How about a Ferrari NASCAR team? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How about a Ferrari NASCAR team?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by ferrarigtofan, Nov 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Won't happen unless they are built in the US. NASCAR rule book states that very clearly. Ferrari never--unless they move from Italy to the US to build cars.....

2. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    True, my bad.

3. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Wow your pretty dam funny! Hell Dale Jr ran in AMLS with the C5R didnt he? I know he ran at the 24 hours or rolex. Tony stewart also ran in irl which is no pushover either and owns one of the most succesful dirt tracks in the country. Then Kyle Petty drove a porsche at the 24 hours of Rolex. I want to see you run against Tony or Dale JR on any kind of track. Downforce? what do you think keeps a 3000lb+ car on the track at 200mph thats downforce my friend.

4. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Yea, and I'm sure diving into turn one at Watkins Glen with only about a set of 12" cast iron brake discs is a real picnic! When are you guys going to learn. What a bunch of snobs. I have no issues with the guys in the cars, only the ones in the seats watching it.

5. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Most toyotas are still built in Japan aren't they? Do you really think if Ferrari or anyone else for that matter, called and asked about running thier cars, that rule wouldn't get thrown out so fast it would make your head spin? Nascar may be the most fan friendly of all motorsports but they are also one of if not the smartest businesswise and they know that luring more manufacturers into the sport is the name of the game. To lure one as high profile as Ferrari, Maserati, Lambo, etc would be a worldwide coup and a stupid little rule like that would not stop them. That being said it will probably never happen. Ferrari doesn't seem to have a problem selling cars here or anywhere so they really don't need to market thier cars as other car companies do. If they were to enter NASCAR i'd be worried about thier financial status.

6. njn63

njn63 Rookie

Nov 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You forget though, NASCAR has made a history of running manufacturers out of the series. Look up Dodge's love/hate relationship with NASCAR once, it's pretty amusing. To think NASCAR would just change a rule to let Ferrari in is kinda jumping to a conclusion i'd say because they already make teams go through hell and back to get in. You can make a motor that is completely 100% legal according to the rule book and they can still reject it and you'll have to start over. And even after it gets approved, they might change the rules and you'll have to scrap your entire engine program (Dodge, again, has experience in this).

And to the guy that said it's in the NASCAR rule book that the car has to be produced in the US, where did you get a copy of the NASCAR rule book? I've heard from numerous sources that they're very tight about who they give it to and i was actually looking for one not too long ago and couldn't find it.

7. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Yeah but that's Dodge. Ferrari would be a different thing altogether, the amount of money both sides could make worldwide would be staggering so concessions would be made no question. I'm also curious as to where he read that too, I don't rememeber hearing that anything like that was in the rulebook at all.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #58 Gatorrari, Nov 22, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In a way, it already has happened. In 1990, Ferrari of Los Gatos sponsored a Lumina at the Phoenix and (probably) Sonoma races. Brent Kaeding ran the car at Phoenix but there is no record of a qualification at Sonoma.

For some reason, Phil Parsons' name is on the decal sheet that is available to model builders. And apparently the discrepancy in car number between the roof and the doors is correct; that's the way the car ran.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Interesting!

10. NVPhotoman007

NVPhotoman007 Formula 3

Aug 9, 2004
    ASU_Acob Notar Lf.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    the car has to be made in the USA or 90% or something put together

thats why toyota is in.

11. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    NO! Toyota now has manufacturing plants all over the world. Toyota has manufacturing or assembly plants in the United States, Australia, Canada, Indonesia, Poland, South Africa, Turkey, the United Kingdom, France, Brazil, and more recently India, Argentina and Czech Republic. Toyota also builds and sells cars in China in a joint venture with Tianjin Xiali. Especially in the U.S.. They currently produce over one million cars here annualy. One of the things they learned during their deep Recession/Stagflation of the 1990s was that they could be hit hard by a rapid change in the exchange rate. They also learned that by building plants here and employing American works not only to their financial benefit (it removes the exchange rate equation) but also gives them clout when lobbying the Government.
    No.
    NASCAR has no need or use for any foreign manufacturer. It would be no coup. It's still not a given that Toyota will be allowed to race in the premier series. NASCAR is and always has been an American series. There is no need or want by either the organization or the fans for anything other than American cars. It's the fastest growing sport in America today. Conceivably in the next 20 to 30 years it could over turn both basketball and baseball in popularity and rival Football. As I said Toyota isn't entering the series to give a big F-YOU, they're entering to be participants in a purely American form of the sport. There's a big difference there. And if they are allowed in the premier series then THAT would be a coup.
    I'm in 100% agreement with you here.

