How rare are Ferrari 400 series manuals? | FerrariChat

How rare are Ferrari 400 series manuals?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Sep 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Was browsing through the workshop of our local F dealer and came accross a 400i and usually I expect to see an auto but no this one was a stick shift but sadly the colour combination wasnt at all great.....

Brown exterior with tan interior and brown carpets.....

So how rare are manual cars?

2. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    I don't consider myself an expert on the 400 series, but here is the information I have from some of my sources:

400 (carbs): 502 cars made - 355 automatics, 147 manual.

400i (fuel injection): 1,306 cars made - 884 automatics, 422 manual.

Note that the number of 400i cars build differs a bit from source to source: one stated a total of 1,308 cars were made, and according to another one 1,313 cars were made (split in 886 automatics and 427 manual).

Overall, a little over 2/3 are automatics.

3. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    #3 aleventhal, Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I bought my 400i (#18265 - daily driver all 4 seasons) specifically BECAUSE it was brown (marrone) with tan leather and brown dash - I thought it was far and away the best color for the car - but apparently reasonable minds can differ. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. FERRARI NOS 1

FERRARI NOS 1 Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 3, 2006
    Alot of automatics were sent to U.S ,here in Italy the majority are manuals

5. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Thats a nice colour brown, this car that I saw obviously didnt have the standard colour because it was a much darker brown and the interior was a lot darker than your, pretty much like that dark chocolate colour....

Looking at your pictures I am inclined to agree that the Ferrari brown actually looks quite good....

6. tarzancoe

tarzancoe Karting

Oct 2, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    JM
    I love this car in brown

7. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    A couple years ago I drove a 5spd 400i for a test drive feature in my column "Sound Classics." I was very impressed with how the 400i could be so good at delivering both GT and sports car properties. Although the automatic is fine for a high-speed GT, I felt the five speed really made the car better all-around.

In addition, because the car is front-engined, the shifter was much more fluid and precise than in many of the middies.

The owner sold the car last year...it was a gorgeous red with creme interior.