How many NSX owners? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How many NSX owners?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 96cobrakid, Feb 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I bought ES100's and it was like 500 bucks and they lasted a good 12K. I have recently bought S03's and I don't think they will last as long because I am doing more track events. Still that was about $800.

2. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    netviper

You need to come around here more :)
    I see you want a CS too to compliment your NSX; nice choice ;)

3. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I went around the track in pretty much every ferrari minus the super exotics (f40,f50, enzo) and the only car I was truly impressed with was the 360 CS. It is an incredible machine!

Who knows if I will ever own one, but I know I will always have a NSX. Just cannot beat it for an everyday supercar!

4. drive4fun

drive4fun Rookie

Jan 19, 2005
    I have a 94 nsx, my second. After going to buy a new 348 and taking a test drive, I was so disappointed I stopped in at the Acura dealer and drove the NSX. Night and day. Bought my first then and there. Over the years I have added a lot of cars including a 550 and 360. I still consider it the best car $ for $ I ever bought. Wouldn't hesitate to take it on a 1000 mile drive, while I would think twice about some of my F cars. All the noise about too little hp or lack of heritage is baloney. Car was designed to be quick not fast; fit and finish is impeccable and it still has the best tranny/linkage I have ever driven.
    PS Best drive car ever was the enzo--- on track multiple times, with McClaren F1 being second, but well back of enzo.

Also interesting that the car is still worth 60% of what it cost me new after 10+ years and no unscheduled maintenance.

5. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    bought mine and kept it for about 3 months....
    got bored with it....got rid of it....but loved it.

6. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    I had my '94 NSX for about 2 years. My wife loved it, I loved it...it drove great, handled superbly (matching the EVO III on a particular mountain road in Thailand), but a bit weak on the brake.

The car had no issue while it was mine.

Sold it several months back to make way for the 512TR....still keep my R34 GTR though...

But I must say that the NSX is very impressive for its ability which can match any of its competitors from the same era. NSX really makes 348 look bad and the Esprite looked dated, IMO.

7. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    NSX is a great car. Didn't buy one then because I was into GTR's and the like. Further, the new ones are Automatics, and the prices are well into 911 territory and most used ones are Auto too. There are two Type-R's ( being a RHD country we get the Japanese Domestic Models too..) and the owners are not selling..understandable.
    Thinking of getting one now for my wife and since she can only drive a self-shifter, an autobox won't be a hindrance to her. We can then bring our two kids on my Sunday drives or for the Saturday Sepang track days. What do you guys figure ? Any difference in a MY94/MY97/MY99 ?

8. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #58 nsxnick, Feb 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Why would you want to take a step down?

10. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    Ha! gotta love these NSX guys, thats why i had to stop visiting NSX PRIME, and sold my NSX last month. They kept bashing my 355 saying how the build quality was so bad ect.. funny thing is i could not get one of them to come down a run a few miles with me. Dont get me wrong, the NSX is a good car for the money if you buy it used, but its not Ferrari, line the cars up and ask the first 5 people who walk by which car they would take, not a one would take the NSX. Pay 95k for a new 290hp car? not a chance, guess thats why they won't make the car anymore. Now, this is a FERRARI board so i hope i'm safe here!

vince

11. MiamieNeSeX

MiamieNeSeX Formula Junior

May 29, 2004
    I agree with you only that the "NSX is not a Ferrari" But a "Toyota is not a Ferrari" or a "Porsche is not a Ferrari" also holds true. As far as curb apeal everyone has an opinion, but if you find it hard to spend $80,000 (not 95,000) for a 290 HP car, How much was the 355 when new and how much HP were you getting for that. And I think you are confused, its the 355 that they dont make anymore, Honda is still making the NSX.

Armando

12. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    No i am not confused, they were going to make a "new" NSX but did not because they did not want to invest anymore $$ in the car. The 355 is 380hp, my 100k Porsche GT3 has over 380 hp, want me to go on?

vince

13. MiamieNeSeX

MiamieNeSeX Formula Junior

May 29, 2004
    You said they didnt make the NSX anymore not true, that they are not going ahead with a redesigned model, only the higher ups at Honda know. Seems you are comparing new NSX prices with your used Porsche price. If thats the case we can compare my 92 to your GT3.

Armando

14. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    They didnt because they don't sell enough of them to support a retraining of service reps and dealer networks. This according to Car & Driver and a few other mags. I don't understand your comment about the Porsche. What i am saying is, for that kind of money there are a lot of cars a out there that are a MUCH better value for the money than a new or slightly used NSX.

vince

15. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Vince, I don't think you understood my comment.

He wants to sell a NSX Twin Turbo for a 355. To me that is a step down. A TT NSX will wipe a 355 off the map. Hell, a 97 NSX will hang with a stock 355.

Now, if he was selling a stock NSX for a 355, I would not have said it was a step down.

Glad you sold your car. Maybe the next owner will appreciate what he has.

16. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Then ask them if they could afford to maintain it. :rolleyes:

17. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    Well if you can't afford to maintain it you can't afford the car, so the NSX is better suited for you. As i said i liked my NSX but it does not have the sound or style or the " fun factor" as the Ferrari, IMO. I think trading a 355 for ANY NSX is a step WAY down, again IMO. I guess my question would be, those of you that think its not, do you or have you ever owned a 355?

vince

18. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Maybe you should visit www.nsxfiles.com and read about how their 355's did compared to the NSX's. Chapter 38 and 50.

As far as people not wanting to race your 355, If you lived close to me I would be glad to run with you. I know my car won't win, but I am sure as hell not afraid of a 355 and I think I could EASILY hang with you on a track.

19. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Vince,

I followed the thread on nsxprime closely that you are referring to. For the benefit of other NSX owners and nsxprime members let's make clear that "they" you are referring to was really one guy talking smack about how 355's are unreliable. You then countered by asking him if he had ever owned one and dutifully put him in his place. Please don't mistake most NSX owners for that jerk. Although I love NSX's and 355's, I agree with your assessment that a 355 outranks an NSX in most every way. That's why my next sports car will be a 355.

take it easy

Kevin

20. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    Kevin,

Thanks for your imput, while it got a bit heated on that forum i do not think all NSX owners are like that, i met some really nice folks. It just seems that some of them think the NSX is the best of the best, again, its a great car but not the best. nor is the 355, i just think the Ferrari is a better car in a lot of area's. I think my GT3 is a better car than the 355 but i still love the 355.

vince

21. VS1

VS1 Karting

Oct 16, 2002
    Beavercreek, OH
    Full Name:
    Vishal Soin
    Sounds like everyone loves their NSXs. I have always had a soft spot for the car as well and am thinking it should be the replacement for my 328 [which I'm selling - time for a change]. I'll focus my search on the '02 and later models. May even spring for a new one considering the high probability that a replace model is still several years out if at all.

22. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I am with you threre. The Gt3 is AWESOME. I was VERY impressed. It simply blows a stock NSX and 355 out of the water on a track. The owners both told me it was too rough for a lot of street use though.

23. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    I hear that all the time about "not a daily driver" i drove it for 2 weeks to break it in and thought it was ok. I dont know about driving it in the snow being in calif.

vince

24. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The suspension was pretty stiff. Depending on how nice your roads are, it could be ok for a daily driver. Roads in Savannah are not so good. I rode on a NSX-R suspension tonight and it was too stiff for me.

25. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    How did the 355 get rated at 380 HP? Is it Italian math?

If the 355 does have 380 HP.....how does the NSX turn the same lap times with only 290 HP?