How would you make FerrariChat.com better? | FerrariChat

How would you make FerrariChat.com better?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Apr 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Let me have it. Looking for constructive feedback from ALL members of this community. Grazie.

2. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Have an F-chat CEO who has better things to do on a Saturday night than troll for input? :)

Sincerely, Horsefly (at work on a Saturday night and therefore no life to begin with.)

And what's the "direct mail" address for renewal? I think that I'm due in May. (PM if you wish.)

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Check 'User Controls - Edit Options - Paid Subscriptions' link above for info on your current subscription and 'Subscription Info' to renew. Also, those interested can read about the subscription benefits and sign-up with payment by either paypal or cc.

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    While there are any number of things I can think of, e.g., somehow getting Dave to have a sense of humor, perhaps the number one is to come up with a search engine that works.

Dale

5. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    +1

And a thread delete function, please.

6. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    How about:

1) A search that brings up more than 250 results
    2) Ability to search again in less than 30 seconds
    3) Allow to view more than 100 posts at a time within a thread

Can't really think of too many other issues, and the ones above are minor IMO.

Dom

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It works, but there is an art to it (use the Advanced Search?) and there are some things it could do better. How about you give me specifics on a few searches that aren't working and then we can see where to focus the fixes. Thanks.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    You are allowed to delete or edit your own post within 60 minutes. Are you saying users should be able to come back after 60 minutes and delete a thread?

9. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I would love to see members actually use the chat room. I'd love to have some more real time dialogue with the members of this community. Not sure how you attract more to use that though.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    These limitations are all there for performance reasons, the higher we make those limits, the slower the forum will run for everyone. Will you give up speed to get more of the above? I would really like to find a way to give subscribers more limits for the items above, that won't impact the performance as much, but give the subscribers more freedom.

11. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I've got to admit.....I kinda like F-chat the way it is.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    it use to be more active a couple years ago. Days of Pimp Daddy etc etc. Almost every night and especially on Saturday nights there would be a solid group. I would like to get some celebrities or just some experts in various topics for scheduled chats. that should work out well.

The live chat is fun, but the content was very light and nothing real meaningful. Thanks for the feedback.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    fair enough, users make this community, not me, a healthy conversation now and then is good.

14. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    My biggest complaint with F-chat by far is the fact that you cannot do searches in less than thirty second intervals. We're constantly telling new members to search, and yet the site is needlessly complicated by this unnecessary rule. Often I will search for something and accidentally make a typo but press 'enter' before I realize it, thus wasting a search - meaning I have to wait thirty seconds for another one. Urgh - so frustrating!!

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, I understand, I have experienced the same at this site and others. We might be able to try a smaller search interval, however, searches are probably the single biggest thing that degrades our performance.

16. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Ah Rob, I understand the reasoning, and I'm sure the status quo is probably what's best for the site - however if it were me and if I had just one thing to change, it'd be that, as long as the site's performance wasn't significantly affected.

17. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Started just last race but check in during a F1 race.

Is there a way to auto resize attachments?

18. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'd add a little more basic text capability, like being able to use italics or bold type.

Also, limit Ferrari Spotters threads to FERRARIS spotted only; open "Other Exotic & Special Interest" or something along those lines for other makes...DFW Spotters is 50% non-Ferrari posts. I don't give a rat's behind if someone saw a Bentley; I see them all the time.

Otherwise, all is OK in Fchat-land.

19. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    bold, italic, and colored texts are available, along with a lot more. Check out http://ferrarichat.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

20. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Maybe spice up the homepage visually a bit? Also, a videos ONLY section would be very cool IMO. Lastly, maybe a very general area for neewbie questions of all kinds regarding F-cars.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, I will have to look into the autoresize tools.

22. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Tillman..thanks for pointing this out. It may take me awhile to digest.

I was thinking more in terms of click-on icons for bold, italics, etc., like you see on other boards. Wouldn't need to be elaborate, like lots of typefaces and colors, just a few added easy-to-use text tools.

23. Razzer92

Razzer92 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2006
    At this point I can't think of anything to make the forum better, you done a good job with it, its good the way it is...
    Maybe you can add more "stuff" to the user profile page, not sure what but that would be cool.

24. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    +1

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree, but these type of things are best regulated from the members themselves (bottom up). A little peer pressure or teasing. I get annoyed too with the DFW Spotters thread. You'll see me post in there like this one from December :D ...