How much of a jump is it from a Ninja 250 to a GSXR 600? | FerrariChat

How much of a jump is it from a Ninja 250 to a GSXR 600?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Aaya, May 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    I've been riding my '05 250 ninja this season and while it's a lot of fun it lacks in power. I'd like a bike that I could comfortably take on the highway and had passing power. I know that on paper the gixxer has three to four times the power with extremely responsive brakes and handling. I've heard is that from low to mid range RPM's the gixxer has a similar power curve to a ninja 500.

So could anyone here give me their personal opinion on moving up to a gixxer?

How's the comfort? How much higher are the running costs? Is it too big of a jump from a 250?

2. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    I can say that riding a 250 vs a 600 is going to be pretty significant. Most 600 CC "race replica" bikes like the Gixxer 600 are about as powerful as any normal person needs on the street. You will not need more power than a 600 unless you take it to the track (and are pretty damn good on track day). I have ridden both bikes, and the speed you can pick up on the 600 is much faster. Handling wise, the 600 will also be a much more aggressive bike, but I'm proud of you for starting with a 250. Most idiots jump on a 1300cc because they think it's the fastest bike on the street. That's BEYOND overkill for a street rider.

As far as comfort goes, most sportbikes are not comfortable for more than a few hours. Doesn't matter how big or small, the seats are for sport riding (to slide your butt) and since you're leaning fowards your back will hurt after a while.

Running costs are never really an issue with Japanese bikes. You're insurance is going to go up and you're gas mileage will go down, but most people don't ride enough for gas mileage to really matter.

One thing you probably won't hear from a lot of people is I recommend keeping the bike stock. It's very tempting to get a Power Commander and unbreakable clutch levers and carbon fiber tank pads and black windscreens and blah blah blah, but it's all just a waste of money. A stock sport bike is going to be more bike than the first million people you meet will ever be able to ride to its full potential.

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

good comments from andrew. a 600 is all the bike nearly all of us will ever need. having begun on a ninja 250, you have been able to embark on the two wheeled experience where you have likely learned important aspects of 2 wheeled vehicle dynamics...just w/o the power.

you will be fine aboard a 600 cc scoot but be judicious w/ the throttle. the power comes on far harder than you will have experienced and can get you in trouble...work up to the power slowly.

a worthy note, i raced in ccs and wera for 6 years (ending in 1998). i started out w/o any advice and ended up buying a team hammer 750 superbike from keith perry.
    it was the wrong way to start but i survived it and loved the horsepower. i did however end up finishing my racing on a 600 supersport and have since always told people that a 600 was more than enough for nearly anyone...period!!

go enjoy your new 600 but remember you are taking a big step up!!!

pcb

4. Savoy6

Savoy6 Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2007
    Lago Vista, Tx
    Full Name:
    John
    id get a sv650 next do a season or so on it and maybe find some trackdays to do on it. then move up. the jump from a 36 hp 250 to a 115 hp gixxer is huge. gixxer 600 is a race bike minus the safety wire but kudos for starting out on a 250. Working your way up you like this you will have alot more fun and less likely to get scuffed up along the way.

5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Years ago I had a 250, multiple 600cc crotch rockets, and a 1000cc bike. Back then (10 years ago or so), 600cc bikes were 70hp, liter bikes 100hp or so...

And back then, going from a 250 to a 600 was worlds apart. And going to a liter bike was a big jump too...

Now, the hp is twice what it used to be... which blows my mind...

I recall that the 600cc bike was the most fun - light, cheap, easy to maneuver... The liter bike was way heavier, and was a pain if you ever get stuck in traffic...

I loved my FZR600 :). Ninja 900 rocked too...

6. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    #6 Choptop, May 29, 2009
    Last edited: May 29, 2009
    A 600 Gixxer is another world beyond the 250. Could you handle it? Likely. Its not as comfortable as the 250.

Lots of recommendations for a second bike, but it depends on the riding you do. Mostly commuting? weekends in the twisties? destination rides? trackdays?

for anything other than pure canton carving or track days.... consider something like the FZ6 - smaller sport touring bike. MUCH more comfy than a race replica Gixxer and more bike than you'd need for anything short of a track day, even then, I've gotten pretty damn jiggy with the FZ6 and FZ1 at track days. Both are top notch bikes.

Disclaimer - I ride a 2002 FZ1 as my street bike. I LOVE it. but then again, I dont ride aggressively on the street at all. Most like destination rides with some twisties thrown in. But I ride slow enough to take in the scenery. On the track? thats a different matter. I ride my Gixxer HARD and all I see on the track is the next apex.

also consider the 2006 KAWASAKI 650R.

difference in running costs are negligible unless you are doing track days, then a 600, 750 or 1000 Gixxer will eat tires MUCH faster than your 250 (in ascending order of hunger)

Comfort is going to be a big issue. A race replica style bike like the Gixxer is designed for the track and really arent comfortable that anywhere else. Can you get used to it? Sure, but still, ride 4-5 hours on the freeway on a Gixxer and then a sport touring bike and report back. The Gixxer will leave you in pain. The opposite applies to canyon carving or trackdays. The Sport Touring bike will leave you wishing for a more aggressive riding position pretty quickly.

for something different... consider a Ducati Monster. V-twin power, italian style, italian quirkiness, italian parts and service cost, italian sexiness. They are comfy, they are cool, they are expensive to maintain... whats not to like? :D

7. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    Nothing not to like in that sentence, nope nothing at all :D

Thanks everyone for their advice. I'm a little torn on the Sport Touring bike versus a pure race bike, a Monster/SV/650 might be a good compromise. Ergonomics wise I'd put my 250 closer to a touring bike than a sports bike so I might not be ready for the discomfort of a gixxer. But I love the looks of the 600, the sound, the acceleration. The way people describe it reminds me of a Ferrari CS.

8. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Its going to be a huge difference. Especially the first couple of rides before you get acclimated to the power hit at higher revs. Steering, braking, weight etc, all going to be totally different.

That said, while I'm a staunch supporter of newbies on EX250s etc, by the time they roll around to their second bike, I largely leave them alone. You know by now what kind of rider you are and what you can and can not do (in theory, and if you don't then keep the 250 for a while longer), any bike you get is going to be a pretty decent step up, so hopefully by now you have learned some good habits.

Looks should be way down on the list of things when picking your second bike though. Too many people with superbikes with bald center sections of the tire. End up never riding them because they aren't comfy and are way more than what they want/need on the street.

9. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    they are a good compromise. They dont have the "racy" feel of a 600 race replica, and thats good and bad, depending on your riding style. For me, I wouldnt have a race replica for the street any more. Perhaps I'm just old... perhaps a little wiser. In reality, even the biggest, heaviest sport touring bike will do 90% of what you ever SHOULD be doing on the street. Smaller ones like the FZ6 will do 99%.

Try out an FZ6 if you can... its got the revvy inline 4 - 600cc engine but in a comfortable layout.

the Monster/SV/650 is a pretty good bet, but its a V-twin vs. inline 4 feel.

there are some out there that might be an acquired taste... the ZRX1100... straight up UJM, lots of power, not a ton of handling, but just a brute.

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    this thread brings back memories. i actually listened to an older friend and rode a EX500 ninja for 2 years before i moved up. now bear in mind, the bike was old THEN, and it had rear drum brakes! i had several scarier and bigger bikes after that, and then swore them off, never to ride one again.

great advice in this thread, hats off to you for starting with something that is much easier to control and program your reflexes with. i found i lack the self control to have a sport bike, and i like living a bit too much to have anymore of them.

stay safe! :)

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Whatever you upgrade to, keep the 250 in your "stable".

As various mileagestones [mileage milestones] are reached, how much is maintenance on the various Monsters?

12. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    I forget what the mileage milestones are... will call a friend that has one and find out.

I do know that valve adjustment is crucial with the Desmo system.

a good relationship with a good dealer makes owning a Ducati MUCH nicer. I'm an hour away from Modesto Ducati, one of the best in the country. YMMV.

13. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I just picked up a Triumph Street Triple R....675 triple with comfortable riding ergos. That would make a nice next step from your 250.

14. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #14 greg328, May 30, 2009
    Last edited: May 30, 2009
    Look, any bike is only as safe as your right wrist. I started riding only 2.5 years ago, and my first bike was a Ducati S2R 800. 80hp, 380 lbs.

After 6 months, I was bored, so I traded up to a Ducati 1098. 160hp , same weight as the Monster. Yes, I do use lots of throttle when conditions allow. I am in love with this bike, and will probably get the new BMW S1000RR when it arrives in a few months, to try a 4-cylinder bike also.

Maybe I'm unusual, but I'm very comfortable and confident on my 1098, yet I'm a recent convert to motorcycles. I am 44, so maybe that has something to do with it--if I would have gotten involved with motos when I was in my 20s I might not be here today! I also keep myself in great shape, so I'm comfortable for hours on my bike...

Again, anything you get is going to be only as safe as your judgment will be.. Confidence and safety first are the key things when riding a powerful motorcycle. Knowing when it's safe to twist the throttle hard, that's the secret!

Greg

15. drchako

drchako Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Palo Alto, CA
    Great memories. I had a "baby Ninja" EX500 back in 1987. It was bike of the year around that time. I ended up riding it from NY to Florida, an experience I never want to repeat.

If you are considering any long distance riding, keep this in mind.

-DrC

16. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    I had a Ninja 250 for a year (required by law here that you ride a 250cc bike for a year) before getting my MV F4 - big jump but in the end if you have your head screwed on straight it shouldn't be a problem. Control your right hand and ease your way into it.

All 600+ sports bikes are too fast for the street really.

17. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    Thanks for the continued insight and advice everyone. I decided I'm going to ride the 250 the rest of this season, passing power aside I really enjoy the bike. My buddy who also started on a 250 this season couldn't help himself and got the GSX-R 600, hopefully I'll get some seat time on that.

18. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    1) Keep your right wrist down so you don't twist the throttle if you get suprised
    2) Pay attention to your surroundings
    3) Keep your right wrist down so you don't twist the throttle if you get suprised
    4) Have your fingers over the clutch and brake, so you can kill the power and hit brakes if needed
    5) Keep your right wrist down so you don't twist the throttle if you get suprised

Know the basics, put a season under your belt with a 250 and rm there you can go up to whatever you want. Be sensible about the throttle.

I've ridden a turbo Busa, 8.5 second 1/4 mile bike, FZ1, GSXR 750, CBR 600, KZ 750LTD and a 250 Rebel. The Busa and the drag bike were fun to ride. The only times i've gone down is when screwing off (endo's and forgetting to put the kick stand up) The closest I ever came to really wrecking hard is I wasn't paying attention and a 90 degree turn appeared out of nowhere. The only thing I culd do with the CBR was lean over and fast and hard as I could. I made it through the turn, but it thought me something. 1) PAY ATTENTION 2) THESE BIKES CAN ARE AMAZING HOW FAR THEY CAN LEAN OVER.

19. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    One thing is that the 600's have most of the power up higher in the rpm range. Below 8000 or so they should all be reasonably docile. A twin (such as an SV1000 or Duc 848) will have much more torque low in the rev range that could actually be more difficult for a newer rider.

20. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    Good man! I'm proud of you. You will be a better rider for the rest of your life because of this decision :)

Keep the rubber side down!