Help needed with warm up injector | FerrariChat

Help needed with warm up injector

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 180 Out, Jun 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #1 180 Out, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Today I was checking the action on the passenger side warm up injector on my '83 400i. Unlike the K-Jet's port injectors, the warm up injectors are solenoid actuated. They get their voltage from a water temperature sensor, which is supposed to send a decreasing amount of voltage to the injector as the water temp goes up. I hooked up a volt meter to the connector on the passenger side and started the engine. The reading on the volt meter was in the 19.5 range. As the engine warmed up, it did not change.

Here are some pix of my volt meter hookup to the Bosch connector (the injector itself has a blue connector and is in the upper left corner, while the Bosch connector has a short bit of black speaker wire jammed into it and is sitting next to the "Benditalia" vacuum device), the water temp gauge at 70* C, and the volt meter still showing about 19.4 volts:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #2 180 Out, Jun 10, 2012
  3. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #3 180 Out, Jun 10, 2012
  4. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #4 180 Out, Jun 10, 2012
    Now we come to my question. I traced the wiring for the passenger side warm up injector -- without dismantling the sheathing of course. The harness runs from the injector to the front of the engine, then across the front, then toward the back on the driver side. The harness picks up the connector to the driver side warm up injector as well. Then it loops around the back of the engine, and part of the harness terminates at the two devices in the photo below. They are located at the very rear of the valley between the two cylinder banks. My photo was taken from the passenger side. First question: what are these two devices? Second question -- and the really big one -- if one of them is the water temp sensor, and if there is only one sensor for both warm up injectors, why am I getting different voltages to each sensor with a warmed up engine?

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Your result seems impossible (since an alternator should never produce ~19V DC). The "BAT" symbol in your multimeter display indicates your meter's battery needs replacing -- so you might be getting crazy results. I'd suggest that you replace the meter's battery and remeasure (and first try measuring the car's battery with the meter just to confirm the meter gives the ~12V result with the engine not running and maybe ~14V with the engine running).

Also, your operational description is a little off. When the coolant is very cold AND the starter motor is cranking is the only time that you should get +12V for a second or two at the cold start injector connector. When the engine is running (i.e., the starter motor is not cranking), you should measure 0V at both cold start injector connectors -- even if the coolant is cold.

6. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #6 180 Out, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
    Thank you for straightening me out there Steve. I will put some new batteries in my multimeter and try again. What you see here is the intersection between two things I don't understand very well: fuel injection and electricity.

Edit: OK, I'm back. This time without photos, and with the results similar but the numbers different. I put a new 9v battery in my multimeter. I tested it by checking the battery voltage with the engine off and it showed about 12 volts. I the hooked up the multimeter to the Bosch connector for the passenger side warm up injector and, with the key in run position but the starter not cranking, I got about 10.5 volts. With the starter cranking it was about the same. With the engine running it was about 11.5 volts.

I tried the driver side. With the key in run position but the starter not cranking I got 0 volts. With the starter cranking I got 0.03 volts. With the engine running I got the same. (On this 80* F day the water temp was still warm. After less than three minutes with the engine running it was at 60* C. So the driver side Bosch connector got little to no voltage under all circumstances.)

I take it that the passenger side injector is getting powered up when it's not supposed to be. So I still have the same question: why is the passenger side malfunctioning when the driver side is OK? Also, where is the temperature sending unit for this system?

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
    Yes, this is definitely wrong, and must be corrected.

This does not concern me yet, and may be OK. The coolant needs to be be fairly cold (like less than 35 deg C) for the cold start injectors to squirt so unless you waited overnight for things to completely cool off, you really can't confirm/deny this test.

I get to use the word "impossible" twice in one thread ;). Seriously, the two cold start injectors are run by the same (single) relay S so they should be doing the exact same thing. About the only thing that I can think of is that you've got the wrong 2-pin plug in the wiring harness connected to the passenger side cold start injector. There are many other (of the same style) 2-pin plugs used for the electric heaters built into the AAVs and WURs -- these plugs should have a constant +12V whenever the fuel pumps are running.

