info for Mille Miglia 2016 | FerrariChat

info for Mille Miglia 2016

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Martin D, Jan 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    Hi everybody,

I'm planning to visit the Mille Miglia this year for the first time. Can you give me some advice on the must does and best places to watch the "race"?

here's what I know so far:
    - scruteneering on wednesday may 18th outside of Brescia - is this open to the public/do we need to buy tickets? what's the best time to be there?
    - start of the race on thursday may 19th in Brescia at 2:30pm

I'm also planning to visit Villa Erba on Sunday on the way back to Germany - many usefull info the other Thread here!

thanks for your help :)

Martin

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You know all already.
    Wednesday all day at the FIERA (Messe) in the outskirts of Brescia. Even better if you show up Tuesday afternoon already. Many cars already there awaiting scrutineering. No ticket needed. Just walk in thru back doors from parking area.

Marcel Massini

3. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    thanks for the info Marcel :)

how is parking in Brescia on thursday? is it a big problem or should I just drive to the city and try to find a parking place?

do you know a good place on the route to watch the cars fly by, e.g. a small town or some mountain with nice corners?

Martin

4. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
    parking on thursday is no problem
    railway station has much space

you should book your rooms NOW

this year will have much more people than the last years
    ( MM and VdE same week )

5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #5 bigodino, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    Hi Christian,

Didn't know VdE would fall in the same week as MM! I would like to include it in my road trip. It would be my first time. Is the public day on Sunday? (Sorry for the thread diversion!)

Edit: sorry, found the other thread with all the answers!

6. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
    yes ONLY sunday

if you want to see the cars on the road between villa d este and villa erba you should be there at 7 am

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    When you are coming back from Modena/Maranello and/or Brescia towards Switzerland, early Sunday morning, just exit at Italian-Swiss border in Chiasso and go towards Cernobbio Sunday morning to Villa Erba, just for that public day, where you can easily buy tickets.
    BTW, the Organisation for VDE has changed now for this year, no more Penta Munich but a new company from Hamburg.

Marcel Massini

8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Mountain passes are great, if they do them this year (not every year). Check route if already finalised (Website). Passo di Futa and Passo Raticosa, on way north from Florence towards Bologna. Route changes every year!

Marcel Massini

9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I would highly recommend the Monza stopover. The cars not only will have a run on the racetrack but also it's a good opportunity to check them closely at the paddock.

10. chrismic

chrismic Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2012
    I'd like to follow the entire MM with my Alfa GT 2000 Veloce. Has anyone done this before? I understand the roads are not specifically closed for the race, are they?

11. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Yes that's possible. Roads are mostly open, but often there will be a detour for non participants in town centers. The participants do go through the town centers where most of the time they will pass on a ramp similar to the starting ramp in Brescia and receive some local promotional products. Mind you that the road will be crowded with not just participants and their service cars, but also normal traffic and many, many followers like you. I'ts worth it though as you will also experience the enthusiasm of the spectators along the roads.

12. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    thanks for all the info :)

hotel is now booked, we'll stay at Peschiera del Garad with the whole family (brothers and sisters in law and our two nieces) and I'll drive to Brescia with my brothers in law at least for scruteneering and the start of the MM.
    we're also considering driving down to Modena to meet the guys of "Pfeffs Mille Migla tour" at the Museo Enzo Ferrari. If we do this, we'll of course visit Maranello too :)

BTW, is the Ferrari Tribute to Mille Miglia event again this year? I haven't found any info so far...

Martin

13. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    #13 Wolfgang, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. F40org

F40org Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2004
    Munich / Ft. Myers(FL)
    Full Name:
    Rolando
    You go with Pfeff & friends, Wolfgang?

15. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    #15 NoSpeedLimit, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    I made the hotel reservation last week. So, apparently there will be at least two cars with Heidelberg license plates in Bardolino.

16. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    @Rolando F40org,
    Yes :D once again a "Pfeff" Tour. I realy love the un-organisation with all the surprises, the group of crazy peoples and the Pfeff-Spirit.

@NoSpeedLimit,
    You are coming from the HD area?
    Do you want to drive together with us (2 x Diablo, 1 x Murci)
    Do we know each others?
    (Sorry, steh ich auf dem Schlauch;) ich habe keine Idee Wer Du bist bzw. Was Du fährst?
    Du kannst mir ja, wenn Du möchtest, eine PM oder Mail an [email protected] senden )

17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #17 Albert-LP, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

I would suggest you the Desenzano crossing, at old harbour (porto Antico) bridge, in the city center with the lake aside, a lovely place. The cars just left Brescia (30 km more or less) so you can see them all still cleaned and very close each other. The passage is at very slow speed and usually there is a time check stamp so the cars stops for some seconds.

Ostiglia crossing is very fascinating, but I don't know if they will cross it: I can tell you much more tips when the detailed road map will be online. Now I can just tell you to see Desenzano Crossing half an hour from the start in the day one and the Panaro river bridge crossing just before Modena coming from Bologna (a very fast and famous turn approaching the Bridge with an excellent point of view, called "Ponte Sant'Ambrogio") in the day three

ciao
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    We will be having a look at a nice country spot somewhere in Tuscany. With a picnic basket at hopefully fine weather. On Sunday we will visit the Villa Erba event, a nice coincidence of dates. Still to decide with what car we will go, 599 or Espada (I love these kinds of problems ...) :)

Cheers, Bernhard

19. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    juts a week to go :)

the plan is now finalized, we'll have a Pagani factory tour on tuseday, we'll drive to the Museo Enzo Ferrari in Modena afterwards to meet the guys from the "Pfeff Tour". later on we'll go to Maranello and than back to Lago di Garda were we stay.

Wednesday we go to the fair in Brescia for the scruteneering and maybe in the afternoon to the city center of Brescia to check out parking and spoting locations for the next day.
    (scruteneering is in the fair at via caprera right?)

on thursday we'll try to get a parking place at the train station early in the morning and then watch what's going on in the city center. later on we want to drive out of Brescia and follow the cars a bit.
    I'll also check the places that Albert recommended - thanks for that :)

the route is now on the offical website:
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1jXfpFlkX9MgBIGqLoYE1NaVf_EU

can anybody tell me what the green and orange flags mean and what the color of the route (blue, green and orange) means? the red dots with A, B etc. are checkpoints or am I wrong on that? - Thanks :)

Martin

20. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Martin sounds like a great trip. I did the Pagani factory a few years back, you'll love it, a great experience. Don't forget to post your MM photos :D

21. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    I did the Pagani factory tour last year in september, but as my two brothers in law join me this time, I'll do the factory tour again. back then I saw the Huayra BC prototype at the old location. I'm curious how the new location looks now and if we see some BC's in production :)

I think I'll follow Alberts advice and will watch the MM in Desenzano as the Ferrari Tribute Ralley will start there too.
    I'll post pics when we're back. just bought a new SD-card for the camera :)

Martin