How is the 400 Automatic like to drive? | FerrariChat

How is the 400 Automatic like to drive?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by GrigioGuy, Jul 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I'm considering picking up a 400A for my dad for Christmas. He's always been a car guy, but these days needs a comfortable car with an auto. I know the 400/400i is a GT car, but how badly does the automatic transmission affect the performance/enjoyment of the car?

Thoughts for owners would be appreciated

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Ideal dads car...but he may not appreciate the gift if he has to pay the running costs......!!

3. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    A little like an XJS Jaguar, very relaxed and comfortable but put your foot down when your already moving and they do just go and go.
    A very underated Ferrari that can be a bit expensive to run (as you'd expect from any hand built V12 Ferrari)

Rust, Exhausts and suspension seem to be the really expensive bits to look after,the rest of the running gear is bomb proof

4. ferrari sulla pellicola

ferrari sulla pellicola Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2004
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard
    my only real complaint is how heavy the steering feels when pulling into parking spaces or similar low speed movement which is understandable because of its size,however when the cars at hwy speed and above its a pleasure to drive once one learns the engines powerband with the automatic.
    Its a great car and undervalued considering its a real Ferrari V12,and since theres a glut of them around for sale,finding an excellent example wont be hard.the 83-85 cars creature comforts like the ac,power windows etc worked much better than the earlier cars something to consider in warm climates.also know that all 400 ferraris are considered "grey market" although many cars papers make no mention of that and some parts can be pricey.
    Feel free to PM if you have other questions