458 - How to clean stain in tan leather | FerrariChat

458 How to clean stain in tan leather

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Apr 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I was adjusting my glovebox in my 458 with tan leather seats and As I was turning a small screw with some black grease on the threads dropped onto my leather seat as left a small black stain! As my fellow Ferrari owners are aware this is incredibly upsetting. I don’t want to dare attempt to clean it until I hear the expert opinions on the best way to clean and remove this stain. Advice is GREATLY appreciated! Here are photos

View attachment 3120008
    View attachment 3120009
    View attachment 3120010
    View attachment 3120011
    View attachment 3120012

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    Replying just so I know since the interior on my Bentley is white/blue.

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The only thing I use to clean leather is Zymol:

https://www.amazon.com/Zymol-Z-507-Leather-Cleaner-Conditioner/dp/B000F7VKD4

The amber color bottle shown there is what I use. I've used it to restore very delicate leather stuff and to clean also. Just used it last week on a very old antique German caliper which had a dirty leather pouch. Worked perfectly and did not harm the leather at all, despite its age.

There are other creative ways, including using WD40 or mineral spirits, etc. but given that it's tan leather, I think I'd probably stick to Zymol and a micro fiber rag and/or paper towel. I'd probably start using a Q-tip soaked in Zymol and see how that goes first.

Another option is couch micro fiber cleaner / spot remover. I have some which is just amazing. It came in a little kit when I bought the couch in our living room. It works on just about everything. I don't know what's in it, but it removes spots like you wouldn't believe. If Zymol doesn't get it, I can check and see who makes it and post further information. However, Zymol cleaner, followed up by conditioner should fix you up I would think.

Ray

spyder625 and Chizz like this.
  4. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    Thanks for that, just ordered it myself. Hopefully never have to use it but I’m sure I will at some point.

RayJohns likes this.
  5. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    +1

6. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thanks a lot. Ray you are a Ferrari maintenance/diagnosing/solution machine!

What leather conditioner is recommended after I do the zymol?

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this.

haha :)

The Zymol conditioner that comes in that kit (as shown in that link above) is what I use. I have tried several others, including Connolly Hide Care, but the Zymol conditioner is far and away the best I have found for Ferrari leather (at least the stuff used back in the 355 and 360). If you have colored leather, be a little careful and do a test spot first. But usually Zymol cleaner works well for cleaning and their conditioner works well for conditioning. Those are the only two products I use on leather car seats, etc.

Ray

8. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Still waiting for the zymol to show up. Will report results!

RayJohns likes this.
  9. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    zymol best product you can get....

10. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    BEST STUFF!!!

Chizz likes this.
  11. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Will be interesting to see your results as current Ferrari cars including 458 use surface dyed water soluble dyes. I had a tiny dab of grease on my driver side bolster some yrs. ago which I removed within 15 min. of contact with leatherique cleaner & it removed the dye on the bolster where it came in contact. I truly felt sick even though it was tiny! Was easy @ weeks of toil to repair after taking it to local Ferrari Dealer. They had an excellent mobile leather repair facility redye the small blemish quickly without blemish. I used to use Leatherique, Zymol cleaners on my prev. Ferrari's that had oil based leather's without fail, but switched to Glipstone as was told it was for water based dyes. Liked the other products better, but not going there any longer. My suggestion is take the car to Ferrari or a quality leather repair facility. Save yourself some frustration,ask the leather facility what the recommend for water based dyes in the future for cleaning etc.

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, Ferrari's surface dyed leather can be a problem for sure. I had something get on the dash of my 458 and it removed the color top coating in record time.

Ray

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Can you post a picture of the stain?

Ray

14. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Wow, good to know! I've never paid much attention to the those cautionary words 'try first in an inconspicuous area before applying' :eek:

docf likes this.
  15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    If you look under a magnifying glass, the leather will have like a zip-a-tone look to it (i.e. a bunch of tiny dots on the surface). If you see that, be careful! :)

Ray

xBox likes this.
  16. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I just looked at the Gliptone website and they have many different interior cleaning products. Can you tell me exactly which one to use?