How many 308GTB Blue Sera Dry Sump Vetroresina's made? | FerrariChat

How many 308GTB Blue Sera Dry Sump Vetroresina's made?

Discussion in '308/328' started by judealexander, Oct 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judealexander

judealexander Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    FerrariChatters,

Wondering if anyone knows how many dry sump vetroresina 308 GTBs were produced in Blue Sera out of the 100 dry sump glass cars?

Thanks,
    JA

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You won;' find it tabulated, you are going to have to look at the Registry of survivors,
    And lots of the blue ones "ended up red"...

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    No-one knows with certainty: "those who know won't talk, those who talk don't know".

Being more serious: this kind of information is simply not available; the factory never did publish anything about this, to the best of my knowledge. Those who keep registers have partial info, but to this day no-one has a complete register. Some importers kept a good record of the cars they saw passing through their point of entry, "Maranello Concessionnaires" in the UK being the best in that matter.

One thing is nevertheless certain, there are many more "Vetroresians" with dry sump than 100; only the "100" (or about US cars) and the "44" Australians had wet-sump, all the others were dry sump. So you are dealing with about 650 dry sump cars, of which about 150 were RHD, which leaves you "about 500 LHD Dry Sump" vetros .

Those who quote numbers of cars in "such or such color" are usually unable to sustain their claims with reputable sources.

And finally...the "Vetroresina" ("Glass car" in Italian) is the unicorn of the 308s; the weights quoted are usually absurd, engine power is usually inflated to 255hp instead of the true 230...even the numbers quoted for production vary between 712 and 808 (yours truly being advocating 808); even the usually quoted number of "100" produced for the US marked might by off by one...or two...or three...

Well...might be actually better this way; kind of "The stuff that Dreams are made of", to quote "The Maltese Falcon".

Rgds

robbie308 and Nuvolari like this.
  4. judealexander

judealexander Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Thanks! Looks like I got my "facts" mixed up about the number of dry sump vs wet sump cars.

5. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    JA, go and take a look at excellent 308 GTB website of Robert Retzlaff:

http://www.308gtb.de/index_e.html

Navigate to the Serial No. page and scroll down the list, some of the cars have the color listed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robbie308 likes this.
  6. robbie308

robbie308 Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Robert Retzlaff
    Thanks for the shout-out, Ross. Since the recent refresh of the 308 GTB Register website the direct link above won't work anymore. Please use https://308gtb.de and navigate to the serial numbers section.

Robert

QV308 likes this.
  7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Since you asked, I am one of the people that doesn't know.