The first thing to do is to look at the wire insulation colors on the 2-pin connectors going to the cold start injectors -- the US driver's side should have two CB (orange-white) wires and one N (black) wire; the US passenger's side should have one CB (orange-white) wire and two N (black) wires;

If your (presently used) passenger side cold start injector connector has either one P (beige) wire and one N (black) wire (which is for the heater in the passenger side WUR) or two P (beige) wires and two N (black) wires (which is for the heater in the passenger side AAV), you got the connectors switched around. I really hope that this is the problem, otherwise, someone would've had to have made some serious (and unknown) wiring changes to get the behavior that you report.

A minor side note is that these other 2-pin connectors for the AAV and WUR heaters should only go +12V when the fuel pumps are running -- since you report that you get +12V with the key "on" but the engine not running, this would occur only if your fuel pumps also ran with the key "on" but the engine not running -- do they?

The (single) thing that controls the operation of both cold start injectors is the thermo-time switch -- item 38 (PN 113980) in this SPC page:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=3282

The food chain is:

When the thermo-time switch is closed (cold), the same +12V that goes to engage the starter solenoid (i.e., key in Pos III) is conducted by the thermo-time switch to close relay S. When relay S is closed, this puts +12V (simultaneously) on both cold start injectors, which open, and squirt fuel, until either the thermo-time switch opens (it also has an internal electric heater) or you stop cranking the starter motor.

8. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #8 180 Out, Jun 11, 2012
    Thanks for the long reply Steve! I know this took a lot of time to type up, and I'm really grateful.

Naturally I had to go out and check the connections to these warm up injectors right away, and take some pictures. The first picture shows the thing that I'm calling the warm up injector on the passenger side. I'm holding the camera down low over the engine and pointing from front to rear. This *is* the warm up injector, isn't it?

The next picture shows the wires leading to the Bosch connector at the passenger side warm up injector. The sheathing was already cut. There are just two wires: beige and black.

The next picture two pictures show the warm up injector on the driver side, again pointing the camera from front to rear. Again, we've got just two connectors and they're beige and black.

The next picture shows a connector at the very back on the passenger side. Again we have two wires, beige and black. The reason I'm including this picture is to ask, is this the auxiliary air valve (AAV)?

The final picture shows a connector at the base of the passenger side housing for the airflow sensor plate. I assume this is the fuel pump cut off switch, for when the key is in "run" but the engine isn't running. My car as it sits has no Bosch connector attached to this blue connector on the passenger side. It does have a connector to the counterpart on the driver side, which can be seen in the third photo in this post. Is this OK, not to have a connector on the switch on the passenger side?

That's probably one question too many. What I'm really wondering, now that all I see are beige + black wires everywhere I look, is if I'm even correct to be thinking these devices are the warm up injectors. Next question is, where should I look for the Bosch connector with the orange-white and two black wires? Is this car's wiring totally messed up, or is it me?

9. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes it's ok to only have one "safety switch" connected = that is how they came originally.
    The one swtich controls a relay that cuts off power to both fuel pump relays.
    M

10. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I recently spent a lot time trying to work out why my cold start injectors were not working on my manual RHD 412.
    Like you I spent ages tracing the wiring back to the main fuse box (with the help of the 412 circuit wiring book, testing the cold start thermo switch etc etc.). The fault finding then led me to the auxiliary fuse box located in the glove box. Much to my surprise there was no relay plugged in, instead there was a factory sticker covering the empty relay "socket" saying that it was for 412 Automatic's only. That explained why there was no power in the cold start system.......
    My point is that the 412 manual doesn't use/need the cold start circuit at all, so how important is it really ? ( I know yours is a 400A )

M

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #11 Steve Magnusson, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
    Yes, but it is more often referred to as the "cold start injector" or the "auxillary starting assembly" in the F documentation (because it mostly operates during cold starting, not during engine running to warm-up -- unless it's really, really cold, and you blip the throttle).

This looks wrong to me based on the beige color and the non-black wire having no white stripe (unfortunately, "beige" can often appear brownish or orange too). The schematic shows two black wires there, but having only one black wire is OK (they may have put the junction for the second black ground wire somewhere inside the harness and just show it symbolically on the schematic at the connector).

The color of the non-black wire here looks a little more "orange" to me (which is good), but you really need to expose more wire length to see if you can see any evidence of a white stripe too. The reference that I'm using is the schematic in your 250/82 OM so it's always possible that they did something diabolical like substitute C (orange) for CB (orange-white). My hope would be that at least "beige" and "orange" (however they each appear) are consistent throught your car so comparing them to each other may help discern who's who.

