I Think I Want A Mondial Coupe!?!? | FerrariChat

I Think I Want A Mondial Coupe!?!?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 007, May 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Ok maybe I'm nuts. I'm familiar with the issues and even stigma attached to the Mondial, but I really like the look of the car and always have. The cabrio is a fine looking car, but I tend to like the look of the coupe even better. It still sounds like a Ferrari, shifts like a Ferrari and IMHO is even better than 308's and 328's of the same era because it is unique. Now a Mondial 8 might be a little too weak performance wise, but a 3.2 may be just right for me. However there being so few of the coupe models built I think I'm going to have a tough time finding a good example. Before we get into the big debate about performance I wanna say that that is not the reason I want this car. If performance is what I want there is a really fast (dare I say it...) P-Car in the garage that will soundly spank just about anything built by Ferrari up to nearly present day. My reason is more that I love the history of the company, I love the sound and feel of the cars, lifelong F1 fan and I personaly really have always thought the Mondial coupe was the perfect looking balance between sports car and elegant grand tourer. It's also not a $ thing, I'm not interested because it is a low purchace price Ferrari and I'm very aware of the cost of proper upkeep. I have ownership experience with 348 and 308 models and have considerable seat time in a 355 as well as being lucky enough to sample just about every thing else. It's about getting a car that for what ever reason speaks to me and my style. Well let the fun begin, but try to be kind as I'm really serious about this. To the guys who are putting up the Mondial list in this section, I ask you to weigh in and give me ideas, thoughts and any leads you might have on a good car.

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    So you want a Mondial coupe. Not that there is anything wrong with it...

Seriously, they are great cars and most of the stigmas come from people trying to sell magazines. Best advice is drive each of them (8, QV, 3.2, t) and figure out which one makes you go ga-ga the best. We (SpiceGlider now that she's decided to come play on Ferrarichat, not the Royal we) found that the 8 suits our needs.

Who gives a rat's ass what other people think? Make up your own mind. Drive it. If you like it, buy it.

3. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Interesting thoughts, and I guess almost the same as mine. There is a bit of a debate going on right now re: Mondial in the UK forum if you have not already read it.
    I have owned my mondial for nearly 3 years now and I am v happy, F car owners I have spoken to are always very possitive about tem and some comments I have heard suggest that they make a very good tourer (except for the low gearing) as agains a b*lls out GT car.
    It is not the fastest thing on 4 wheels but it does make me "buzz" when I drive it.

4. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    I agree: If you want a performance car you don´t buy a 10 or 20 year old Ferrari. You can get a Porsche or BMW for the same price that easily outperforms the Ferraris. Owning a Ferrari is more like owning a piece of art.

I always liked the look of the 3.2 and t Mondials, although they where introduced in the 80ies their clear design for me is something like a good example for the lines of the 70ies.

I think the Mondial Coupés are especially beautiful in colours other than red - I never liked the black paint on the C-pillars of the red Mondials. Of course a Coupé all in red would be a different thing.

In the Mondial Registry Thread there is a photograph of a very beautiful "brown" Mondial Coupé, black is also a very classical looking option.

5. SAF1

SAF1 Karting

Jun 26, 2003
    OC CA & Bangkok
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great choice. I just bought a 90 Mondial t with only 6000 original miles (Red/tan) and loving it. It drives & sounds great and fast enough for cruising.

I have a 03 Porsche C4S as well. Used the Pcar for the power and every day drive and Fcar for weekend cruising. I guess I have the best of both world.

Get the Mondial and enjoy it!

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I can attest to the fact that Steve's Mondial is a very quick car! :)

I drove a Mondial (Jet-X's) for the first time this past weekend. His is the one with the 348 engine. It is a great car & was really fun to drive. Why do you prefer the coupe? Jet-X's was a convertable & it was really nice listening to the Tubi exhaust combined with the pleasure of open air driving.

Good luck with your search!

I hope to see you again at CC with a new F-Car.

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I've had mine for 8 years, used it for a daily in America and Germany.
    It's the best mid engine 2+2 ever made, and extremely capable with terrific balance. The 3.2s outperform and out handle most earlier 308s. And practical - it's more than just a toy car. In a contemporary Road Test, C&D's Euro editor called the 3.2 the best road car Ferrari made at the time because it was so usable and real world fast.
    Not planning on selling mine - my daughter who grew up in the car won't allow it. :).

Not that I'm biased... :)
    The 308 GT4s are really great as well. Drive several, and buy what you like.

best
    rt
    Mondial Terrorist

8. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
  9. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    There is a "stigma" with the Mondial??? Damn, I never knew!!

Anyhow, I own a 1989 Modial t coupe and I think its super great. I could have gotten a 328 or 308, but I wanted the Mondial (my cars must have some type of back seat for my sons). Its an exciting drive (this coming from a gent who has owned several 911 turbos of old & late model), and I think it may be the best handling four seat sportscar I have ever had the pleasure to drive (no joke).

I figure with the new 2+2 612 Scaglietti now out that the four seater Mondials will (okay may) become the "one to have!"

I called on the 1989 in Texas above. $36,900. Sounded nice. A real buy.

