Ideas for organizing parts sent out for plating. | FerrariChat

Ideas for organizing parts sent out for plating.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by nathandarby67, Feb 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Not Ferrari specific, but I figure this applies to any restoration, plus my Mondial is next up after I finish this one. So here goes:

I currently have my MG TD just about completely disassembled (the project started with the intention of fixing a sticking right front brake...don’t ask), and should hopefully have the frame repainted by the end of this weekend. Soon I will need to get an entire car’s worth of nuts, bolts, and various fittings zinc plated. Right now they are all carefully organized and labeled in sandwich bags, but I know at the platers they will all get thrown into one large batch.

What tricks and ideas have others used to help organize the parts during or after plating? I’ve thought about taking photos of the contents of each separate bag next to its label, but any other ideas from those who have been down this road?

View attachment 2671883

View attachment 2671884

Attached Files:

2. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I took pics next to labeled bags and it worked out for me, when I got them back from plater it was easy to look at photos on laptop and put them back into the already labeled baggies.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

nathandarby67 and Red 27 like this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Photos are the key and dealing with a plater who really understands and is sensative to rare, fragile hard to replace parts. I have found those who specialize in motorcycle plating pretty understanding of that and easy to deal with.

BOKE and nathandarby67 like this.
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Wish I had thought of that when I sent in a bunch of Dino parts to be chromed in the 70s. They lost the chrome lamp surround on the rear of the trunk. Luckily, FAF had a whole new lamp assembly for $34. Those were the days.

nathandarby67 likes this.
  5. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Alternatively, for small parts like that, you can indeed purchase a home plating kit and do it yourself. That way, at least you can jumble it up and loose it in your own shed.

6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I take pictures, put parts in numbered bags that are labeled with what they have in them and what plating is to be done, and send a detailed typed list of parts and what bag they are in. This actually saved me when I had a batch come back plated wrong. The owner called and said it was difficult to know sometimes when I send so many parts. I explained that I had emailed a detailed list of bags, contents, and plating needs, the different plating was in separate boxes and everything was clearly labeled. I asked what I could do to make it easier, he said he understood and apologized, clearly he was not aware of my efforts. He re-plated the parts with no charge and I use them still today.