Indycar Iowa June 22/23 Night Race | FerrariChat

Indycar Iowa June 22/23 Night Race

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by SMS, Jun 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    #1 SMS, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Practice starts Friday at 11 am eastern time. Live updates: http://www.indycar.com/Schedule/2012/IZOD-IndyCar-Series/Iowa-Corn-Indy-250

Pulling for Ed Carpenter Racing. Home town small team owner/driver. Last oval race before a long string of road courses this season. Ed crashed his oval car at Indy in practice and was in contention to win Indy and ran as high as 6th last weekend in Wi, all in his road course chassis. Now they have fininshed repairing the oval car. Let's see what they've got in about an hour!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    #2 SMS, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
    NEWTON, Iowa – Rahal Letterman Racing managing director of motorsports Tom Anderson knows all too well that though they’re 30-lap heat races to set the starting lineup for the Iowa Corn Indy 250, nonetheless they’re races.

“It is going to be challenging because the drivers will all nod and say, 'Yes, this is just a qualifying race and it's only to determine a specific position to start and, really, the big show is Saturday night,’ ’’ Anderson said. “That somehow seems to change when they put their helmets on, so it will be quite interesting to see and I'm sure it will be worth the ticket price for those that show up (June 22).”

Qualification groups will be determined by lap times recorded by entries on the .875-mile oval in the second (45-minute) practice session (3:30 p.m. ET).

Race 1 will consist of the even-numbered positions, starting with the 10th-quickest practice time, and determine the even-numbered positions in the starting field from 10th down.

Race 2 will consist of the odd-numbered positions, starting with the ninth-quickest practice time, and determine the odd-numbered positions in the starting field from ninth down.

Race 3 will consist of drivers ranked one through eight from the practice. Results of Race 3 will determine the first four rows, with the winner taking the pole position.

Each race is projected for 12-14 minutes duration. Cars will carry about one-third of the E85 fuel load, which shouldn’t impact tire wear or the car’s consistency with its maximum 37-degree rear wing flap angle on the compound banking.

"Even though Iowa is a 7/8-mile track, it races a lot more like a mile-and-a-half superspeedway than it does a short track," said Ryan Hunter-Reay, who won the Milwaukee IndyFest Presented by XYQ at the Milwaukee Mile on June 16. "It's high-banked, so it's a reset from Milwaukee, which is flat. You really have to have a superspeedway mentality to race there.

"I'm interested to see what we have with the new car and new downforce. With the qualifying heats, it's going to be mixed up. It's tough because you'll really have to take it easy and not hurt your race car in a heat race."

Andretti Autosport drivers have won the past three short oval events: Hunter-Reay at Milwaukee and New Hampshire (August 2011) and Marco Andretti at Iowa (June 2011).

"Certainly, there's a bit of an unknown going into this race and it'll be interesting to see how it plays out," said James Hinchcliffe, who's second in the championship standings. "I think it's cool we're trying something different and we'll see if this format is the right way to do it. We won't know until we get out there and give it a run.

"It puts a lot of emphasis on practice. It does change our focus a bit; in practice we are trying to set up for our race cars and be sure we have the best car over a distance. Now for session two we have to focus on making it quick for at least one lap to get into a good group for the heat races. I think everyone is anxious and excited to see how it plays out."

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I cannot find NBCSN on my cable so I can watch the race and I have looked and looked?

4. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    It's the former Versus (VS) channel , hope that helps you! What a great track (unless you run the roval in the rain where it puddles up into small ponds !!!! That won't be an issue for this weekend as it's all oval .

5. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I have DIRECT TV so maybe it is one of those greedy MF'ing channels you gotta pay for? I refuse to pay the extra fee for a channel when SPEED TV should live up to their promise instead of being just another NASCAR/Monster Truck channel.

I have officially lost the last .10% interest I had in the Indigo car series.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Just go out to the Brick House Tap Pub on 290 and yell at the lovely lass to "Tune it in, and bring me a beer and a mahi mahi sandwich!"

7. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Strangely enough I checked again this morning and bingo there it is so I auto-tuned it. Channel 603 on DIRECT TV so I have re-added my .10% interest lol!

8. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Oh boy!!! "Crapwagons" at night!!!

9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Atleast it is some inclination of racing, maybe a rerun of Suits will save me? On ovals regardless of the series I just watch the first and last 10 laps.

10. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    Anybody but Ganasi, that's who im pulling for.

11. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Geez, first rain delay now crazy pseudo start.

12. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Crazy start indeed. Feel bad for Dario...
    Good for Rubens though :D:D:D

13. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    This race is going to be over in about 45 minutes without too many yellows...they are cranking laps off at about 3 a minute...

Ok, it is a bullring, but it is too freaking hard to figure out what is going on on the track with people stopping to put on tires and going three laps down....

I guess I am just a road racing fan at heart. Going back to the Indy 500 this year was cool because even in the seats you could tell who was where even without TV coverage, but here on this 7/8ths of a mile track, no chance.

MB

14. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    10 Laps to go Rubens up to 7th!!! Come on RB!!!

15. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Damn! Caution for Legge crash...RB had a shot at Helio for 6th...

Oh well, good race for Rubens. Finishes 7th on an oval. Great job man!

MB

16. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    2 In a row for Ryan Hunter ray !!! Not my favorite team , but great job. Cars sure were dropping like flies , right from the start !

17. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    WHOA !!!!! The show isn't over ! They still have the Indy Lights race to run!!! Great thing the only things within a couple miles are 2 hotel/motels and a couple gas stations (one being a Love's truck stop) It will be a late night in the cornfields , then I wonder how many will get on private jets at the airport next door and head home before sunrise.

18. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Lead lap too!
    You have three Brazilians in the top seven. Really good finish (for a change) by Tony K.
    Hope this doesn't skirt too close to being a spoiler but today, another Brazilian, the son of a F-1 champ his namesake, had success at the NASCAR Nationwide race held at Road America.

19. IndyFan

IndyFan Karting

Feb 21, 2010
    Then you've missed some great racing this season.

20. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Great racing ??? Hardly. To have great racing you need great cars, innovation, outstanding drivers and tracks that test both man & machine. What you have here is ...mediocrity at its best. Want great racing? Look at this years Lemans, F1 and some of the Motocycle series. All provide the forementiond and some very close finishes.

21. ryanro24

ryanro24 Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    NW Indiana
    Go back to crapwagon.com with that garbage.

22. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    Thats nothing more than snobbery eliteist thinking ! Go to a local short track and watch the crappy lowest classes like pure stock , and without the worlds greatest drivers you will see very entertaining and COMPETITIVE racing , same goes if you go watch a Spec Miata race. What defines a great car? Just piles of money and extreme engineering? Or just well built & well prepared?

23. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Innovation that captures the mind as well as increase car performance, Technical expertise, Drivers determined to break and sustain new track records, excellence in pit performance & team stradegy, flawless team execution, cars manicured to a t, engine technology that produces more power with less fuel, transmision design that perform flawlessly under the most severe conditons, Aerodynamics that permit maximum top speed while retaining superior cornering capability, suspension designs that allow maximum tire adhesion for maximum cornering capability, tire designs that not only increase cornering adhesion but offer lesser rolling resistance & increased durability, Chassis design that not only improves safety but increases structural rigidity for enhanced total car performance, improved metal technologies that produce light componets at a signifcant lower cost, aerospace materials that also provide the formentioned.............and "crapwagon 2" isn't any of that. It is a "spec" series. And spec series racing is for young, upcoming drivers starting out to determine both their skill levels and their personal commitment to racing. Top Tier racing is about the formentioned. LeMans, F1, MotoGP, Superbike and any series that permits the above brings "true competition".

24. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    #24 hotsauce, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
    Ahh the weekly Indy Car thread crapper..

You must be in a class of your own! Perched high above those that are actually apart of the sport.. because every single individual involved in those series you just mentioned.. respects what each other is doing. Indy Car included.

I will gander that you have never been to an Indy Car Series race let a lone close enough to a driver, car, garage, or team to have any real conversational value.

I however speak from real world experience. I have been around people in and around the sport from the highest level to the single level contributor my entire life. Rest assure I can put your fears to rest.. no one is using off the shelf parts or welfare racing employees...

So let the internet feed you your misconceptions, let the TV tell you what you should think and enjoy that comfy arm chair with that remote control!

25. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Probably but it usually just comes down to trying not to fall asleep while watching and then I just watch 'Wind Tunnel' and all is good.