Hemmings 400 Market Watch | FerrariChat

Hemmings 400 Market Watch

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Daytona Drew, Mar 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daytona Drew

Daytona Drew Karting

Feb 12, 2007
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #1 Daytona Drew, Mar 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This month's edition of Hemmings Motor News examines the Ferrari 400 market. For those of you wanting to jump into the Ferrari world on a budget, you may be in luck. 400s have been located in classifieds in okay shape for around $20,000. The market high is just $40,000. Hemmings didn't have much good to say about the 400 and suggested avoiding the car as a financial venture. I'm sure we can agree that the money factor can be tossed out if you are pursuing the car as a labor of love--market watchers be damned.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Don't you find it interesting that in the early 90's according to Hemmings you would have paid over $100,000 for a 400i.

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The previous owner of my car told me that he was offered $110K for it in 1990. He had paid $72K for it in 1988 and so I don't know why he didn't take it. It wasn't as if he drove it much, he had a bunch of other cars and only put 4,000 miles on it in the 10 years that he owned it until 1998. Waiting 8 years to sell it to me cost him more than $80K!

In the late 80's I was completely convinced that the rapidly escalating Ferrari prices meant that I would never get to own one. After the crash, in which many models dropped by 75% in value, things started to look better! I was finally able to realize my dream in 1998.

John

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yep, the market is pretty strange right now. TR's, Mondi's, and Daytona's are dropping yet 308's, GT4's, and 400i's are up. I don't know the market on other models. Pretty weird.

Who would have thought you could buy a nice Ferrari convert (Mondi 3.2 & QV) all day long for under $25k. Sheesh doesn't a mazda miata cost more than that?
    I've seen a bunch of TR's out there in the high 40's. Even with the needed engine out belt service it seems like a deal.

GT4's are up over 30% in just the past year. Looks to me like 308's and 400i's are up between 10 and 20%.

It all makes perfect sense when we're talking about the lower priced end of the market. Cars in the 20's just won't stay there because people can write a check for those. The one car that doesn't follow that pattern is the Mondi. I shopped for about 3 months. The long legged blonde woman that runs my house thought she wanted one, "If Christy Brinkly can figure out how to drive one then I sure can." I couldn't believe how cheap really nice ones were. She changed her mind, so I picked up something for me.

Sorry for rambling.

5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    330 2+2 Series 2s are climbing rapidly :)

Art S.

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't know much about them but I'm learning.
    ......just enough about them to say something stupid.

7. j3studio

j3studio Karting

May 2, 2006
    Bryn Mawr, PA
    Full Name:
    John Mulhern III
    I do agree - I think they are very handsome cars ...

8. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Dave,

They are the grandfather of your car. Less advanced chassis, same horsepower, no emissions control, much lighter - generally a whole lot of fun. That said, I'd love to have a 365/400/412 series to keep it company.

Regards,

Art S.