Intermittent cabin fan | FerrariChat

Intermittent cabin fan

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Apr 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The cabin fan (AC blower) in my 512TR will intermittently not work. If I jiggle the wires on the driver's side of the circuit board, it comes back on. I need to track this down and correct the loose connection. Before I make myself crazy with the Italian wiring schematics, does anyone have insight as to the connector (or better yet, wire) that is the likely culprit?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    One relatively easy thing to do is just unplug all of the connectors (one at a time) from the fuse-relay panel and look for a frazzled terminal -- as looking at the (horrible) 512TR schematic to figure things out is way more work ;).

3. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    A few months ago my ac, headlights, windows and others cut out. Steve told me to check the connect on the battery to the fuse board. After a little manipulation everything came back and has been working fine. The yesterday in 102 deg heat I decided to go for a drive. I'm 40 minutes out from the house thinking this ac works great and ouch, the ac and windows etc quit, but the motor was running fine. I plugged and unplugged the connector and no luck. I decided to drive home, let me tell you I almost had heat stroke. when i got home I pulled the connector and crap, the male spade came out of the board. I guess it is toast. It looks like a have 3 choices to replace it David Helms, GT Car Parts, and theunissendguido . Does anyone want to chime in and give me some advise. Thanks Dennis

4. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Which connector ran the AC cabin fan?
    Right now the car stalled while charging the ac system and won't start (no fuel, no spark). The engine turns over briskly and the dash lights are on but also no cabin ac fan. I have the Dave Helms conversion (which has performed brilliantly for over 30K miles) which uses a modified battery connection. I will investigate more today. What fun.
    Now that you mention it, I think there is a fuse in that circuit that I have not checked yet. Hmmm.
    Dennis, you may be on to something.

5. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The one on the passenger side of the pair. does that make sense. As you look at the FB it is the left connector.

6. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The passenger side of the pair of what?

7. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Sorry look for the 2 red wires coming from the battery which plug into the Fuse box. The wire on the left is the one that provides power to the AC , windows and headlights. if your windows work, this is not you problem. The male spade pulled out of my FB.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I've just made up an easier-to-read diagram for the 512TR, Jim.

512 TR Airconditioning Wiring Diagram

I'm not familiar with the variations between models, so this may or may not represent your car. Also, I've already found faults with the original workshop diagram (e.g. a wire which has completely different colours on opposite ends).

EZORED likes this.
  9. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Wow, that is a work of art. I have a few questions:
    #11 - thermoswitch on radiator for cooling fans - where is this in the car? There is nothing on the condensor that I recall.
    #118 - engine oil radiator fans - this is not valid on USA cars (the wiring harness is there, but no fan)
    So, how do the condensor fans know when to turn on? Are they always on when the minimum pressure switch #18 is closed? I assume #82 is the trinary switch located on the receiver/dryer? Besides setting high and low pressure limits, what is the third function of this switch? Is it possibly also the #11 thermoswitch for the cooling fans?

10. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    If I am reading your magnificent diagram correctly,

12v power comes from battery via red wire to fuse #3 on main board (20A)
    then to relay B position 30 (red wire) and out position 87 (green wire) when energized by position 85 (orange wire) from minimal pressure switch.
    the green wire exits connector C, position 6 and travels to the mysterious "thermoswitch on radiator" and then to condensor fans.

In my Dave Helms converted fuse box, fuse #3 is moved to position 6 on a separate fuse panel energized by direct battery connection and then travels to relay B which is now also mounted separate from the fuse box. The relay output 87 bypasses the fuse box and connects directly to the green wire, now separated from connector C, which then heads to the fans.

I have not confirmed this yet, but I will attempt to do so and locate the source of the blowing 20A fuse this morning. In the absence of a shorting relay, it looks like front bumper removal is in my immediate future.

Quavion, you are da man!

Qavion likes this.
  11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    bottom of the left radiator

Qavion likes this.
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Assuming it's on the radiator as the diagram says, it might be item 56 on this Ricambi diagram (part number 158655 on the left hand radiator)

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/testarossa-group/512tr/cooling-system.html

Experts?

Sorry I can't help you with the diagnosis... I have no books... just some rough pdf diagrams which I found online which I have started to convert to gif diagrams by redrawing them line by line in Windows Paint.

From the diagram, it looks like the ECU is turning on the fan (and compressor). The signal from the ECU to the compressor does go via the pressure switches (at least on unmodified cars). I'm kind of surprised to see that the compressor doesn't use a relay. All the current going to the compressor clutch seems to be coming from the ECU. The ECU must have some "beefy" circuits in it.

