No no no Luke!

Justin Bieber concert

You should know better!

11. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    Have waited to get out of there sometimes longer than the show.

It gets muddy even when it doesn't rain... gross... Better to just wait it out and come down inside.

I used to live within 5 miles of the place. When Buffet, any boy band, or Dave Matthews were playing, we wouldn't go to work. We all knew that 17, 234, and 66 would be locked up for hours while the place loaded and unloaded.

Still a good venue though.

12. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    No, but I know someone who may be interested in your extra Indigo Girls tix!!

:)

LS

13. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Thank you for all the replies.

My highlights so far:

Buy VIP Parking
    Sit up close if you want to see the performers
    Get there early

LS

14. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    I've found these to be true for most venues I've been to.... FWIW.

gp

15. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    GP, these are good ideas but definitely not required at all venues. Wolftrap is one place you can walk in moments before the performance and the sound is tremendous from almost any seat.

Then again, it is much smaller.

The issues with JLL are the big reasons I tend to avoid big name artists. I guess I will have to drown my concerns in bourbon beforehand??

:)

LS

16. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    BTW, one of the things I *HATE* about JLL, is that if you have friends sitting in a different section, you CANNOT get into that section to chat with them. They are nazis about that and have pissed me off on more than one occasion. FWIW.

gp

17. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
  18. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    No, that front section is the pit, then orchestra, back by the pillars in the pic are the VIP seating.

Hope that helps.

Robbie and I sat in the pit for RUSH a few years back, great seats, sound is ok, mix is a little better further back. You pick up a lot of the amps and floor sound in the pit.

Just depends on what you want really. Up close and pretty good sound or further back not as close, great sound.

19. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    #19 lashss, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
    Ahh...ok...very helpful.

I saw Robert Plant last night at Wolftrap. We found a parking spot, walked in, used the restroom, bought two beers and found our seats all within 15 minutes. This was also just before he walked onstage.

The sound was the typical Filene Center "very good" and all was well.

It took us 10 minutes to leave the parking lot during a torrential downpour and I was home within 20 minutes.

I'm preparing myself for a not so seamless JLL experience.

LS

20. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Sounds like Wolftrap is the place to go. Good luck at JLL.

gp

21. Arjun

Arjun Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Deep, forget John Mayer and just stick with shows at the 930 club - its the best venue by far within a 250 mile radius.

22. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    #22 lashss, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, Wolftrap is much smaller and they don't book the more popular acts but they have planned operations for their size perfectly.

Arjun, agreed 930 is very good. I fondly remember seeing Fishbone there years ago...excellent.

As 355Dreamer suggested, I may have to put up with JLL if I want to buy his Indigo Girls and Grace Jones tickets!

LS

23. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    We went there recently to see Celtic Woman and we sat stage center but top row upper level - frankly it would have been better to sit in the lawn.