I think I'm falling in love with the Pantera. Help me. | FerrariChat

I think I'm falling in love with the Pantera. Help me.

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bounty, Oct 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    So I've always kind of overlooked the Pantera...but lately I have not only found myself doing more and more web searches on Panteras, but literally have started to lust over it...maybe even more so than Ferraris. I love it's italilan style and design, but it comes across as so masculine and bad ass all at the same time. I better start saving, I want one.

2. 1969 Mangusta

1969 Mangusta Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Just wait until you discover a GT5s or a pantera Si. I know what you mean it has become an obsession for me.

3. 1969 Mangusta

Sep 15, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Harry
    BTW, why the cry for help?? Wanting a Pantera is a good thing every bit as exotic as the other Italians with half the hassle. The beauty to the beast is the sheer brutality of their power. I have always thought they were the baddest car on the planet. Intoxicating really.

4. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I could not agree more. Help is because I want one so bad but am not in the financial position yet to afford one!

5. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Have you driven one yet? That might ease your pain, or make it worse.

6. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I've never been inside any high end sports car and I'm 27. Life for me is sad.

Is the Pantera okay for taller guys? I'm 6'3"...would I have issues?

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #7 thecarreaper, Oct 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Modulo_B likes this.
  8. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Oh wow, I definitely like your garage. Very jealous and envious! Nice work and two excellent pics. You been fairly trouble free with the Lotus?

9. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #9 Mang, Oct 30, 2008
    where have you been? I just GAVE AWAY/sold my pre 'L' 72, that just begged for a proper rescue. It is going to make the new buyer very happy...a straight clean original specimen....AND i completely understand your illness...the Pantera and Mangusta are two of THE best styled cars ever! just gorgeous from any angle!

anyway if you've got the Pantera 'itch' don't even go looking at a Mangusta...will leave you extrememly weak...

use this 'downturn' to find yourself the best exotic on the planet for the dough and one you can drive, look extremely cool in, and leave many modern exotic car owners envious because you just don't see Detomaso cars out on the road anymore...

:D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I should have listened. But no...just did a google image search. Wow.

11. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Wait grasshopper .................and you will be able to buy a good one for 20-30K in a few months.

12. 1969 Mangusta

Sep 15, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Not wanting to Hi-jack but if anyone knows of a bonafide GT5s or Amerisport for sale now or in the future please let me know.

13. tony2ta

tony2ta Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2004
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #13 tony2ta, Oct 30, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
    Some pictures of my friend's Panteras. These are not just Panteras, they are BAD ASS... :)

http://community.webshots.com/user/does200

PS: The dark cherry one is for sale, it has a real heavy duty engine in it with 180 mufflers, sounds and preforms great.

14. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    From wikipedia:

Elvis Presley owned a Pantera and once fired a gun at it when it wouldn't start.

LOL.

15. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The Pantera is the best deal in the classic / collector car / exotic world, bar none.
    No other car can come close to its style, performance, and driving experience for the money. Period

And you can actually drive it without worrying about what expensive thing might go wrong because the engine is solid and inexpensive to repair while the transaxle very rarely causes any problems.

I have had mine since 1989 and love it-- see photo in the Photos of Panteras thread.

16. #16 EarlyCat, Oct 31, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
    I love em. My screen name EarlyCat is just that. My Pantera (Panther, a cat) is a early car, a push button (#1303).

17. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    Mooresville,Nc (Race
    Full Name:
    Bill Long
    Velocetwo,i hope your forcast is correct,'cause if i could find a non rusty car in that $$ range i'd bite!
    CH

18. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think he is right. If you look at the discussion of Ferrari values on the Vintage forum they are predicting prices of about 50% of peak.
    That would indeed put a really nice basically original Pantera at less than $30K. If you're looking for one with $50K worth of upgrades, that's something else again. But even in stock but updated form they're great cars.

19. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i sold my lotus and the pantera. i have a 84 308 qv and a 89 911 anniversary if pantera's get cheap again, i will definitely buy another one. mine was *1355*.

20. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    lots of love for Pantera's from Georgia? Are you cats still runnin' rum down south? I think you needed something to outrun the smoky's! :D

21. EDWARD C.

EDWARD C. Rookie

Sep 7, 2008
    This thread is better than beer and chocolate cake !

That is a neat headlite conversion !

Edward

22. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast

Right now there are 5-6 Pantera's on ebay all priced 25K-65K and only one has a bid ( shill bid IMO) so the sellers have not figured out yet that the Pantera market has just taken a huge dump. After they list for another 3-4 weeks they will get the idea. 25- 30 should get you a good one.......................

23. PanteraVegas

PanteraVegas Rookie

May 12, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Robert Douglas
    #23 PanteraVegas, Nov 11, 2008
  24. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #24 AHudson, Nov 11, 2008
    I agree with the Pantera lust, completely. They have a very raw appeal. It's got a raucous Ford V8, ridiculously fine ZF, simple road manners and will swallow lots of luggage and miles at a moment's notice. Also, they're very "approachable" to the uninitiated, unlike an Fcar in my experience.

Advice on this is like most exotics, if you can't afford a good one, you sure can't afford a bad one. Buy the best quality you can swing. Go for it.

Here's my very late 1974, one owner prior to me (up to 2005), #7059 in rare dark green (my color of choice). Quite original car - had original paint when I got it. Mostly stock engine (okay, you can't see what's been done), adjustable suspension, few other tweaks, but aside from that, pretty much as built. Great fun.

25. #25 EarlyCat, Nov 11, 2008