Oh... Hey "AR!" ... Is my Mondial the one you called "brown?" ;)

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I like the 3.2's as well in coupe form. Personally, I think they are steal often selling around 25k...

11. braincuttermd

braincuttermd Karting

May 6, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm also thinking about a Mondial coupe as a daily driver (probably 3.2, but maybe the t), but to do so would require me to sell my 2001 MB CLK 430 which is a fantastic daily driver, and now that I have most of the electrical gremlims worked out under warranty, the CLK is pretty bullet proof.

Naturally, I would find a blk/blk coupe for a daily driver. It will sound like a Ferrari (but vastly slower than my 430's 275hp V8), but it will be totally stealth...something about driving a Ferrari and nobody knows it's a Ferrari except me.

12. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Go for the Mondial QV/3.2 or T. You get a F-car without risk for over-value in price. See also in Mondial Registry for color chose. Dark colors suites best the Mondial.
    Good luck,Guido

13. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Im on my second Mondial. Its an 88 3.2 coupe with ABS. Black metallic/ creme. Love it. Combines fun, styling and praticallity all in one package.
    That and compared to other F-cars a bargain to boot. Also one of the few F-cars im physically comfortable in.

14. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    So, I'm not the only one who's NUTS about a Mondial Coupe. I just love the car's lines. I have been thinking of getting either a 3.2 or T model (red or black for me) bec. when me, my wife and son go out I can't take the 328.
    I know they're quite rare here so it may take sometime to find a good example.

Is the sunroof "problematic" w/ Mondials?

15. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Get a Mondial T, it is as fast as a 348 and almost handles as well. Great underrated car.

16. braincuttermd

braincuttermd Karting

May 6, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    To Wax

Here I thought I was going to get some work done and you go and post those great links! ;)

M

17. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Ron they are indeed, mine works fine luckily.

18. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I started the recent Mondial Registry Thread. I've always thought they were great cars. They turn heads like any other Ferrari, yet are a BIT more subtle and thus "classy", IMHO. The back seats are tight, but at least they are there. I can fit all three of my kids in the car. Even if you never use the rear seat for people, you can carry lots of stuff back there. The interior is roomy (by f car standards) and it handles great, yet has a decent ride. Yes, its a little "slow" off the mark, but it is still plenty fun. I think the 3.2 is the best value of any Ferrari, much less Mondial. Nice lines, clean bumpers and plenty of features including some with ABS. The price is SO low, too.
    Get a Mondial!
    Sam

19. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I drooled over all the magazines, books, etc. in trying to figure out which FCar to get as my first one. I made tables of performance, price, and features. Pros and Cons. I came down to the Mondial, the 308GT4, or the 400i. I don't fit well in the GTB/S series.

Fine tuning my choice more, I decided upon a Coupe, as the rag top can be a bit of a problem, especially if it wasn't expertly taken care of. Also, I don't really like distance driving with the top down, and parking the car with the top down isn't particularly good on the leather.

Narrowing the choice further: Differences in the various models are spelled out well in "Original V8". It seemed to me that the 3.2 was the best sorted out, and was much cheaper than the "t".

Then I found a pristeen GT4 and my Mondial plans were shelved.

20. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Was this the car that was on Ebay a few times? Only 40 coupes in the U.S., and Prugna was not a popular color at all (I like it!).

Curious, because I considered buying this car as a daily driver...

21. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Wow,

Only 40 in the US in 1989? Bet mine is the only Prugna example then.

I found the car while making a phone call for an oil filter for an '02 Maserati Spyder. A gent told me about this Mondial t coupe, and he knew I would be an interested party.

Could be the same car you mention. The dealer told me they had other interested buyers. Once I bought the car the sales manager said "...I will take it off the net..." in one of our conversations. I just assumed he meant his store web page, which the car was well represented on.

I will say that I am glad I got it, but I am sorry you missed it! Here is the low down on this steed:

Paint looks to be excellent. There is one small ding that my paintless dent guy says he can correct for me. The dealer failed to mention the ding. What else.. The sunroof switch is broken, so no sunroof yet. Dealer told me about that though. The interior is very good. However, I have a new carpet set on order. The records are thorough, with timing belts 5K ago. Car runs VERY well. Sounds smooth runs cool. It had the original 1989 tires on it (Car has 19K miles), so I installed new quality tires. It has a CD player that is weak, good tool kit, jack, no spare of course & the factory manual. A/C is ice cold. P.P.I came out aces, as did the CarFax report. Overall it is a very well kept original example. I use it as a daily driver (300 miles this week alone) and consider myself fortunate to have it.

22. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Which isn´t toooo difficult, at least I don´t know of many other 2+2 mid engine cars :)

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    It's a small elite group... :)

Ferrari 308GT4
    Lamboghini Urraco
    Lamborghini Silhouette
    Maserati Merak
    Ferrari Mondial

The DB/Matra Djet maybe, but can't remember.

Tschuess!

24. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Both of these cars were 2 seaters only. The Silhouette was the pre-cursor to the Jalpa, and thus only 2 seats

25. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Thanks for the update on the Silhouette - I have seen the vestigial +2 back seats in Meraks, though. Great period comparison road test of the 308GT4, Merak and Urraco in R&T.
    best
    rt