How to losen up my upper body? Yoga? | FerrariChat

How to losen up my upper body? Yoga?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by DriveAfterDark, Apr 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    So my instructor said I have a very stiff upper body which stands in the way of doing several weightlifting exercises properly... Recommended me a massage, but I'm wondering if there are other options I could try at home instead?

Surprisingly he said he was rather impressed with how well I did with exercises using my lower body, weird!

2. Frips_Girl

Frips_Girl Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    Regardless of upper vs. lower, a good long stretch is always a good idea- it brings balance to the body. Yoga does help to open the chest and stretch the shoulders and back. Thai yoga massage is another option as it gets you moving in yoga poses and to your current limit, so you are getting an awesome stretch and a massage at the same time, instead of someone just poking into you with their thumbs.

Many people that workout like crazy neglect stretching and I always say that a flexible spine keeps a young body. I've had super buff, full of muscle guys in my yoga classes that could not lay flat or touch their toes so they started yoga to work their way into it. Balance is key :)

3. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Yoga is definitely the way to go.

It's a many thousand year old practice that definitely works if done properly. There are many styles so find one that you like and works for you.

4. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Thanks guys... Hmm, yoga it is then. I will start googling asap

5. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Almost forgot---

If you do a style of yoga called "Bikram yoga". Be careful as it's not for everyone. It's done in a very hot room and some people think that all yoga is like this.

It's more suited to someone a bit more advanced or with decent flexibility - which might be you.

And if you are going to do hot yoga make sure you are very very well hydrated. People faint sometimes as beginners .

There are other styles of Yoga that work well for relaxation and mental calming as well complimenting bodybuilding or martial arts such as Yin yoga

Poses are held for longer periods of time - and mostly not in a hot environment

Certain yoga poses really test your core strength and balance

6. Frips_Girl

Frips_Girl Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    Yin yoga is VERY tough for a beginner. Physically, it's easy. You sit in a pose for 3-5 minutes, and over that time the mind sends signals to the muscles to relax and you go deeper and deeper into the pose. Mentally, it's torture if you don't realise how long 5 minutes is. I notice my first time Yin students to be very antsy, even though I consult with them prior to the class. Try it as it's awesome, but know that it's more of a meditative class.

I don't like Bikram at all. The cult-like mentality is anti-yoga from the true, classical teachings. The classes are abrupt, there are no corrections, and the teachers I've had made examples of those who felt the need to get out for a breath of air. I've left Bikram classes feeling so frazzled, that I never recommend it, but just like Vegas, you have to see it to believe it. So give it a try one day.

A regular room temperature hatha class is a nice way to begin. One can go more into a 'vinyasa' if you prefer more movement. My recommendation is to do what you can and not worry about the rest of the class. Tell the teacher before class that you're new, and any good teacher will keep an eye on you, helping you along.

Hot vs cold: Depends on how one handles a hot, summer day. I teach in both environments, but always prefer regular temperature. Why? You are testing your TRUE flexibility and not the flexibility of pre-warmed muscles. Many people hurt themselves with a false sense of flexibility- I've done this many times and day 2 is when you really feel it.

Look up Groupons in your area for yoga studios and just go, try it out. Remember that everyone in that class at one time was the beginner so go with it, do what you can, and smile- it's just yoga :)