Images of FF Concept Sketches and Design Team | FerrariChat

Images of FF Concept Sketches and Design Team

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by furmano, Jul 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #1 furmano, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Below are some images of some of the early concepts and a page showing the Ferrari and Pininfarina design team from the magazine "Auto & Design".

It's interesting to see how the early concepts were more sleek and aggressive looking.

What I find most interesting is how Flavio Manzoni, Ferrari's head of design stated "We had to hit the mark precisely. So we put a lot of effort into lightening volumes and masses." yet the end result is more massive and blocky.

I think the FF is pure genius in terms of a product concept but I am seriously questioning Manzoni's design eye.

Anyway, enjoy.

-F
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    The FF does not look massive and blocky at all. It is a big car by size, not by looks. To me, it indeed looks more sleek and agressive then can be expected of a car of these measurements. I can understand that the silhouette of a shooting break puts people off, especially when it is supposed to be a Ferrari, but if you look closer at concept and final execution, it is pretty close to a masterpiece.

3. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Compared to the early sketches, particularly the top right one, the angle of the rear hatch is closer to a right angle, making the silhouette appear more blocky and massive. A more flat angle appears to have less mass than a right angle.

That's what I, and I think most people who have a less favorable view of the shape, are keying on.

That said, I have not seen the car in the flesh so I am reserving final judgement until I do.

-F

4. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I suppose so, but making the angle more flat will compromise boot space. I know, horrible to have such a thing influence the design of a Ferrari, but it is logical to the concept to pay attention to this aspect in making the design choices.

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    This early sketches always show a car 1 meter tall with 30 inch wheels, so it's easy to make it look light.

Anyway I find some of those ideas more interesting than the final car. The FF is OK for me as is now, but a radical concept needed more radical looks, IMO.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I like some of the earlier sketches. I'm not sure why they went to the final design decision they did. But, the earlier stuff seems better designed to me.

7. XP1LM

XP1LM Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Truong
    #7 XP1LM, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
    Wow love the rear of the red car on the top. I guess they have their own reasons to not use that design, one being it would not have enough headroom for the passenger in the back.

I agree with Desoto though. It easy to make a car look good in sketches. Car extremely low to the ground, wide, oversize wheels, super aerodynamic etc...

8. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Looks too much like a Panamera.

9. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Thanks very much for posting - I missed that issue.

Three of the silver cars on the first page are very clearly influenced by Pininfarina's Sintesi show car, which I had noted in an earlier post:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140223190&postcount=64

10. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Love the side exit exhausts on the top right sketch :)

But agree totally with DeSoto and XP1LM - it is easy to sketch a sleek shape... much harder to make sure that it encloses all the necessary volume!!

Not sure how much "more radical" the FF could be :) - it is already getting a lot of stick for not conforming to some peoples expectation of a Ferrari shape!

Like GTE I think it is a masterpiece :)

Sadly I have three kids so a four seat car is one short :(

11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    It´s a radical idea for a Ferrari (4WD hatchback) but not really a radical execution of that concept. It looks somewhat like an oversized Alfa MiTo or VW Scirocco.

But I know what you mean, and I suppose that they knew that this car was going to be controversial and discarded the more radical designs to play it safe.

12. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Also, what's with the smiling face grill? Ferraris are supposed to look like sharks. Sharks shouldn't be smiling.

-F

13. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #13 agup48, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This shark is smiling :D

14. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    Wait to see it in person. It is 1000 times better looking and it is really aggressive!

Yes it will still be a shooting break so if that idea really doesn't go down well with you then you won't like it....but I believe it's a very good looking car for what it is supposed to do and it has massive presence.

15. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #15 furmano, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
    I KNEW someone was going to post that, I just KNEW it!

This is why I am waiting to make a final judgement until I do.

I absolutely love the concept and think Ferrari should get a gold medal for going this route. And I agree compromises have to be made for usability. I just wish the rear line was a little more swept and less notched.

-F

16. CatSailor

CatSailor Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Charles, MD
    ++1!!!

17. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    When you see it in person you will be pleasantly surprised.

18. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    so the car in flesh in different colours--- totally agree

19. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Spot on. I think it's a universal masterpiece- inside and out.

Concepts and early drawings are always more sleek, aggressive and sporty than the final production car. The FF had enormous technical and ergonomic goals, so some concessions had to be made.

But all in all it remained very close and true to those early sketches.

20. Soerenau

Soerenau Karting

Dec 26, 2007
    DK-4000 Roskilde,CPH
    Full Name:
    Søren Algreen-Ussing
    There's no substistute for a real view !!,, all photos are mere reflections !!!!!!,..,.

The real challenge will be to instruct bell boys and concierge's to fetch even 4 bags / suitcases, out of just one GT car,, :) , even two full size golf bags.

The Alfa 75 could hold up to, no less than, 14 crates of sodapop,.. :) rear seats included. Glass bottle soda, that was, in 'loose fit' solid plastic crates. Made the grocer wonder where all those went,,.... :) ,.

ciao.

21. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Fantastic post!

It's interesting to see how bold Pininfarina actually are before they "tone down" the design for production. Some fantastically bright and imaginative minds Ferrari have behind the pen!

22. Soerenau

Soerenau Karting

Dec 26, 2007
    DK-4000 Roskilde,CPH
    Full Name:
    Søren Algreen-Ussing
    Indeed, the Sintesi car line's out a lot of the final chosen lines, i.e. the scoop over the front wheel, the flow of the flanks, particularly the lower section, and the 'V' shape of the rear, abruptly ending.

The marvel end, for me, after seeing just live examples at some speed, driving by, and the static photo's from this and other, lesser, sites, is the front, the engine hood and the fenders !!!!!, including the head lamps,.

This part of the car is really an intricate piece of generously complicated, intertwaining planar surfaces, extending lines that bind together to the entire car, and the marvelous individual parts and pieces of the physical mechanical assembly.

Wheeeheihew !,

It takes my logics away, gazing at this kind of arts, crafts, and engineering, integrated into (a mere) car !.

( I attended the Paris Auto Salon 2010, but the Ferrari FF there, didn't make much direct impression, - I may have expected some kind of 'Enzo'/(MC12)/'F50' wild cat race ready novelty, and then barely noticed a 'enlongated' (FF) sedate display. Also, in Paris, not near the squad's of glamour girl's in function, like in Bologna MotorShow, to elevate emotions for the oh-so-silent, non-moving cars on display.).