12. The K Reloaded

The K Reloaded Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Honestly of all the foreign manufacturers, I'd rather see Mercedes Benz or BMW in there but overall there really is no point as Senna mentions.

13. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    You got it. There are Toyo plants in the US which lets them abide by that rule. And no way would NASCAR break that rule for a foreign car company. Would never happen...

14. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    True dat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam

According to Jeff Gordon's book, Tony Stewert came from sprint cars just like Gordon did. I think that's a rougher form of racing than NASCAR. When those guys touch wheels all kinds of things happen. The speed is not there, but it's got the intensity. While NACAR is, according to my wife, Smack-down racing, sprints are actually the toughest.

Bob Wassam

16. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Thanks, Im only 16 but I love racing no matter if it goes around in circles or not. These people act like driving a 3000+ lb car with over 750 horse. I know theres some very impressive drivers on here but driving on a almost 1 and a half ton car at on a banked turn is crazy and very impressive. My dad did track time at Michigan Speedway and ill tel you waht its crazy! Going 160 mph around a track like that it must be a rush. The dirt racing is over 100mph on the straights and thats on a 1/2mile! Each lap the rough spots could be turned smooth and the smooth coould be rough because it is dirt and doesnt have a defianate shape when cars drive over it.

http://www.eldoraspeedway.com/ heres a link to one of the best dirt tracks in the country its owned by tony stewart

17. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I'm sure knocking around at 100mph in those is much more intense than 180 on a smooth oval.

18. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

If NASCAR wanted to go global and they wanted Ferrari, BMW, Merc, etc to have a team, rules would be changed, bottom line. It's up to them how far they wanna go not for us sitting here. NASCAR would do well if they wanted to go global. All of us euroracing snobs (myself included) would have to eat a nice big crap-burger if they did. They'd take over in short order. Now let's hope it doesn't come to that.

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Toyota is indeed in. They have factories all over the US including California,
    Kentucky and Alabama (to name a few).

Toyota is also ready to spend $1B on their NASCAR program which dont hurt matters any.

BHW

20. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Jeez how much money do they have? Between what they spend on F1 and now ready to spend on Nascar..................NASCAR knows it's good for business to get more manufacturers invovled no matter where they are from. If Toyota does well, Honda and several others will follow

21. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    My apologies if this was already mentioned, I did not feel like reading all 4 pages in this thread.

Ferrari DOES indeed have connections to NASCAR, current and past.

Piero Ferrari, Enzo's son, owns a company (HPE) that builds high performance engines, mostly for Ducati. The story is that one NASCAR Chevrolet team actually has there engines tested, or built, by HPE. Maybe that's why Chevy's do so well in NASCAR. Naysayers, Google this to confirm.

Also, years ago, there was a Ferrari red NASCAR vehicle, I believe a Chevrolet, that was sponsored by a regional Ferrari dealership, and it sported the familiar yellow Ferrari lettering on its quarter panel.

But as for Ferrari building a car that would conform to the NASCAR rules, that will happen when some airline offers $99 round trip tickets to the Moon.

22. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Hell i know the engine builder for dei. The engines arent built but parts supplied. they have some one at the team headquarters who builds the engines. http://www.italiaspeed.com/2005/motorsport/others/01/hpe/0701.html
    If you look at this those cars arent nascar. so maybe the supply parts but not build the engines

23. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    if they did that then many of the fans would get mad and rebel ''cause there caint be no stupid eye-tal-yen cars in this here racin' series, and i caint shave a prancin' horse into my back hair!''

24. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Wow are you 12, have you even driven a car or have your licenses? Im sure a couple nascar drivers even own a couple Ferraris! Some could even be own this forum. You make it seem like all nascar drivers fans are stupid, I know many Doctors and other very succesful people that watch and go to the races. Im sure you cant handel a 800hp car.

25. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    cool down. I WAS JOKING. i have nothing agaist nascar fans, and even have friends that are fans. i was talking about some of those people, and you know who im talking about.