Help with Mondial QV air intake damage | FerrariChat

Help with Mondial QV air intake damage

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by rjp80s, Jan 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rjp80s

rjp80s Rookie

Jan 24, 2017
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Rick Pleczko
    Hi,
    I'm driving my 84 QV and hear a 'bump' noise as if I'd run over something - but I hadn't. I stop and open the engine compartment and I see the damage to the air intake in the attached pictures. The car continues to run fine.

Took the car to my local Ferrari mechanic, he seems to think that the mount for the air intake vibrated off and did the damage. I'm not sure that he's worked on many Mondial's though.

So, I'd really appreciate any help regarding:
    1) what you think could have caused the damage, and is there anything obviously missing in the attached images
    2) where can I get a replacement air intake

Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    somebody already modified your air intake....the "glass" makes that quite evident

you could just reglass or find a used air intake

3. rjp80s

rjp80s Rookie

Jan 24, 2017
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Rick Pleczko
    Thanks for the feedback. I thought it looked like it had been glassed in. I'll try to find a used replacement. I'm still wondering what did the damage though.

4. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
  5. rjp80s

rjp80s Rookie

Jan 24, 2017
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Rick Pleczko
  6. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Rick can you open your air filter and look if a piece of the air intake whas smashed inside...I hope there is an air filter ! Otherwhise a piece could passe the flow metering unit and enter the engine.
    Guido
    PS : if you have any question about the installation of that new fuseboard, dont hesitat to ask me ! You can mail me at :
    [email protected]

7. rjp80s

rjp80s Rookie

Jan 24, 2017
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Rick Pleczko
    Thanks very much Guido. I'll double to make sure there's nothing in the air filter. The engine seems to have been running fine, so hopefully not. Looking forward to receiving the board.
    Cheers, Rick