How to loose $100k in 12 months | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How to loose $100k in 12 months

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by judge4re, Apr 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    There was a 57 at the front door of the Westin when we got here today. Spicy said "not bad". I may be in trouble...

2. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Not any more.

That's always the thing, the car is easy to afford, service is not.

A friend of mine used to have a 750iL. He loved the car, but hated spending over a grand every time he took it in for service.

3. wcelliot

wcelliot Formula Junior

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Complexity is killing newer cars as they age. A Porsche 928, BMW 750, even my Northstar Allante... have incredibly bad resale value because of the cost of service, repairs, etc. Pretty sad when a mainstream car has a higher value than the special flagships these marques had.

That being said, I would not be interested in any Mercedes built in the last decade or so. Quality and reliability have taken a nosedive while complexity and gadgetry have gone up.

Her's my latest find... destined to not depreciate at all and be fairly easy to service. Rare German model with a 4sp manual and a huge factory sunroof. Fresh 280 engine with mechanical fuel injection. No rust but needing a few cosmetics....

http://fnader.com/images/Mercedes/

Who needs new cars?!

Bill

4. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

Hey Bill-

Is this a 67? I had a beautiful antique white 250S that ran like a top, sold it with 62,000 original miles on the clock. Unreal how much attention that car garnered, who would expect it? Not bad on the highway, but better for in-town cruising.

Nick

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I disagree. Reliability wise, it was a a step up. As was fit and finish. The E38 50 interiors with leather covering EVERYTHING and minimal use of plastic really made me even more angry when I saw the 745 plasticity cheap interior.

6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    #31 LetsJet, Oct 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    To me, the interior is opulent in the way a private jet is opulent:- you know the materials are expensive, and it's comfy, but it still looks like plastic.

I had a 6.3 Totally classic, big, fast, elegant and they don't make 'em anything near like that anymore. The later 6.9 has that plasticy thing going again.
    Saw an early 90's coupe on the run to the city this morning- not badged CL, just S. That slab-sided look is, to my eye, easier than the current japanese style Mercedes shell. And, they must be pretty cheap these days.

The Maybach is, in my estimation, an atrocity. It looks like an overdone S class. If I wanted that kind of statement in a Mercedes, I'd take a short or long wheelbase 600, restored. Otherwise, for de modern bling, the Roller or a big Bentley. I've been told that the Maybach is suprisingly fast, though.

8. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Perfect for a four-person jaunt to Vegas.. I wouldn't even mind sitting in traffic on the 15 if I was in the backseat. ;)

9. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I can see where BMW cut corners on the E38 that were not cut on the E32 (for instance, E38 solid rear brake rotors?! plastic radiator necks fail early, etc. Though it is not as though the E32 didn't have it's share of problems.)

Also not really sure that the E38 will end up being more reliable. I suppose time will tell. The E38 does have a great deal of features I want (buttons on steering wheel, 5-sp auto, takes denison ICElink and Stealth1 radar detector integration. Bluetooth, etc.) I'll probally pick up an 01 soon, it will go with dad's 99 740il nicely.

Anyrate, either 7 is a fantastic car. Much better than the current crop.

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Solid rears? Not in the '50 (also were for a number of years the F largest rotors of any sedan, and rears were only marginally smaller 330 to 327 if I recall correctly); Radiator necks, not in the '50 (uses a different angle, as its a different engine).

In short mechanically they are a better design (M70 to M73) as one of the BMW's key points was to increase reliability. You never hear of DME issues with a M73 for example.

As such the only real issue the car has is fading pixels, oil pump bolts loosening , power steering lines that leak (as with 40s), and valve covers that leak. Some say the cats are weak too. The 40s have more issues it seems, though, it could be a sample error, still in 5 years I have seen far more complaints lodged by the '40s. The electronics haven't proven to be a problem for most (save the pixels that fade), I know people with far greater miles and older then mine.

BTW get the 01, great car!

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Added bonus, a restored SWB is only $300k less than the 62...

12. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    I have an E32 750 as well ('92). A war wagon. 166k miles and not a squeak or rattle. Cheap cheap too.

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I love depreciation. I can't wait to pick up an E39 M5 and an '01 E38 750iL Protection (just for the heck of it) for dirt cheap. M cars don't fall down too much unfortunately for me. Since the E39 is regarded as one of the last true BMWs, the M5 might hold it's value very well and never dip below 20, sigh.

14. ROGUE GTS

ROGUE GTS Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Kalifornia
    All this talk about big comfy cars and not one person has mentioned the new Audi's... Honestly the A8 is a damn nice car and imo the interior shats all over the S600 and 7 series. Oh yeah and the S is gonna fly.

15. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    #40 whart, Oct 28, 2005
  16. Buffarino

Buffarino Guest

I gotta wonder what kind of jets you're flying on that look like plastic on the inside. I've flown on many a Gulfstream and Challenger and have yet to see one that had anything approaching plastic in the interior.

The interiors alone on those planes can cost as much as your house for a full re-rag.

17. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    #42 whart, Oct 28, 2005
    Here's a pic of a G V interior. Looks like a lotta plastic to me, no matter how much leather or burled veneer you lay on; in fact, change the color palate from white to dark grey, and it does look pretty close to our Maybach interior shot. By contrast, take a look at the interior of an old MB 600.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Buffarino

Buffarino Guest

So where is the plastic? I'd love for you to show it to me.

That's suede on the headliner and custom made carpet on the floor. Add on polished wood in the galley, tables and drink holders and I'm not seeing the plastic. I suppose if you count the toilet seat, there is some plastic on board. But then again, that is covered by a leather seat cover.

That suede headliner alone costs upwards of $10-15k to replace. But you think it's plastic. Methinks you havent' been on many private jets.

19. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    The preformed panels lining the walls may be something other than plastic, but the entire effect is cheap looking. That was my point. As to my flight time on private jets, I'm sure it is not as great as yours. But if you think the use of the materials there is great looking, I'll refrain from insulting your taste.

20. Buffarino

Buffarino Guest

No, they're not all great looking. But they certainly can be. Some are hideously ugly. But they are all quite expensive.

Like they say, you can't buy taste. I've seen some with forest green leather seats. Others with all-white interiors and many conbinations in-between. The best looking interior I've ever seen was on a Global Express. Absolutely stunning. I'll see if I can find pics. I know the plane just sold.

21. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    "Some are hideously ugly. But they are all quite expensive." Just like a ....

hmmm... Maybach?

G'nite.

22. Buffarino

Buffarino Guest

Well, the picture you showed of the G-V looked like it was well-done. I'm still not sure where the 'plastic' comments came from. On well-done aircraft interiors (and in the Maybach, for that matter), nothing comes off as plasticy in person. Maybe you need to see a few more private jets (and Maybachs) in person.

Goodnight to you, too.

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Classic, not gimmicky. Very nice.

24. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Boy, the only other car which immediately comes to mind that would present a similar challenge, with no upside on restoration, would probably be an A-M Lagonda. Jamie Kitman, who lives down the street (sometimes) has a restored 6.3 that is just gorgeous. Parts have to be frighteningly expensive.