Yes, that's the AAV.

Yes, this is OK/stock. As Michael indicated, they only use one of the safety switches to control the fuel pumps, but you really didn't answer my question -- (even though the safety switch seems correctly connected) do your fuel pumps run with the key "on" and the engine not running?
    The wire colors here should be ZB (purple-white) and N (black) per your OM schematic.

I'd also look at the wire colors at the 2-pin connectors on WURs just to get a complete color catalog of the wires in all the 2-pin connectors. As I indicated, the difference between orange and beige may be very slight (and the color is more important than the number of wires).
    Also, with the engine running/idling, you could unplug and measure the voltages at all of the AAV, WUR and cold start injector 2-pin connectors -- if this were correct, the result should be:

both cold start injectors = 0V
    both WUR heaters = +12V
    both AAV heaters = +12V

might help sort things out...

Having that constant +12V on the passenger cold start injector is a flaw that can't be ignored IMO (and, of course, you'll have to leave it unplugged until fixed). (To allow myself a joke) Can't one argue that the wiring of any 70s-80s F was totally messed up even when it left the factory new? ;)

No worries. Although I know it's probably a frustration for you, for me, it's nice to discuss/investigate a new problem that we haven't gone over many time before.

12. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Good eye Steve!

1.) For starters, I believe the cold start injectors only squirt for a brief moment when the key is switched to the 'start' position...I don't think they continually squirt while the starter is cranking if you lay on the starter for a long period of time. I don't think it operates like a warm up injector (where it would continually squirt until the engine warms up), this is where the function of the WUR (warm up regulator) kicks in. I think this is one of the reasons why when you stop cranking, the OM instructs you to turn the key to the 'off' position, then turn back on to the 'start' position. Oh by the way, with the battery disconnected, I tried something. I turned the key to the 'start' position, then back to the 'on' position, then tried to turn it to the 'start' position again without returning the key to the 'off' position as instructed in the OM &...it wouldn't turn to the 'start' position. So I think there is a mechanism inside the lock that prevents you from doing so & the OM instruction is a reinforcement.

As a side note: I've noticed on u-tube vids. & such that when owners crank their injected V-12's, they'll sit there & crank & crank until it starts. I have found that just cranking the engine over for about 2 seconds, then stop & wait for about 4-5 seconds, then crank again that the engine fires right up. For a couple of reasons I'm thinking that 1.) the fuel evaporates during the 4-5 seconds that it is sitting & 2.) on the second crank, the cylinders get another squirt from the cold start injector. I have found this to work beautifully on all injected cars, not just Ferrari's.

2.) It's interesting to hear that your car has the fuel pump relay connector hooked up to the passenger side air mass meter. I have only seen them hooked up to the driver's side (on a LHD cars), only one side has a connector hooked up to the air mass meter to sense air moving past the plate, which then activates the fuel pumps.

3.) The connectors that connect to the cold start injectors are the same type as the ones to the aux. air valves, the WUR's, & the 'one' air mass meter. The wires attached to each individual connector is of a specific length that it would be difficult to hook one connector to the wrong device. The only place this could happen is on the side the air mass connector is located. It is of similar length as the cold start injector (on that one side) & it could accidentally be switched. The air mass meter connector is brown where as the rest of the connectors are black. Yours are hooked up correctly so that's not it (unfortunately, or it could be a quick fix).

13. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #13 180 Out, Jun 11, 2012
    Thanks to all for the replies.

The references to "OM" reminded me that, although I do not have the original Owner's Manual to my car, I do have a pdf I snagged from the Ferrari Club 400 -- http://www.f400club.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=93 -- and I remember it has a schematic. I made some screen caps, see below, and now I have a better idea of how to chase this problem:

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #14 Steve Magnusson, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
    You can download a copy of the 400i 250/82 OM here for your records:

http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/Manuals_Owners.htm

(That pdf that you have is the relevant electrical stuff from 250/82, but material in Section 3, regarding the injection system, would be useful for you too IMO.)

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #15 Steve Magnusson, Jun 11, 2012
    After having a closer (magnified) look at your photos, are you sure that this isn't a CB (orange-white) wire (wrongly) connected to your AAV?

16. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    I will take another look this evening, before sundown. The photos in my post from 10:25 PDT on June 10 were taken after dark with a flash. Color shift from (a) camera, (b) flash, and (c) the viewer's monitor can make the colors in these photos unreliable. Not to mention "patina" on the wires themselves.

