Is it safe to get Lusso tires changed at a place like discount tire ? | FerrariChat

Is it safe to get Lusso tires changed at a place like discount tire ?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Georgemaser, Dec 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    Can I get my winter/summer tires changed at a franchise tire place (Belle, Discount ) or because of the temperature monitoring along with the TPMS should I take it to a Ferrari dealership (closest one 3 hours away)? Sorry for the repeat post. I just wanted to get the experts thoughts.

2. Tireman

Tireman Karting

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    Any reputable tire dealer can change FF tires or any Ferrari tires ..

3. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Yeah discount tire does all my tire stuff

I have two sets of wheels, one set with r compounds other summer tires they handle all of it

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    There will be no issues with the TPMS sensors. But it is best to not switch the wheels side to side, otherwise the system will have to be recalibrated (using the left side display menu, read your owners manual on how to do it) in order to relearn the TPMS id numbers. If the wheels remain in the same place, the system doesn't know that anything has been changed.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Town Fair Tire in my area does a great job...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You should be OK. The things to be concerned about, in addition to the excellent advice above, would be the carbon rotors- they need to be extra careful not to accidentally bang into them with the wheel- and removing the tires on these low profile wheels is not rocket science, but it can be tricky for those who are not used to it. Basically you want a place that has done some fancy wheels/ higher end cars.

The best practice would be to have a second set of wheels with the winters mounted. This costs more, but you don't have to worry about the place damaging a wheel whilst changing a tire. It also means you could change them yourself, or have someone come to your home to do it as long as they are careful.

otakki and Nospinzone like this.
  7. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I’ve seen paint grind off my wheels with the bead pry bar. Truck wheels so no biggie but there’s a sock for the bar used for nicer/delicate wheels. It probably doesn’t get used that often at generic tire shops. Would they break it out for a Ferrari?Probably.. I hope

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Any tyre shop that can do a proper job is safe. Trust me, just because it says Ferrari on the front, does it not mean that their guys at the shop are the best at changing tyres - far from it in fact. I tend to find that a race/speed shop is the best place to go. Guys who are genuinely interested in making a properly fitted tyre part of a performance setup, are usually the best at it. In all fairness, I've seen just as many high end dealerships where the tyre mounting was as much of slab-dab job by someone who could not care less as they wanted to do something "more exciting" rather than changing your tyres. There are good and bad tyre guys everywhere, and a dealer being a Ferrari dealer is no guarantee for the best tyre fitting.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    As mentioned above, I would worry most about those CCM rotors getting struck and damaged. Another way to avoid that happening is mounting and unmounting the wheels yourself in their parking lot.

10. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I had a low-profile rim lip bent by a tire iron once. I'm always nervous bringing a nice car to a tire change place. I try to talk to the guy doing the work and tip them before to ensure he pays attention.