How To........Remove that pesky nut holding the Brake Booster | FerrariChat

How To........Remove that pesky nut holding the Brake Booster

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Part Time, Feb 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    After reading several posts about the upper left nut holding the booster in on a LH drive car, I actually had the opportunity to remove a booster from a fellow F-chatters car today.

Being an old guy with a bad back, I removed the 3 other nuts without much problem on my knee pad with a cushion on the lower door frame to give my ribs a soft spot to lean on.
    I could feel the upper left nut, but could not see it, until, Ta DA !

I found a shortcut...….reach under the dash against the outside and loosen a small wing nut holding the trash bin/sunglass tray thingy....collect about 2 feet of 3/8 extension for your ratchet, a standard length 13 mm socket and if you get a small light in under the dash, you can SEE it ! Broke it loose with the 3/8 drive and then changed over to a 1/4 drive with a stack of 4 extensions to run it out quicker, I even got a magnet on a stick up there to grab the thin washer on those studs. ( Yes, there are washers. ) NO PROBLEM !!

It didn't happen if there ain't no pics......here are the pics, holding my phone with one hand and a small light with the other. The terrible upper left nut is a straight shot thru the hole in the dash, did not need to stand on my head or take out the seat.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gary

Schumi, samsaprunoff and Ak Jim like this.
  2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thx for sharing this info, will save someone someday a lot of grief.

3. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
  4. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Hey... that portion of the dash looks mighty familiar ;)... I will do a write up once we figure out who's on first and what's on second!

5. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Definitely, Otto, I will write a complete "How To" on both the master cylinder replacement and the booster rebuild on your car after the work is finished.

Gary