Is it time for an electric Dino? | FerrariChat

Is it time for an electric Dino?

Discussion in '206/246' started by ghenne, Nov 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
  2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Hope not:(

best, Peter

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    There are plenty of fine electric options out there. I don't see the point of hacking up a Dino to electrify it.

A big part of having a Dino is the gasoline engine. The sounds and smelling like exhaust when you are done driving. It is all part of the experience.

I have the same argument with people who do not want to eat meat. I have no problem with it but why do they insist on making foods that look (and often times behave) like meat options without being meat?

Jamie H and TonyL like this.
  4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I have heard there is a company over here that will convert your original Dino to electric and is potentially reversible - expensive and nearly half the cost of the car to do it.. Why destroy a good classic for that.

If i wanted a electric dino, why not buy one of the good kit cars on the market, fit a electric motor and keep your pride and joy safe. Lets face it, the Ferrari is the engine so why not. These guys are looking at developing a Electric kit car version!

https://www.dehavillandmotorcompany.com/gt

Tony

5. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Loads of old P cars being converted with Tesla power trains these days amongst others, 100% agree there are better options than messing with a Dino.
    I had a P85 for about 8 years and it ate tires and rear bushes due to the torque, an older chassis probably needs some engineering work and strengthening to handle it.
    Then you can start to argue about what reversible means.

6. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I couldn't agree more, Rob! The olfactory component of smelling like the exhaust makes you "one with the car." If I didn't experience that post-drive smell, I would question whether I had actually just driven a Dino. Sound is important, but it's not the only thing! We don't need a "green" Dino. Fred

Jamie H and Nuvolari like this.
  7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Took an early evening drive yesterday. Close to zero degree Celsius, sun set and clear skies, smell of gas upon startup, engine screaming in my ears, the single heater struggling to keep my warm with the fan running on max,.....Big grin on my face. Would I have done that in my Tesla if I had one? I think not.

Best, Peter

ps: t-shirt still smelling of exhaust..-:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jamie H, swift53, DinoLasse and 3 others like this.