Insurance in Michigan | FerrariChat

Insurance in Michigan

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by Tarheel, Jun 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tarheel

Tarheel Rookie

Feb 7, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Full Name:
    Ritch
    I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

I'd love to get some thoughts from the F community on insurance in Michigan. I currently insure my 2013 California 30 through AllState along with my home and other cars (my Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and cars for wife and two teenage drivers). I have a 2015 458 Speciale in production this month. I will keep the California. I'm looking into perhaps switching to a specialty provider to cover both F cars. I'd appreciate any thoughts from the group on your experiences with providers in Michigan. I have found insurance here to be much more expensive than any state where I've lived. Before I just kick another car over to my existing policy, I'd like to find out what others do.

Thanks for your input.

2. BAK

BAK Karting

Apr 14, 2007
    Novi, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Not sure if this will help.....I live in Novi and my 430 Spyder is $ 2317.00 per year with Allstate. I have wifes car, house, 2 boats, motorcycle and snowmobile also with them. A few friends recomended Hagerty, however they wouldn't touch it stating, they only insure show cars, driven to shows and parades. Hope this helps.Good Luck

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Michigan insurance is sky high. I use State Farm since they'll let you turn it to comprehensive whenever you want. One/off as often as you want. My premium drops to $60/month when I'm not around, or in Winter it's snowing. Can easily save you a few grand each year.

I should call Allstate and ask them about my car since your 430 Spyder seems kinda cheap.

4. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    i just quoted out a 575 and it was 3K, Which I thought was Hi, considering it spends more time in the garage then my other cars. Looking for other options. Maybe stated value?

5. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I have USAA, Its not bad but not that great, Grundy doesn't seem bad agreed value and no mileage restrictions.

But your in Michigan, no fault state so you pay EXTRA for uninsured drivers and the catastrophic claims fund.

We get ripped off Here and I can't say when I lived out of state that I missed this BS insurance we have.

Don't forget insurance depends on a lot of things. Location being one. Your own driving record and the limits you pick out like I do 100K 300K then don't for get age and the cars your driving are not cheap to fix if wrecked.

Most likely F cars get totaled for minor accidents.

6. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    I have USAA, thats where its insured..Long time member and supporter!! But looking into other options..

7. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I have an independent agent and he hooked me up with Grundy for the 360. Saved me a ton of money, no mileage restrictions, and they will flatbed it anywhere in case of a breakdown.

8. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Michigan Insurance is high due to the unlimited liability. Laws are in the process of changing which will lower premiums, at least that's what I've been told.

Anyway, try Grundy. I pay less than $1000/year for $125k on an '87 TR. No milage restriction but not a daily driver either.

9. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009

10. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James

11. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Oh I have USAA too. I think they are reasonable.

12. Tarheel

Tarheel Rookie

Feb 7, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Full Name:
    Ritch
    All, thanks for the replies. I'll look into a few of these options. Our rates are crazy here relative to the three other states I've lived in. You'd think they'd give us a break given that we can only drive these babies 8 months out of the year in this frozen state.

13. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Although I am in Ohio, I got a quote from USAA (I have 32 years of service in the USAF) it was WAY higher than what I pay through Auto Owners, thousands more, all because of the two Ferraris.

14. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    I use Classic Auto Insurance. It's not the cheapest, it's not the most expensive either. All I know is that I've seen them handle the process for people I know in the event of disaster, and any additional dollars it costs is worth it. I've seen some pretty painful experiences with the bigger general insurers on these type of cars. They do a good mix of exotics and classic cars. Agreed value on my Ford GT and Huracán.

Drew Yagodnik
    8481 Bash St, Suite 1300
    Indianapolis, IN 46250-4526
    TF 800.397.0765 (option 5; x230)
    Fax 317.576.1899
    [email protected]