(EDIT: sorry, crossposted with turbo-joe)

13. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    OK, I thought there was a separate thermoswitch for the ac fans but it makes sense that this is tied to the coolant temperature, but if this were true, wouldn't the ac fans come on at the same time as the radiator fans (they don't), or does the ECU somehow monitor the temp and turn on the ac and coolant fans at different temperatures? Does the switch provide a range of temperatures to the ECU which then controls different circuits at different temperature settings?
    Where on Quavion's diagram is the main ECU?

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Top, right hand corner (#28)

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #15 Qavion, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Looks like I mislabelled one of the thermoswitches... I just uploaded a new diagram (use original link). Refresh browser as required.

In the corrected diagrams, there appears to be two thermoswitches on the radiators ??? Not sure I trust these diagrams :p

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #16 Steve Magnusson, May 3, 2020
    It should've been called "#11 - thermoswitch on condensor for condensor cooling fans" (although, technically, the condensor is a radiator). Its position on the schematic implies that it senses the temperature of the hot compressed refrigerant entering the condensor. On the preceding models, this thermoswich was mounted in contact with the metal pipe portion of the tube supplying the hot compressed refrigerant to the condensor inlet, but I don't see it identified separately in either the 512TR SPC nor 512TR OM. They must have considered it as part of the condensor. It's just a thermoswitch in series with the fan wiring so you should be able to find it by following the fan wires (please post a pic when you do).

turbo-joe and Qavion like this.
  17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's for a TR (not a 512TR). That's the one that gets held to the outside of the metal pipe portion of the condensor refrigerant inlet tube by a metal spring clip.

Qavion likes this.
  19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #19 Qavion, May 3, 2020
    Thanks for the clarification, Steve.

I've relabelled the diagram as per your previous message. Now already up to version #4 :rolleyes:

512TR_Airconditioning_Fig9

So the radiator fans are controlled by the thermoswitch on the LH radiator and the condenser fan is controlled by the thermoswitch on the condenser.

20. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Let me preface this reply by stating I am the LEAST experienced of all previous posters.
    I replaced the condensor fans in 2014 because the 20A fuse kept blowing. See post "
    512TR AC fan removal photos" 9/2/14). I don't recall seeing any thermoswitch on the condensor or lines (unfortunately I was not I-phone aware at that time and the photos were done with a digital camera and stored in some dark recess on my hard drive).
    The 512TR has only one thermoswitch for the engine coolant temp, located on the bottom of the LH (driver's side radiator). This switch closes (completes the circuit) to turn on the coolant radiator fans at 195 degrees. The AC condensor fans come on way before that, so there must be some other input to signal the condensor fans to start.
    On the receiver/dryer is a Trinary switch with limits for high and low pressure cut-off and also a third (hence, trinary) function to turn on the ac condensor fans at a pressure of around 240 mm Hg. Makes sense to me that this is the signal for the fans rather than a temperature switch. The temperature of the freon (or equivalent) and the pressure should be related, right?

That's my two cents on that matter.

As far as the 30A fuse blowing, I did some testing. On the Dave Helms conversion, 12v power comes into fuse #6 on the separate little fuse panel and goes to relay #6 mounted to the back of the board, and from there to the fans. Relay #6 should need input from the trinary switch as well as the AC push button controls.
    I installed a new 30A glow fuse and started the engine and the AC. The fuse blew within seconds. I changed the relay and put in a new glow fuse. Same thing, but I was able to record an amp draw of 14.3 before it blew. Hmmm. I put in a non-glow fuse and everything worked perfectly and stayed working and now the amps read 13.48. The AC once again blows cold air. WTF? I can hear that both fans are working. It seems that the glow fuses blow earlier than advertised.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here's some further mystery. If I turn the ignition switch to run position and turn on the AC, both fans run and draw 11.42 amps, about right for advertised 5.3 amp draw per fan. But with the engine running and the AC on, the draw goes up to 13.48. Why the 2 amp difference? The fans are just drawing air and should not be affected by the AC being on or off, right? Maybe someone can enlighten me
    But, bottom line, it all seems to be working and I did not have to remove the bumper (yet).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Qavion, your diagrams are professional quality. When I print them off, they are way too small to read. How can we get the final draft blown up like the WSM schematics?

22. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    With the engine not running and the battery supplying ~10A = the battery voltage will be something like 11.5V~12V.

When you start the engine, the alternator boosts the battery voltage up to ~14V = the fan motor current goes up and the fans run a little faster.

turbo-joe likes this.
  23. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Well, there you go, that makes sense. Do you have an opinion regarding glow fuses?
    As far as I am concerned, this issue is resolved and I'm going driving. Ain't science wonderful?

24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    can you post please a picture of a non glow fuse. from such a fuse I never hear before

a 30 A fuse never may blow at not even 15 A

steve explained this very good ! ! !

25. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No. No experience with those.