Historical Registration in california benefits? | FerrariChat

Historical Registration in california benefits?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Mar 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone had ever registered their car as a classic here?
    I know once u have registered it as such you should not use the car aside historical event and it doesn’t exempt you from smog. So what’s the benefit? Do u save money on the registration fees? Anyone with experience?
    Can u register as classic even if the car had first a regular registration.
    Let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    Yes. I successfully registered my FCars as a historic vehicle. Registration is a little cheaper. Other than that, no benefit whatsoever.

Once you register it as a historic, then you can basically only use it for car events. So I take mine to Cars & Coffee and similar events.

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Good to know. I was thinking it gets a good discount on the TR registration as a perk!

paulchua likes this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    +They are just really cool looking in my opinion!
    :)

5. Natkingcolebasket69

I dont think i recall seeing one!!
    Did you get a good discount on the registration?

paulchua likes this.
  6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Two of my classics (high dollar valued cars) are registered as Historic Vehicles. Both were first registered with regular plates. Since they're rarely driven (mostly for car events with an occasional jaunt to keep things `in order'), switching saved me a total of about $11k/year in reg fees (because of their high value). So rather than paying $4-7k per year each, the historic plates cost me $92 for each historic plate car. Was a no-brainer for my situation!

paulchua and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

I guess i will do that. TR is like $1500 a year not crazy expensive but still! All i do is go to occasional car shows and a drive with other older vehicles at times.

paulchua likes this.
  8. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    That $92 per car is the historic plate renewal cost. I think it was a little higher (maybe under $150ea) when I first switched over from regular plates to the historic plate. The downside of historic plates is that the deductible VLF is only $2...;)

paulchua likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yes huge - there is this thread (some folks didn't believe the amount the price went down) from $730 to $127

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    $1100= definitely do it then my friend. $1,100 to ~$120ish - totally worth it!

11. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    According to the DMV, Cars with historical plate can only be drive to and from any event that has something to do with cars ie, C&C, Car parade, Concourses, or even a small group drive, even if you drive in a none car related event, most cops, if not all, doesn’t know what the rules for Historical plates. I have been followed by an CHP and a regular city police many time during a drive on mid day and mid week and never gotten pulled over, and even if they do, I’ll just simply tell them that I’m on my way to shop to get something fix as there’s a car show coming up this weekend, no big deal. And as for a Smog, few years ago, not sure what year but cars that applied for the historical plate were excerpt from smog test but now, I think they have learned the loophole and changed it.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.