IRL/Champ Car Merger 2007? | FerrariChat

IRL/Champ Car Merger 2007?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RP, Feb 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Appears there is truth to the story about Kal and Tony meeting. Possible 2007 one series. Panoz chassis, turbo Honda and Cosworth engines, Bridgestone tires.

Miracles do happen? Or maybe its just the realization that both of them were doomed to failure without a merger?

Whatever, I can only hope that once again we have a successful USA open wheel series. And if they hire away NASCAR's PR people............

2. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Well, with Toyota pulling out, that sure pushed up the possibility of a merger.

If I had my druthers, I'll take a turbo car over a high-rpm motorcycle engined car any day of the week.

3. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    They really ought to merge back together. Neither is strong enough to last on their own. Although between the two, I think CART is having a real hard time.

4. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I don't wish any ill will against Tony George, but as long as he is alive, a merger will NEVER HAPPEN!

Mike

P.S. I hope I am wrong.

5. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

You are right. The winner, so to speak, will be the one that has the Indianapolis 500.

6. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    never say never.

They need to dump the rules and go back to stock-block chevies like the F-5000 series of the early 1970's.

Wishful thinking on my part, I know.

7. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    Not many care anymore, and they did it to themselves.

8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

I like your idea, that was a fun series.

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I so hope they will merge.

10. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

I agree.

What would be the best method for a merger? Should there be two venues within the series, one for road racing, one for ovals, with a season end championship utilizing both?

Or one venue comprised of 50% road racing, 50% ovals?

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually I'd like to see 33% road, 33% ovals and 33% street racing.

12. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

I put street racing in the road racing category. I think the series would be interesting at 50/50. The ovals provide the side-by-side you can't get on a road circuit.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I could live with that. I just want to make the point and think it is a strength of the series that they do provide street racing, which IMHO is different from road racing. F1 only has Monaco at this point and I think that is not enough.

14. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Cart and IRL are out of place nowadays in general. F1 and NASCAR both do well largely because anyone can identify with the teams that are racing (ie Chevy, Ford, or Dodge; Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, etc.).

F1 appeals directly to us latest and greatest guys. NASCAR applies to the good ole boys and those that share their sentiments. Who are CART and IRL supposed to appeal to? They both run oddly detuned engines with seemingly no relation to any cool street cars. On top of that, their chasses (plural of chassis?) are built by companies that 99.999% of people have never heard of. Lola, L O L A, Lola...

If they had something worth watching, well, people would watch...

Just my $.02, but if they want a crowd, merge and run 1.5-2.0L turbos with no restrictions. 1500-2000hp and slicks will fill the stands. Drastically cut ground effects to keep corner speeds down and encourage oversteer, just as the gods intended.

15. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

F1 has its own version of "red-necks", and you can see them at Silverstone, Hockenheim, Monza. NASCAR has gone way past the good ole boys, and has appeal to main stream educated America. I love F1, I drive a German car and a Ferrari, and I love to watch NASCAR. I do not see how you can compare an F1 Ferrari to any street car except an Enzo and F50, and those are way beyond attainabilty of most anyone on this forum. BMW, Toyota, Honda, Mercedes, none of their F1 cars come close to a street version.

I think the issue is the power plant. That's why Toyota and Honda have spent so much money on IRL and Champ cars. Personally I like the idea suggested by Whisky above, use engines similar to the old F5000 series. Cost stay down (relatively speaking!), more teams compete, better racing. One of NASCAR's keys to success.

I do think there is room in this country for a single open wheel series as an alternate, or a compliment if you wish, to the success of NASCAR.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I always loved F1 and followed it and by doing so always felt like a "redneck" in Europe. After all it is motorsport and that's really only for the "dumb people". "Smart folks" go to the opera etc. So I always get a kick when people call F1 "sophisticated", "elitist" or even intellectual. :)

A modern F1 doesn't have much in common with your street car and I think the same could be said for modern NASCARs, but it is the allegiance that counts. Or to put it differently: Because I supported the manufacturer by buying one of their products they got $$$ to put into their F1 team.

This country ought to have a open wheel alternate/compliment to NASCAR. There is enough room.

17. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    How would you explain Indy car racing here in the 60's and 70's, because nobody could relate to an Eagle, McLaren or Cosworth back then ???????????

It seems there are a whole bunch of little reasons why open-wheel racing failed in the USA, and just look at all of it today, from Modifieds to Sprint Cars to Indy racing, fan support is down everywhere except at the pinnacle venues, (for sprint cars that would be Eldora and Knoxville) and Indy has empty seats for the 500.

