help! which is cylinder #1 and so on | FerrariChat

help! which is cylinder #1 and so on

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Fritz Ficke, Jan 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    The title says it all, Nothing is matching up on the cap, wires etc. I have a photo copy of a manual and can not find the cylinder numbering seqence, and I can not find any marking on the engine. Thanks in advance, Fritz

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #1 is right front counting to the back at #6. The left rear is #7 counting to the front at #12. "U" pattern RF to LF.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    What year/model F?

(Brian gave the general rule, But) If it's a 400-something, the cylinder numbering and firing order is given in the OM ("ignition" sub-section of Section 3), but I'm having a flashback that the firing order given is wrong (but I can't find the previous discussion).

Look at the wiring diagram in the back of the OM -- you should be able to read the numbers shown on the distributor cap (and I'd trust the wiring diagram more than the text in the OM).

4. jgcferrari

jgcferrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 21, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jose
    Yes I also remeber that the firing order is given wrong I will find out later and post it for you.

5. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    1982 400I
    Thanks for the quik response, I am right in the middle of this. (retoruque heads and valve check /adjust)
    Brain The wires are marked as you said, #1 being right front then the u pattern back with #12 left front.
    The firing order I have in my book for the 400I is 1-7-5-11-3-9-6-12-2-8-4-10 which does not match the cap, which as I understand are boxer caps with a diffrent firing order, but the exsting placement of the wires does not match the cap are the book order.
    This is my car and we have snow here in Tucson, very unusal and it has allowed me to play with the car. (I work out side).

6. timthetooth

timthetooth Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    Hi, I assume you have a single distributer.
    The firing order you give is correct, however the distributer has two rotor arms one at 180 degrees behind the other.
    Once you know which plug is number one cylinder on the cap, going clockwise from there the order is 1-12-5-8-3-10-6-7-2-11-4-9 on the distributor.
    You can find number one plug on the cap by turning the engine over until number one piston is at TDC on the firing stroke, marked PM 1-6 on the fly wheel, and the cam alignment marks match up with their bearing caps. Then the rotor arm should line up with a mark on the distributor body, and the aligned contact inside the cap is where you plug in number one lead.
    You could just try looking for the mark on the distributor body first, but that assumes everything was set up correctly to start with.
    Have fun!

7. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Tim, THANK YOU !!!, I owe you a beer.
    Now it makes since the plug wires on the cap are exzactly what you wrote, the two rotor arms I did not take into consideration.
    I want to thank every body for their help, Now I will get back to work