Honda will not make new NSX | FerrariChat

Honda will not make new NSX

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by zjpj, Jun 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    ...according to Automobile magazine.

Too bad, as far as I'm concerned. The HSC prototype was really cool.

"With factions inside American Honda pushing instead for a $40,000 Porsche Boxster rival, support for a new NSX was further diminished."

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    it's a REALLY busy market segment. i'm not surprised they'd consider bailing on it. a $50K-something drop top sporty beastie makes a lot of sense. my understanding is that the S2000 has done very very well for them - a logical step up from that could be a fun car. if they're sharp, they could compete with the elise.

doody.

3. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The Elise got a Toyota engine. So I also see the logic for Honda to go after this segment.

I Haven't seen anything on NSXprime.com yet. Are they in Shock or did you guys get a scoop on this news?

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I just got the magazine in the mail today, and according to their title, they have a "world exclusive."

True, the NSX market is full, but so if the 40K-50K market: S2000, SLK, Boxster, Z4 etc. etc. etc.

5. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Am I the only one who sees this as an extreme loss for Honda? The 90k Honda is no more.. :(

6. artn

artn Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Actually, I don't think this is such a bad idea!

Maybe I am too in love with Porsche's GT3, but the new NSX would have to match some serious performance already out there for 80-100K if it were to be taken seriously, even when excluding large bore competitors such as the Viper... (I know, speed isn't everything but it sure sells). I don't think the market will be too receptive of a hybrid sportscar just yet (and not light!). A steel V-8 NSX as rumored? I guess price and performance would dictate demand (would sell great if <50K).

As with GM readying a 20K RWD roadster, I defiantely applaud the focus on lower priced sportscar offerings.
    I was thinking just the other day how Honda should take one of their FWD/4cyl drivetrain and make a cooler/better looking Toyota MR2 (fun RWD weekend car that is cheap to maintain and relatively cheap to buy.) They should position it below the S2000. (Call it a CRX!)

Also, as someone already chimed in, a harder edged car (like the Elise) would be nice... As nice as the Z4 and 350Zs are, I think there's room for more light(er) weight sportcars out there. In my dream, Honda will make a US street legal version of a Lotus Super 7. Heck, I'd even take a modern Austin Healy Sprite! (light and cheap, and sporting, not necessarily fast)

-art

7. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I hope the HSC comes out and this is not true. However, it is going to have to have A LOT more power than the 290HP the current car has to be taken seriously. I would say at least 450HP. If they cannot do that, then I say don't bother making it.

8. artn

artn Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Speaking of Hybrids and HP, I remember reading somewhere that Lexus was thinking about competing with M5/AMG type cars by putting out a "600 HP" sedan, 400hp gas engine + 200hp from motors.

A 600 HP HSC sounds pretty nice!

Still, I can't see how they can get around the whole weight issue with the hybrid drive used on the HSC. If Honda could lash together 2 S2000 motors to get a high revving 450hp+ V-8 for a nice price and total weight, I think it would sell. Of course, the HSC must have less HP than competitors to maintain it's "underdog" status (hehe).

-art

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, awesome...! Go, Porsche...!!!

10. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    wow.. what a stupid comment. What do you drive again?

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Um... A 1997 Chrysler Sebring... Am i unwarranted to voice my opinion because i drive a "lowly" Sebring...? Have you ever driven a Boxster...?

12. sshorty

sshorty Karting

May 23, 2004
    Independence, KY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is what they should do:

Keep making a "supercar" like they have been, but bring in the new technology like they did back in the early 90's. Remember, when that car first came out, it was a leader in some of the technology it had, but they let the car go to waste when they stopped doing new research using that car.

The new NSX should be a lightweight mid engined, high compression, small displacement V-8 with 4 cams and a high red-line. Something to compete with the Ferrari 360 and keep it in the $75k-$90 price range. Make it very daily driveable like the car they sell now. Also offer a high performance package (ie: suspension, exhaust and other bs to make the car a weekend track car as well). This would keep them in that segment and keep their image as a high performance car company.

As far as a lower priced car, I do agree they should make a car between the S2000 and the NSX, but it needs to be a "Honda" type of performance car. Meaning, high revving, lightweight and very reliable. This car should have a V-6 with 4 cams, again with higher compression and a high red line. This car should be either convertable only or both coupe and droptop....2 passenger, and be in the $38-$50k price range. Maybe with two models, a tamer softer sprung "luxury" model and a "sports" model. This would keep it in all the basic "sports car" segments that a Honda based product should be in.

just my .02, well more lik .06. lol

13. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hello! The thread is about Honda NOT building a new NSX, not what it may be or what we hope it to be. It is NOT to be. The NSX guys will never except the fact that the NSX will die with sub 300 hp numbers....

14. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Shorty said"This is what they should do:

Keep making a "supercar" like they have been"

They have NEVER made a supercar.They made a nice exotic looking performance car for a couple of years.

15. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    That exotic look performance car has been in production for over 13 years-I would say that is more than a few. Amazingly, the NSX-R is still competitve on the track with much newer cars, such as the ferrari 360.

Best Motoring lap times:
    1. Murchilargo 1'35"73
    2. Gallardo 1'36"15
    3. NSX-R 1'36"79
    4. M3 CSL 1'40"50
    5. 911 Turbo 1'40"85
    6. Ferrari 360M 1'42"22

16. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    What I meant by a "few" is that it looked exotic for a few.After that it looked pedestrian,or "souless" if you will.It was outdated 10 years ago.Isnt that a modified NSX-R by the way?

17. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thats not saying much, considering you could out-run a 360 in a Corvette...for a little bit.

18. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA
    What does that mean? Whether you can take a cheap car and mod it for better performance or not is meaningless in this case. The point is can the NSX still hang with it's peer group in stock trim and the answer is a qualified yes.

The Viper is quicker, but an NSX will hang with it *fairly* well in the twisties, the 911 NA is dead even in every way and the Ferraris are all a lot more expensive. The worst competition, in my mind, for the NSX is the 911GT3. Thats the car that is the clearest signal Honda needs to catch up. It's also brand new.

You can take the "yeah, but a modded Vette, Mustang, Supra, blah blah blah" argument and apply it to anything. It's a moot point for this particular topic.

19. Silver99

Silver99 Rookie
    BANNED

May 22, 2004
    The pending base C6 Vette will crush a brand new $88k NSX in every category under the sun, and the upcoming 500HP C6 Z06 is so far beyond the NSX's horizon that it's in true supercar territory.

A C5 Vette is a dead heat, as is a 911 C2, I should know as I own a 99 NSX-T and have raced plenty of both. A current M3 is also more than competitive, it would come down to the driver with all three. The mythical NSX-R means nothing to me since I can't buy it in the United States, so its superhuman tales, mostly embellished by NSXers via the Internet (Motoring time of 7:56 at the ring...no that R wasn't modified or on slicks, not at all. LOL wake up!) have no pull on my rating for the US car.

In my mind the NSX is a great little grocery getter, a nice runabout that starts everytime you twist the key. It's fun for a while but it does get old fast explaining over and over to people "no it's not a Ferrari, it's an Acura" and having their smiles turn to quizzical expressions of confusion.

It also gets old having even just a lightly modded Evo VIII or STi or any current AMG model or what seems like about 100 other f-ing cars pull up next to you and make you sweat the outcome of the subsequent stop light drag race. This car needed about a hundred more HP than it has about a half decade ago, let alone now in this era of 400HP BMWs and Mercedes.

Great in its first few years, unrivaled until the F355 debuted, and irrelevant pretty much ever since, I can't wait to get out of it in favor of something Italian with 500HP+. Hopefully by the end of the year if all continues as it has thus far....say it with me kids:

M-U-R-C-I-E-L-A-G-O.

:)

PS - Carbon, with all this being said the fastest stock Boxster S is easy prey for just about any NSX, even the dog-slow old ones with 270HP and 5-speed gearboxes can chew them up. Hell a lowball S2000 can hang with a Boxster S for the most part...Porsche needs a serious powerplant upgrade in that thing.

20. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    "Our sources tell us, however, that after looking again at the design and the business case surrounding a new NSX, Honda has decided to pass, at least for now."

"But with Honda reportedly having had trouble getting the HSC design to gel, the crunch came in April when, at a top-level presentation, principal decision makers from Japan and the United States couldn't agree that the HSC-based coupe had the right stuff to succeed. Honda is turning its attention to a new luxury coupe instead."

"For enthusiasts, it's a worrisome sign. First the CRX disappeared and then the Prelud. There might not be another S2000 and now the NSX has effectively been read its last rites."

21. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, and Yes.

22. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I think if Honda wants to keep the NSX a so called "exotic supercar", it needs to perform a little better. It has a good chassis, being all aluminum, and its fast, but for $80-100k, it cant hang with a Z06 which runs about $50-55k. And I think that that should show somebody one thing, power and torque beat weight anyday. If the NSX had around 350HP, given the current engine, thats 60 more horsepower. Given the same torque band, it should have around 300LB-FT. With a redline of 8000RPM, and maybe a 3000LB curb weight, that would be a nice "exotic supercar."

23. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    give it 350-400 HP, lighweight, and have it compete with the 997 carrera S, at least they don't have a targa coming, so that would be unique...also, even though japanese cars have shunned them lately, don't forget that power wise, if it had a stunning body, a super or turbo could put it right there...how about one car at...360 HP, the other one with an equally high rpm valve timed turbo unit (think F40, but with some displacement to make some low end) and your about right...Porsche has turned a profit with the 2 in 1 strategy...

24. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have never met, chatted or emailed Carbon but just because you have an NSX does not mean crap. Look at this and tell me why Honda keeps making this overrated beer can.

General Pricing
    TL Sedan w/ 6-Spd MT NSX 3.2 MT
    Base Retail Price (MSRP) $32,600 $89,000
    Base Invoice Price $29,755 $79,213
    Engines & Power
    Standard Engine 3.2L 270 hp V6 3.2L 290 hp V6
    Transmissions
    6-Speed Manual 6-Speed Manual
    Fuel Economy
    City (mpg) 20 17
    Highway (mpg) 30 24
    Comfort & Convenience
    Sunroof Std. N/A
    Air Conditioning Std. Std.
    Power Windows Std. Std.
    Power Door Locks Std. Std.
    Leather Seats Std. Std.
    Power Seats Std. Std.
    Max. Seating 5 2
    Entertainment
    Cassette Player Std. Std.
    CD Player Std. Std.
    Safety
    Airbags Driver/Psngr/Side Driver/Psngr
    ABS Brakes Std. Std.
    Traction Control Std. Std.
    Stability Control Std. N/A

So for a mere $57,000 more you can carry less people and still look like a chump.

Cheers

25. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    LOL! Looks like you struck a nerve with copy-and-paste Paul, too!