How to loose $100k in 12 months | FerrariChat

How to loose $100k in 12 months

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by judge4re, Apr 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Oops.

Wonder how long before they hit $100k...

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    $20 per mile...
    12 Months from now?

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    That's my guess.

Looked at 10 year old S600 sedans, they're trading for about 15% of MSRP now.

No reason to think these will be any different...

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Now those are a steal. I'd still like one of the mid-90's S.

5. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Amen brother! The mid 90's S600 is a fantastic car.

Interesting about the Maybach and depreciation, though I don't really think the target audience cares much about that factor. I wonder how much of a hit the new Phantoms are taking? I would much rather have a nicely depreciated Phantom than the Maybach.

6. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hell yeah, I'm cruising in a 93 600SEL with the individual reclining rear seats, it's the poor man's maybach.

And this car was over $110k new, I'm in it for 10% of that price.

The last well engineer mercedes. The new S class feels and looks very tinny compare to the W140.

7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Chris

Want a real merc ?

Try a 600 or a 6.3 !!!!

8. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

This might be a stupid question, but why do so many people look down on the Maybach? An acquaintance of mine has a 57, and it is hard to imagine a more luxurious car. The performance supplied by the engine is pretty amazing as well considering the size of the car. His son's S600 looks like a compact next to it. It makes my wife's C320 looks, well, like a toy.

Don't all of these cars (Bentley, R-R, Maybach, Ferrari 2+2) have precipitous depreciation? Being able to buy one in ten years for $50k would be a great buy. I would guess that most Maybachs would not have that many miles on them and would be engineered to last for eons anyway.

9. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Steve.....

I don't think people look down on the Maybach....it's a nice car....but so's an S600 for a fraction of the price.....and therein lies the problem with the Maybach.......err S600 clone......err Maybach......heh.

10. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    You're kidding. I had no idea they were in that price range. Hmmm...

That's the last one that was "engineered like no other car in the world". Built like tanks.

11. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    no 600 can touch the interior on the Maybach, it is to die for

12. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    3rd or 4th this!

13. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I know a guy that owns a Maybach 62. His biggest complaint is that the car only has 4 seats (2 in front, 2 in back). Since he has a full-time chauffeur, that leaves 3 seats. He and his wife can't even go to dinner with another couple!

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    That's one of the reasons the car hasn't done well.

Don't get me wrong, I kind of like the car. With the exception of some stupid little things failing, my W140.500 was a good car.

But, knowing that most of the stupid little things that failed (5 window regulators in 3 years, the a/c fan circuit, the hydraulic suspension - twice) and knowing that this is one of those MB's built after the cost cutting programs that were initiated in 1996, this may be a cool ride, but its going to be an absolute PIA to keep one running off of warranty.

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    How much is an MB limo? Like a regular 8 passenger? i'm sure you could get something snazzy for 1/2 the price of the Maybach if you want to haul everyone.

16. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    This is why I love my 88 750iL. Built like a friggin tank. Even the E38 7 series wasn't quite as well built (though still a very good car.) BMW's latest offerings might as well be made in china.

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Don't laugh, but there is a plant here...

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Unfortunately, you have to service them like tanks too. Most of the time, only governments can afford those bills...

In 2003 I was driving my S about the same amount as my 365. I spent less on servicing the Ferrari. That should tell you something if you're looking at getting one of these.

19. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Agreed...I've also felt the Maybach could of had a better, more "statey" design. For the price tag, it has too bland of a design. The interior is increbile, and I do kinda like the car. If I had money to burn, I would pick one up.

20. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    This is true! Although honestly, aside from parts costs, these cars are like working on an overgorwn Chevy. Ok, about like working on 2 chevys at once :) Ie, not that hard once you get into it.

21. Art

Art Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Southern California
    Or the 450SEL 6.9 (the one featured in the movie Ronin). It's an awesome car.

22. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    B eijing
    M otoren
    W erke

23. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    With the exception of the exotics like Ferrari, I've noticed that almost all cars from Ford to BMW follow pretty much the same deprectation timeline. In 10 years they are going to loose 80% of their value even if they are well taken care of. Before I got my 328, I was looking at early 90's BMW 850's which were fairly limited production and their top-of-the-line model. Very good ones could be had for $25K. The 7 series is even worse with good ones in the $10K to $12K range.

There are too many of them made to ever be collectible, you need an engineering degree to work on anything made after about 1985, and the people that can afford them are going to trade every couple of years anyway. The market for expensive to maintain luxury cars that are out of warranty isn't that large.

I don't think the Maybach will hit $100K in a year, but I do expect they will be that low after three or four years. But would you want one at that price? $100K will buy a new warranteed Mercedes. Would you rather have a new Mercedes or a four-year old Maybach with the resulting risk of having to fix anything that went wrong out of your pocket?

24. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    How much is a new BMW 745il these days? I was looking on ebay and these cars are going for 45k u.s.

25. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I'd take the Maybach twice on sunday. For one thing, the S65AMG will still be $180k not 100.

I'll fix the dam thing myself like I'm starting to do all my cars. Ain't that hard, certinly not as hard as putting together hardened avionics for mil/commercial aircraft...)