I know many of you saw this 365 2+2 on ebay... | FerrariChat

I know many of you saw this 365 2+2 on ebay...

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by jm3, Jun 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Is anyone familiar with or knowledgeable about this particular car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-365-GT-2-2-Nice-unique-Ferrari-low-reserve-rare-opportunity_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6212QQihZ002QQitemZ4644038790QQrdZ1

I like the car. It is definitely NOT one of the "no stories" cars that we all search for. After experiencing some of the behind the scenes BS that goes on to bury Ferrari stories deeper than an Iraqi WMD, I am content with "story and explanation", as opposed to finding out how incredibly easy it is to roll back a Veglia speedo.....

Any advice of any kind is appreciated. (I know the auction has ended, but...)
    Jay

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    This car was discussed on Tom Yang's site recently.

I think if it's in good mechanical condition and runs fine, it is probably worth the $41k that it sold for. Honestly, I don't think it's worth a lot more-- it would take a lot to make it correct, and as a bitsa I just can't see it as worth much more than that.

That said, it could be a lot of fun for the price. How much less HP and torque does the 330 engine have? The 365 is not a light car, so this one won't be any ball of fire.

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

randy is a nice person and very much loves the business of buying and seling cars. he is a properly a movie producer and has written several acclaimed movies (pie..3.14...sorry but no proper symbol). a good guy.

i see that the car is in gaylordsville, ct so it must be in the hands of peter sweeny of forza or bill pollard of sport auto.

both peter and bill are great guys and would have real information on the car if my hunch is correct.

call bill @ 860.350.1515

if he does not have the info, peter sweeny will!

good luck.

pcb

4. dgrperformance

dgrperformance Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    Is it just the price that has you interested in this particular car??? If so the best advice I can give and I think many will agree is buy a Honda based on price but when it comes to Ferrari's(especially vintage) buy the best car you can find or the hidden costs will soon overwhelm you very quickly. You may also want to consider the fact that this car will be much harder to sell than say a numbers correct or at least a engine correct car when the time comes. Sometimes the higher entry price will save lots of money and frustration in the long run not to mention the enjoyment of the hobby.

There are a couple other 365 2+2 on e-bay right now as well, have you had a look at them?

Zac

5. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    But I have always liked the Borranis, I love the covered headlights, and it is not bright red. As far as I know, none of them probably ever came with covered headlights. I tend to need a 4 seater too.
    ( I know what a headache Borranis are, as I have a 53 Buick Skylark)

thanks for the advice so far

Jay

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Really? I don't see him listed here:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138704/fullcredits#writers
    (I don't mean to be contentious, Pete. I'm just curious about Ferrari brokers.)

7. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Some did - see the original Pinifarina factory shots for the queen mother for an early headlight cover installation. I believe headlight covers were a dealer-installed option, like the radios and the side mirrors. Headlight covers trimmed out in chrome (like this car) I do not believe were ever an option. The covers were illegal after 1968 in the US, so none of the american spec cars would have had them originally.

The ad lists the s/n as 11095 - I do not have Raab in front of me, but if that # even belongs to a queen mother, it would be an extremely early car, possibly 1967.

I was totally baffled by this statement "However, this car is fitted with a non-original Type 209 330 GT engine, # 10091. Ferrari stopped producing cars with matching numbers in the late 1960's, around the time this car was built."

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Most pre-1971 Ferraris have Borranis, so that's nothing special about this car. I also believe the headlight covers are available from an aftermarket source.

9. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    I was surprised by the non-matching numbers too! My queen is Euro model #12293 (built later than this one) and has all matching numbers. I suspect the engine was irrevocably damaged sometime in the past (severe oil pan failure) and all they could find was a 330 engine to replace it with.
    Tom Kizer

10. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    I believe somewhere in the 12xxx range Ferrari stopped stamping chassis numbers on the engine block, but they still continued to stamp a unique number. I would think all the 11xxx and some 12xxx 2+2's would have matching numbers. 11095 sounds too early. 11079, for instance, is a 1966 330GTC.

-steve

11. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Raab shows 11095 as a 365GT 2+2

12. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    My queen is vin 12751 and has a matching number stamped into the right rear engine block. It's a USA version.

13. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
  14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks. That's surprising!

15. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    I recently bought a car from Randy Simon. I took him to be an honest guy, and my car was represented accurately. An easy clean deal that we closed sitting in his living room...

16. SlickMurphy

SlickMurphy Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    This car never sold and I am having a PPI done @ Sport Auto tommmorow. It seems to be a nice car for $40-42k regardless of the non matching engine.

Your thoughts and further comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

David