How does a Mondial Sound? | FerrariChat

How does a Mondial Sound?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Shark01, Nov 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I'm starting to save for a weekend vehicle (daily beater is a '01 996TT), and I'd like a four seat convertible (kids in back). Been looking through some aftermarket exhaust clips, and don't see any videos for cars older than a 348.

How does a Mondial sound in comparison to a 348 or 355? Are there aftermarket exhausts available?

Thanks

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    As for drive by sound, the Mondial 8 sounds like a 308, and the Mondial 3.2 sounds like a 328, and the Mondial T sounds like a 348.

From inside the car the four place Mondial chassis does hide a lot of sound. I have a Mondial T (with the 3.4 liter) and a Borla exhaust. Its very tame.

Dont plan on getting it to sound like a 355 easily.

3. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Depends on which Mondial. Assuming stock exhaust systems, the Mondial 8, qv, 3.2, and t sound pretty much like the more recognizable cars of the era: 308, 308qv, 328, and 348, respectively. Same motors.

I have a 1989 Mondial t cabriolet. It has the 348 motor. The owner before me put a Tubi exhaust on it and it sounds great. A little loud in the parking garage, for sure, but mash the pedal to the floor and the sound as the engine really comes alive at 5000 rpm is wonderful.

Contact "jknight" or "Ed P." on this forum for more info. They have extensive knowledge of the marque and Mondials in particular.

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    A few from my collection:

Mondial t:
    http://media.putfile.com/mondial-t

Mondial 3.2 with Capristo exhaust:
    http://media.putfile.com/mondialcapristo

Mondial qv with alfatech exhaust (similar to tubi)
    http://media.putfile.com/Mondial-Alfatech

Mondial 3.2 with Dynomax/Ansa:
    http://media.putfile.com/mondial

Would recommend using a headset with good low frequency response as regular computer speakers do not reproduce the full sound well at all. They are very different in recording quality, so take them for what they are worth.

hope this helps
    rt

5. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Probably not relevant as you are seeking a cabriolet, but the coupe seems to be quite noisy inside. PeterP here on Fchat has a coupe and mentioned his was quieter after some work to the emission pipes that connect to the exhaust were sealed better?
    Not sure if it just a quirk of the coupe's interior dynamics?

6. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    My stock QV Cab sounds most like the Capristo clip. Funny thing about the acoustics in my car...they are completely different in the front seat and back. Riding in the back seat of my car (yes an adult can fit) I noticed that I couldn't hear the pleasant "burbling" on deceleration. Sitting in back, you hear more from the engine compartment and less from the exhaust. Top up and top down are entirely different experiences as well. Top up cuts down outside noise of all types dramatically. Although the car is still relatively noisy inside (as most convertibles are), carrying on a conversation with the top up can be done without shouting.

7. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Don't have a sound clip to point you to, but I changed the stock exhaust on my '84 Mondial QV this past summer to an ANSA system. I can hear the difference in the car. Nice and throaty, deeper than the original. I've gotten lots of complements about how the car sounds now.

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Thanks for the replies everyone, especially the clips from rt.

OK, I was shocked how different these sound from the high pitch F1 sound on the 348s and 355s. The Mondials (other than the T) sound more like muscle cars.

If anyone has a T clip, I'd love to hear it.

9. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    My Mondail 8 sounds great.

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Cool - I also have a Ferraro Mondale, but you can only hear it on the left side...