I also put some of the blame on TV - why go and spend beaucoup dollars when you can watch it on TV ? That's also the problem when you have sanctioning bodies with nice TV contracts, they can pretty much call all the shots. Far be it for me to beat on nascar - they spent a lot of years getting to where they are today, I don't like them one bit, but I can't take their business acumen away from them.

P.S. the only 'track' racing I'd go see now is the ALMS, and guess who owns that ?

18. dealerjack

dealerjack Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2003
    SW Florida
    Full Name:
    John
    You may be thinking of the Grand Am series (similar to ALMS) which is owned by the France family (NASCAR). ALMS is owned by Don Panoz.

As a kid growing up in the 60s and early 70s I remember Indy as being exciting because of the technical innovations that different teams brought to the race each year. Many of the drivers were well known names, even to people who didn't follow motor racing (similar to NASCAR drivers now) and came from all areas of motorsport.

19. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    F 1 racing hasn't caught on in the US because it's on limited TV (don't even get Speedchannel) and there's not enough "action": passing and crashes.

NASCAR has everything for the American viewer: local drivers, you can see the whole track at once, crashes, passing, lots of rivalries.

CART used to be popular in the US because it had the higher speeds, spectacular crashes and again, name drivers. Indy was the best race in the world because of the rules. Under the old system, you could show up in almost anything! One year someone put the engine BEHIND the driver, one year someone showed up with upside down airplane wings on his car, one year someone showed up with a jet style turbine engine! You never knew what new, wild innovations were coming.

Plus, you had the best drivers in the world. F1 guys, NASCAR guys, CAnAM guys, you name it. It was a who's who for world class drivers.

Today Indy has turned into NASCAR as far as limited choices of equipment. And we have a bunch of mainly second rate drivers. Hardly anyone at Indy could compete in NASCAR or F1 or they would be. As a trade off, we do have better races. When there used to be one car on the lead lap at the end, now we have 9-10 or more.

I go every year, and I know how the popularity has waned. I used to hit traffic at 7 AM at one spot, now I show up at 8:30 and whizz right in with limited traffic. So attendence is WAY down. I used to pay double face for tickets, now I pay less than face sometimes.

If Indy wants to recapture the magic, the NEED to get the Jeff Gordons, Ernhart Jr's. Schumachers, etc. of the world and get them to show up. Imagine what THAT would be like! Today only a cute chick who's a second rate driver causes a buzz.

Ken

20. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I used to watch CART fairly religiously. Then the IRL came into existence, and took away all of the top teams and drivers to go race in an all-oval series. I lost interest in CART, due to the talent pool, and have never even seen 1 IRL race due to the all-oval format.

If the two were to merge, that would certainly get me to get into it again.

21. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I stand corrected - I thought France's owned ALMS.

22. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Autoweek Rumors:

Merge to start 2007 season. Best 15 races from both series. 2.65 turbo V8 as used in Champ Car today supplied by Honda and Cosworth. New chassis being developed by Panoz for Champ Car to be standard. Tires to be Bridgestone/Firestone. Support series to Champ Cars Atlantic with new Mazda engines with 20 teams committed for 2006.

Champ Car appears to have won this 10 year battle although to express the merger as winning could sour some feelings.

23. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    I can't wait for the two to get back together. While I'll also agree with Whisky a turbo allows a driver to risk a bit more boost in order to over take and does make things a bit more interesting during a race.

I just hope the cars don't look like the current pigs in the IRL. :(

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh, I thought the Champ cars would be the support series to the F1 races.
    :)

Seriously, wouldn't that be awesome at least for the US races?

25. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Ya know guys, my biggest problem is I'm stuck in the seemingly old days when racing was good, fun, and a lot more affordable, and certainly had a lot less politics.

Give me a McClaren from 72-74, an Eagle from '73-75, a March from from 1983-4, any Penske chassis and I'm good. Open wheel racing for me really started to go downhill in about 1992....

But when you get into stupid spec chassis, spec motors and spec tires, I have a problem. I understand they are doing that 'to keep costs down', but that was also the same thought behind IRL, and that didn't even last a full season before prices skyrocketed.

I guess I'm not looking for a series where they try to invent stuff on the track that can translate to a road car (like F1), I am looking for innovation that can make someone go faster on the track.

You will never keep the big money out of racing no matter what series it is, I just don't know how to channel it......