How would you make FerrariChat.com better? | Page 27 | FerrariChat

How would you make FerrariChat.com better?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Apr 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we have some awesome firearms and ammo threads in Silver and Rossa. Most know I'm a huge firearms person, but we already have 70+ forums, we can't have a single forum for every single possible topic. thank you.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    noted. thank you. I personally didn't know anyone used the « Previous Thread | Next Thread » functionality.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that can cause more problems the longer we allow edits, I know you don't use the site maliciously and have best intentions with your edits, but some do.

60 seconds covers those "oh duh" moments right after you hit the post button. beyond that you have 60 minutes, but everyone should see the edit stamps, beyong 60 minutes submit updated post or contact a mod. thanks.

4. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Really? How do YOU get to the next thread?

Maybe I need some learnin'.

5. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott

El Jefe has spoken. Appreciate it, Rob.

I'm too OCD for my own good.

6. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Excellent observations! I agree these issues get in the way of an optimal experience on that "site".

7. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    How about a tiny chatbox, on the main index page? Here is an example from another, albeit tiny, forum...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

It's a fun way to socialize with F-Chat members that you might not normally interact with.

8. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Those chat things slow sites down and can be just as abused if there isn't mods online keeping a watch.

Think of the F1 section, ppl always whining about spoilers, now imagine someone posting the results of the race in the chatbox ;)

At the same time I think it would work well in the F1 section(or any live sport) for Live feed banter :D

9. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    the blue door....I thought we were past that.

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    #660 134282, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
    The like the 'edited' notation - it gives me a chance to be silly or ridiculous. :)

But I have a new idea on how FerrariChat can be improved. Get your software forum vB geek posse to create something called a 'bookmark'. So that, for those really long threads, I can bookmark the last post that I read - and then when I come back in a week or a month or a year, I can start right from where I left off!

Brilliant, I know. Hey, what can I say? I'm awesome.

11. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Is there a possibility to change the attachement upload to ease batch uploading pictures? I regularly post threads about car events with 50+ pictures and it really is a pain to have to select every single picture and upload only 4 of them at a time, just selecting a bunch of files at once and hit "upload" would be SOOO much easier...

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    On the flipside . . .

The idea is to retain the reader's attention, not test their patience. This means the photo poster's patience may be tested, but the reward is greater, as it is simply much easier on a reader's eyes, connection or device [lots of mobiles] to see 4, rather than 8 thru 48 on one post.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    there are many times, especially browsing by phone I get stuck in these threads with someone posting 20+ pics. I personally think you should upload the best pictures of the event and if you have 20+ then they should go to an external photo host.

14. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hey Florian,

I was about to post a "+1" - Until I read & thought about;

Indeed.

It's a borderline PITA to post pix here - OTOH, the ones that do get thru' are generally pretty good (I think?)....

As always, my 02c,
    cheers,
    Ian

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Dayum! I was about to suggest the same!

Post a couple, and if I'm "interested" enough I'll go and check out the others...... Our buddy Natural "forces" us to go "elsewhere" to get 'em - Which is also fine with me (As long as they stay FOC of course ;))

Cheers,
    Ian

16. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Rob,

I think many here would like a "HOW TO" section where some of our brighest can post their "Here is how I did it" stuff.

We have a gold mine here of VERY WELL DOCUMENTED info for the DITY guys that is just getting burried in 3758628752 Cam belt threads and it is not so small a crime in my NOT SO Humble Opinion to let that stuff melt away.

These guys who spent their precious time and effort for the benefit of all deserve a bit of immortality.

Pony-up the forum and sub forums (Subscribed, but semi-viewable (teaser only) to Unsubscribed) ..... will ya?

V/r,

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    the problem is have one How To section for all of FChat or one under each model?

these things work best for FAQ or Blogs, but people won't take the time to create a FAQ or Blog, I've tried, but they will spend the exact same amount of time if its just a post. Weird human nature, but true.

18. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

How about a Wiki?

Cheers,
    Ian

19. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    3x8/Mondi is your synergy point. All else goes north and south of that.

I'd break it down just as you have done with models, then follow the TAVs from the parts books to seperate subjects keeping in mind our loves (F SpA) fickelness of course, but you should be asked or be petitioned to start a sub forum.

For example, how many GTO, F40, F50 owners actually do more than turn the ignition key? Most definately NOT A SLAM, just an observation. Likely little need for those DITY forums but if one should contribute then by all means YES!!!!! Add it.

IMO, the bits of REAL info (F-Car related) you have here "dying on the vine" is worth more than the entire site itself-- "the sum of the parts ..............." and all that.

I can provide other necessary details if you wish to pursue this.

20. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Reduce the interval between searches to 10secs. Especially annoying if what you search for doesn't come up the first time, and you have to wait 30s for the next try.

21. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    100% pay increase for Rob and all moderators :)

22. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.

100% of NOTHING is .........................................?

Seriously I do nont know how they are compensated but it should be something.

[tips hat]

THANX Guys.

23. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Okay, I admit that I've viewed the "Funny Pictures" thread, and enjoyed it - for a while. Then it started getting disgusting, bizarre, unfunny, or a combination of any or all of these.

I love the photos of cars, the showroom, the technical advice (usually excellent, and often accompanied by very useful photo illustrations.) Events related to Ferraris are useful, and I love seeing the photos of events that I was unable to attend. Information about races, even the ones that didn't include Ferraris, are also interesting and informative.

My strong advice is to eliminate the "Politics and Religion" thread. That's where I see the most vitriol and the most severe abuse. Not all Ferrari owners are extreme radical right-wingers, but I find that in "P&R" the more centrist opinions tend to get shouted down.

I know, if you don't like it, don't read it. And I don't. Not anymore.

But the question was, How can we make F-Chat better? My answer is, Eliminate P&R, as well as the other threads that aren't even related peripherally to the cars. Let's face it: Nothing is more divisive than Politics and Religion. And nothing unifies us more strongly than our shared love of the fine marque.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We're a community of Ferrari Enthusiasts, unfortunately for P&R it is the lesser of evils to have it contained and somewhat hidden verse tainting the rest of the subforums.

25. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    #675 bill brooks, Apr 19, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
    i rather enjoy the p & r section , overlooking the vitriol. i've had my share of ass-kickings and probably deserved it.

i do get a kick out of the banter in spite of the right -wing connotation presented.

i choose to remain a free indivividual therefore i support those who choose to express
    their opinions be it right or left. once we remove the forum where we can express
    ourselves as free indiviuals, we have played right into the hands of those who would
    have us in some group internment.

sorry, the left have as much right to speak as the right.

even though they are wrong..............