I Can't Stand The Heat Anymore | FerrariChat

I Can't Stand The Heat Anymore

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by billg, Sep 25, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    This is it, I can't take the summer heat in the 400A anymore, so I'm going to put this behemoth in the gargage and have the entire a/c system changed: all components, including the lines. Of course I'm saying this with great bravado as fall kicks in, but I really have to do something. Does anyone have an idea what a complete change-out of the a/c should cost for this car?

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    You could just move to Seattle.....kills multiple stones with one bird. :)

3. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    There are many many metaphors for the summer in New Orleans, one as tired as the next: hot as an oven, etc. But I heard a new one the other day that really nails it. I hope no one is grossed out, but here it is: Living in New Orleans in the summer is like living in somebody's mouth.
    I can't even write it without laughing.
    Anyway, I had the entire a/c changed in my 911, to great expense and tremendous improvement. At first, they changed everything but the lines, but found that after several years of not working, scale had loosened inside the lines and was coming off and clogging the, what, evaporator? So I changed the lines, too, which made all the difference. It's been explained to me that the lines in the Porsche are extremely long, which accounts for the extra $1,500 to replace them. The entire job on the Porsche was $4,800. I would think the Ferrari might be cheaper, though that secondary a/c for the back seat gives me pause.

4. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    That is classic. Here's another sort of related phrase which is really gross: "I'm sweating like a rapist". To be used sparingly.

$5000 doesn't seem too bad provided you get a good result at the end that enables you to enjoy the car more.

5. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Just completed all the work on a Pantera new Sanden rotary compressor new lines and condensor. Did all the work myself except for the final leak detection and R-12 fill. Have about $2000 in it. Look forward to working a system up my 365 GT4 2+2. Think it should be less expensive because of shorter lines though I haven't priced any of the cloth covered aeroquip A/C lines, and am not sure what it will take to convert a compressor and make a bracket. Probably a next year project. Of course these are Missouri dollars.
    Rick

6. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    Okay, 2K you have in your Pantera, and I'm thinking the labor maybe is another 2K if you'd had someone else do it? Taking the most expensive-case scenario, I'm thinking $4500 is about right for a 400i. But I wish I could hear from someone who has done what I'm planning to do.

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Bill, in the 308 Stick thread i started, towards the last page there is a post by Jfrazar that i quoted about upgrading the 308s a/c. we have done 2 cars in our little ferrari group so far, and my GTB is next. parts are about $1100.00 with new rotary compressor ect. i believe the post has part numbers in it. the lines, though long, dont seem to be that expensive when replicated by a local a/c shop. perhaps you could use the 308 info to help you.

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Funny thing is the 400 is one Fcar known to have a not too bad a/c.
    Mine cooled just fine and I'm in southern Texas.
    I don't think you're going to have to do as much as you think.

9. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    This is encouraging, gentlemen. Perhaps after this I can avoid a repeat of the scenario of my wife in the passenger seat holding one of those folding dashboard sun protectors over her head. She claimed heat-induced nausea and to have resurrected in her hyper-sensitive nostrils the inboard gasoline smell I thought had disappeared.

10. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    A cheap thing you must do , that cuts some heat into the cockpit, is to pull all the carpet out and add insulation. My friend did it to his Mondial and it did help to cut some of the heat out. But yes upgrade your air is a must.

11. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Bill: If you've got the older style 400, with the 4 air vents on top of the dashboard, don't expect much. I had my R12 system recharged this past summer when it was over 100 degrees out, and though the air was cold, the heat coming through the windshield negated the effects of the A/C system.

Hot, steamy nights was when it works the best.

The freon has all leaked out now, along with the dye, but knowing what I do now, I'm not going to bother chasing down the leaks in the system. Drive a newer car when the heat's too extreme, and save yourself a bundle.

12. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    Yes, I had mine for a brief time before the refrigerant leaked out and you are right, the cooling effect is minimal. Still, I don't think I can drive the damn thing at night even. I'm gathering the later 400s had vents in the vertical dash, blowing in your face. I'm glad to be reminded of this.

13. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    Kraig, do you think tinting the windows would help? I wonder if anyone regards this as sacreligious.

14. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I have tinted windows on my 400 - the door glass is more lightly tinted than the rear glass. The tinting definitely keeps the car a bit cooler. It does look quite pimpy, but is growing on me as it looks mean with the black paint.

Aidan