how is the 575 as a daily ? | FerrariChat

how is the 575 as a daily ?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ross, Apr 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    anybody try it?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Has worked fine for 13 years for me, but I worked from home the entire time.

3. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I've been doing it for a year.

Downsides: fob can't pop trunk; can't pop trunk while car is on; immobilizer requirement to disarm after a few min of sitting; seats should fold more to fit stuff on the parcel shelf; doors need better stoppers; cannot see radio if wearing polarized sunglasses; loose **** loves to go under/behind the seats.
    - not my gripe but I know it matters to others: cupholders & cruise
    Perks: super comfortable; great ability to haul things - every week I fit a FULL shopping cart worth of groceries in the trunk (remove the floor of the trunk); decent mpg; good visibility; great AC; can sit and idle for an hour on the phone with no issues;

Mikestradale, tres55, hwyman and 5 others like this.
  4. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    I can’t imagine using any Ferrari as a DD.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You need more imagination, since I have been doing it since 1975.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    @roma1280 put like 50k miles driving a 575 stick in and out of nyc from the suburbs for a long time

tres55, Bas, white out and 1 other person like this.
  7. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Been dailying mine when roads are clear. Fabulous!

Bas, white out and ifeelfree0 like this.
  8. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    I dunno, I kinda like that it’s a special event when I take mine out. But maybe you have a Bugatti for that lol.

so how many DD models have you had that spanned that 46 year stretch?

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Ross, more information is needed to answer this. “Daily” can mean many things. Is your daily use a drive from Geneva to Gstaad or to Chateau d’Oex? I can’t think of a better car. An early morning/late night commute from Houston to Dallas? Same. A school run from west London to north London in rush hour traffic over narrow roads with multiple speed bumps? I’d rather be in a Mercedes.

I have had a variety of “dailys” in the decades I have been driving and my 575 would have been a dream on around 30% of them, tolerable for around 30% and a PITA for the rest. Mine’s a manual, which for me makes it even worse in traffic and even better on the open road, and it has the FHP, which makes it worse over speed bumps, and better in the curves.

good points made about the doors, which are long and will swing open into the next door car in Tesco, and the boot/trunk needing to be activated with the ignition off and not able to be opened from outside, which is irritating if you have an armful of stuff. If your daily involves steep slopes in car parks, you may scrape the under tray every day in a different way.

And if you have several miles of crawling traffic on your daily, as millions of people do (fortunately not me), the manual would be a millstone, and even the F1 will feel laboured as it shifts up and down and up and eases the clutch in first and second and first.

So..more information. If you live in the Eifel mountains, or you own a winery in Sonoma and another in Napa, it’s the perfect daily.

10. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    @Themaven you are right to ask me those qualifying questions.
    in reality, this car would be intended as my wife's daily - which for her means less than 20 miles (many days less than 10), all flat, on the poor roads of houston, at mostly city speeds (other than occasional need to go on the highway in this big city), some traffic, but she tends not to go out at peak hours.

the alternative in my mind for her is the 612 - which i think is more comfortable and more practical in many aspects, but not as sporting (which only really matters to me frankly and not her).
    she currently drives a panamera 4s as a daily, and likes the speed but not the looks. she has asked me to get her a useable ferrari for her purposes, but not one i will feel bad about if it gets scraped or dinged.
    the 612's in this category are usually at the lower end of the range, so something like $60-70k, whereas the 575m is more like 80-90k.

and for the others, i dailied a 456mgt in geneva for 9 years and used it for all sorts of things. all the hassles mentioned for the 575 are similar for the 456.
    you live once, so live well.

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    456 and Maranello are broadly the same car in a mechanical aspect, so you'll have a good idea yourself already with your experience. Best friends' dad daily'd his 550 for as long as he owned it. I can't recall it ever having a fault apart from self induced ones.

Out of interest what do FF's go for in the States right now? Or over budget? Some of the niggles of the 550/575 are ironed out in that...

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    IIRC Maranello Skunkworks do a FOB trunk button.

13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @white out
    Shortly ago I PM’d Nick on that. I think Dave @ferraridriver mentioned to me only 2 Maranellos have trunk remotes?

Bas likes this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That's disappointing. A simple mod I believe and would imagine it quite popular...

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Salami- All the ones listed. The 308 GTS in England when I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath for four years.

16. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Seems like a California or California T could fit her needs nicely too and would be more modern than a 575 and 612. Both types of Californias seem to be tremendous bargains at the moment.

Good luck!

Ruben

Texas Forever and brogenville like this.
  17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i suggested those to her, showed her what they looked like at one of the recent ferrari gatherings, and she did not like it very much - prefers the elegance of the 612.
    i may try that tactic again tho since i agree a more modern tech might be easier to live with.

18. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel

yes, she could use the phone!

19. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    #19 rhern213, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    The 612 has dash space for a full double din screen stereo unit. So you can get all the latest phone functionalities of Android and Apple stuff if you'd like.

One thing I'd be a bit concerned about in a 575 is getting stuck in traffic in a Houston summer. The cooling system of the 575 is upgraded from the 550 so you should be fine staying within temp range, but just something to keep in mind and double check.

As @Bas metioned, the FF could also be an option if she likes the style. Would easily be a practical daily and you can pick one up for less than $120k.

Bas likes this.
  20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I daily drove my 612 oto for 6 miles. Was a joy outside of bending rims. I have always wanted to try and dd my 456 gtma but have never gotten around to it.

21. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Maybe in the right color it can seem more elegant? Here’s a particularly nice example that recently sold, which is IMO way better than the usual Rosso Corsa or even Giallo (neither of which I think suit that car... Grigio is a whole other story though): https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147615620/

This one is particularly striking too (albeit much higher price): https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/2017-ferrari-california-grigio-ingrid-metallic-cuoio-with-4-583-miles.640205/

Good luck!

Ruben

22. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    No one has mentioned the big problem is where Ca you park it safely ? I hate the idea of someone opening a door into it or parallel parking & exposure to careless people.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  23. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Good point! I worry about this quite a bit, even with my non-Ferrari dailies.

Ruben

NMNMNMN likes this.
  24. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I think the 612 is a great car for the price and this kind of usage. It’s great to drive; arguably as good as a 575, with an even better interior. As it’s a more recent car I guess it might cope with your Gulf coast heat a bit better. Those back seats are useful to dump stuff on, something that can be inconvenient with a two seater as a daily. You know that from your 456. I believe the F1 is better than that of the 575 also.

575 is cooler though.

ifeelfree0 likes this.
  25. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I wouldn't say it's a problem. Personally, I look for a better spot, not the 'first' spot, but I have had zero issues parking the 575 between cars (parallel or pull-in spots). If you're daily driving a car you have to carry the mentality that something might happen and if it does, you fix it.

Hawkeye likes this.