Importing 360 to Ontario - registration process

Discussion in 'Canada' started by acc123, Oct 20, 2019.

  1. acc123

    acc123 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

    Jul 13, 2018
    Hi all,

    I'm a Canadian returning to Toronto after ten years of living in New York. I have a 1999 360 coupe that I'd like to bring back with me. It's one of the euro models that was delivered new to the US with a european VIN.

    I'd hire a transport company to handle the import process - it sounds reasonably straightforward and the car would be exempt from the RIV process as it's more than 15 years old. I'm also aware that the Drive Clean program has ended so emissions tests shouldn't be a concern (1999 / euro 360s don't have pre-cats).

    Should I anticipate any issues registering the car in Ontario? Does anyone have experience importing / registering a euro-model, US-delivered car in Ontario?

    Related question - what is the best "classic" ferrari insurance option in Ontario? I have experience with Hagerty in the US.

  2. To remove this ad click here.

  3. Andial

    Andial Formula Junior

    Jun 19, 2016
    You should be fine registering the car in Ontario. TFX has experience with cross-border shipping and they take care of the paperwork. Hagerty is also an option in Canada, but you can also take a look at Chubb if you want a second option.
    Mimmo Blue likes this.
  4. Mimmo Blue

    Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

    Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    I used TFX to import a classic car from North Carolina several years ago.
    Great service and they handled it all. After that all I needed was a safety and I got my plates
  5. tantumaude

    tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

    Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    As you say, it's over 15 years old, so import and registration is a piece of cake. Depending on which Service Ontario location you go, be prepared to spend 3+ hours while they figure out how to do it however. I've used one in Oakville at Dorval and North Service Road for my Japan-imported cars a few times, consistently the quickest service. The CBSA Form 1 is online now, which causes problems (I've had to produce a letter from CBSA confirming this).
  6. Nuvolari

    Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

    Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    As a Canadian living out of Canada if you have had the car for more than 2 years than it should qualify for tax free importation along with your other personal items. Be sure to look into this as it is often overlooked and can save you a LOT of tax.
    cls likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

  8. Skyler

    Skyler Formula 3

    May 31, 2004
    Full Name:
    Can you please elaborate? Do you have to be a 'non-resident' in order to qualify for the tax exemption?
  9. Nuvolari

    Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

    Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #7 Nuvolari, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    It has been a while since I looked into this so you may want to research the latest law (as it seems to change from time to time) as it pertains to residency. From my understanding being out of the US for over a year means you automatically stop being a resident of Canada and begin to pay your taxes there but I could be wrong. That said I live in Toronto and own a second home in California. If I sold that home I can bring back the articles in that home including furniture, appliances, etc that were acquired in the US tax free so long as they were purchased more than one or two (I can't remember the time off the top of my head) years before being exported. Your personal vehicle should fall under this exemption and because it is over 15 years old it is in no way affected by RIV procedures that would otherwise could be problematic with your Euro market vehicle.

    Here is a document I found that may be helpful:

    It references duty being applicable on any item including a motor vehicle having a value of greater than $10K. Again I'd research that one further to be sure but if it is the case you would be on the hook for 6.1% import duty plus HST. To make things even more fun at the border they transfer the value of the vehicle from USD to CDN, then charge 6.1% on that number and then charge HST on that total. So in effect you are charged HST on the DUTY!!!!!
  10. samsaprunoff

    samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

    Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Rob,

    I used to work both here in Canada and the US and the assertion of residency is not as simple as being out of one Country for some period of time. Revenue Canada and the IRS both have their "formulas" and criterias for determining residency. On the Canadian side... If you have Canadian property, receive Canadian mail on a Canadian Address, have Canadian Healthcare, RRSPs, Bank accounts, Color of your socks, etc Revenue Canada can make a claim that you are a resident living abroad and assess your US income at CAN Tax rates. Even contacting Revenue Canada directly will not get you a straight answer.. surprise... surprise.... My advice to anyone is to seek proper legal advice as to what qualifies as residency or not, as the financial consequences if one is mistaken can be quite nasty.


    Nuvolari likes this.
  11. max930

    max930 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

    Apr 16, 2017
    I believe you need to be deemed a non-resident of Canada for tax purposes to get out of paying duty and taxes. When I lived in the states, I was deemed non-resident by Rev Can. So it was easy to bring in my Excursion. But not familiar with not having non resident status.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

  13. JamesSimpson

    JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

    Jun 29, 2005
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    Crap! I’ve gotta start coming here More often.
    I’m sure you’ve figured it out by now but if born gimme a shout as importing was/is a large portion of my business.

    James Simpson
  14. Metastable

    Metastable Formula Junior

    May 4, 2018
    You will still need to get a federal inspection and provincial inspection. You will not have to worry about certain safety items like French language stickers, bumpers, and anti theft items since it is more than 15 years old, but if there are mechanical issues with the car, they will need to be fixed. Also, if there are items deemed to be “not for street use”, they might need to be replaced depending on how picky the inspector is.

Share This Page