That sure would be a tidy solution, to swap the AAV and injector connectors. On the other hand, my wiring harness is heat molded -- for want of a better term -- to hook up just the way it is, suggesting that these connections have been in place for a looooong time.

17. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Understood -- and it does seem unlikely that they could be swapped without sort of mis-installing of the entire harness.

One thing is that you sort of started this thread in the middle by giving a finding without giving a symptom -- was: A) your car working fine before, with the passenger side cold start injector plugged in, and then it started running badly so you investigated and found the (always) +12V on the cold start injector, B) the passenger side cold start injector has always been unplugged before, C) something else? More background please...

18. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #18 180 Out, Jun 12, 2012
    The back story is that, when I bought this car in February 2012, the seller had failed Smog Check II three times. Here are his results:

------------HC@15--HC@25--CO@15--CO@25--NO@15--NO@25 [=15 and 25 mph]

Max allowed--130-----103-----0.94-----0.74----1106-----936

01/07/2012---200------99-----1.24-----0.91----1332-----979
    02/03/2012---174------87-----1.32-----1.51-----100------12
    02/08/2012---184-----118-----2.09-----2.49-----126------36

Between the 1st and 2nd tests the seller got new catalytic converters installed to replace the ones that were on the car when he bought it in 2007. That caused a big drop in NOx and a slight improvement in HC. But CO got worse! Between the 2nd and 3rd tests he had some work done to the distributor. If I recall correctly the rotor was loose. Something was found loose and was tightened. This bumped the car into Gross Polluter status with respect to CO @ 25 mph. GP = 2.24% and the car tested at 2.49%.

At that point the seller had had enough and told me I could have the car for $15,000 but without a passing Smog Check II. I did it. On the way home, I stopped at a BMW shop and the friendly mechanic Mike put it on his 5-gas sniffer. He said the driver side checked good -- I didn't get a chance to see the numbers -- but he said the passenger side had a big problem. Below are some pictures of Mike and his 5-gas. HC and NOx readouts are ppm and CO, CO2 and O2 are percentages. The results are after he'd fiddled with the K-Jet's idle adjustment screw. He said he'd turned it full lean and the CO wouldn't come down.

So now I'm trying to troubleshoot the K-Jet and get my car to pass Smog Check II. Based on Mike's advice that the passenger side is the problem, I'm focusing on that side of the engine. I did a pressure test on Saturday. Primary pressure checked good, and control pressure started low and got higher over the course of about five minutes with the key in the "run" position and with the Bosch connector pulled from the shut-off sensor on the driver side, and checked good at the five minute point. I also repeated the control pressure test with the engine running and it checked good again.

So that brings us to yesterday, Sunday, and my checks of the cold start injector.

19. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #19 180 Out, Jun 12, 2012
    Now here's the funny part, from my observations this evening, Monday that is. First I checked on the colors of the wires running to the cold start injector and the wires running to the AAV. The first two pictures in this post show that I've definitely got beige and black at the injector, and I've got orange with white stripe at the AAV. According to the 1982 400i Owner's Manual, it should be a black and an "orange striped black" at the injector, and a beige and a black at the AAV.

The 3rd and 4th pictures show that I've disconnected the coil, so the engine won't run, and that I've hooked up my multi-meter to the connector from my AAV: the one that's got a black wire and an orange with a white stripe. The 5th picture shows the voltage with the key in the "run" position, but without cranking the starter: 0.00 volts. The 6th picture shows the voltage with the starter cranking: 8.08 volts. The 7th picture shows the voltage after about 3 to 5 seconds of cranking, with the starter still cranking. But the current has stopped and the voltage is 0.00 again.

According to you guys, this is exactly how the connector to the cold start injector should behave. But on this car this connector is, and as far as I can tell always has been, connected to the AAV.

20. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #20 180 Out, Jun 12, 2012
    OK, so what should I do next but swap the connectors to the AAV and the cold start injector? The first photo in this post shows the wires after I've pulled the harness out into the open and peeled back the flex tubing. I also removed about six inches of gooey electrician's tape. Something tells me that this tape wasn't factory installed. You can also see a nick in the insulation of the beige wire, at the bottom of the photo, unfortunately out of focus. That nick also doesn't look factory to me.

Here's what's funny. After I swap the connectors, the car doesn't want to run at all. I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from stalling. After a minute or two of this I shut it off and go back under the hood and reverse the connectors to the way they were: beige and black at the injector and orange with white stripe and black at the AAV. The car fires up and runs as good as ever.

With the engine running and starting to warm a bit I pull the Bosch connector off the injector and give it a voltage test with the engine running. The 2nd picture shows the reading: 12.38 volts. I also notice a drop in revs, about 200 or 300 I would guess. I put the connector back on the injector and pull the connector off the AAV. The 3rd picture shows the results: 0.19 volts. Actually the readout bounces around from 0.09 to 0.22 volts.

So what I conclude is that the passenger side K-Jet is tuned to run with (a) the AAV always on, because the heater never tells it to stop, and (b) the cold start injector also always on.

What do you guys think? Does this explain the Smog Check fails and the strange results on BMW Mike's 5-gas?

I ran out of time to fiddle with this any more tonight, but my next step will be to swap the connectors again, so the heater to the AAV is always on and the cold start injector is off, and give the idle adjustment screw maybe a full turn clockwise to enrichen the mixture, so the car will run without the cold start injector always on. Seriously, I might have to enrichen it even more. After I get it running smooth I'll apply the Colortune I bought, to try to dial in the mixture.

21. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Very strange.

On my car the the wires to the AAV are not as long as the wires to the cold start injector so it's impossible to swap them over.

I would look at the fuse panel and the connector between the panel and the wiring to see if the wires had been swapped. It's possible that someone in the past has done a repair to the connector (burnt out wires for the fuel pump is common ) and inadvertently mixed up the position of the circuit on the connector. That would account for the "as molded" fit of the wires in the engine bay, yet the unexpected electrical "behaviour".

I'm not sure this has been covered, but how is the other side wired up, and does it behave the same way ?

If the wires are reversed between the AAV & the cold start it's going to run rich on that side. I'm guessing this is why Mike ( the mechanic ) was able to lean it out and still get high readings. Tends to confirm that the cold start injector is running all the time.

M

22. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I might be missing something but it sounds like Mike leaned that side out all the way, did he leave the screw set to “all the way” lean? If so the cold start injector is probably supplying the required fuel for that bank to run. A potential problem with this is since the injector is at the back or the manifold the cylinders in the front could be running very lean which could cause some problems with the exhaust valves. Just something to think about.

23. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #23 Steve Magnusson, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
    Precisely. The voltage to the cold start injector stops after a few seconds because the thermo-time switch heats up and opens (even though you keep cranking the starer motor).

Yes, but the AAV also absorbs heat directly from its environment so the AAV wouldn't always be open if no voltage is applied to its internal electric heater, it would just close more slowly, but when the engine was fully warmed up, it would probably be fully closed OK. However, having the cold start injector always spraying is (way) bad because it doesn't add fuel as uniformly as the cylinder injectors as Jim mentioned -- so that's probably why that bank could never be adjusted properly (even though the total amount of fuel entering the engine was optimized as best as possible when the cold start injector was always spraying).

Agree, but just turn the mixture screw CW enough until that bank starts to run well (not a fixed amount) and then maybe a touch more if you have no other equipment/instrumentation available.

PS You haven't answered the question "Do your fuel pumps run with the key "on" but the engine not running?" -- not a big issue, but something to add to your "sorting" list if they do...

24. anxpert

anxpert Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Oceanside, CA
    Full Name:
    Enrique Mar
    I had a similar issue with a 380 SL where I had sporadic " rich running " conditions which we could not trace which turned into a cold start not starting problem.

We spliced into the cold start circuit and installed a remote voltmeter which allowed us to view voltage cycles to the suspected circuit, and added a momentary " On " push button wired to a 12VDC source to the Cold Start valve.

It allowed us to verify start up / cold conditions and having a " quasi " remote switch to pulse the cold start valve.

Bill, you may consider a revers set up where you can eliminate power to the Cold start valve after warm up and verify running conditions.

25. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    +1! :confused:

& if they don't, try unplugging the brown connector @ the air mass meter to see if the pumps come on. If they do, at least it eliminates that connector.
    The fact that 'gooey' electrical tape is in the mix definitely shouts out that someone has been into that harness & quite possibly switched things up. :eek: :mad: :eek: