Help have a tachometer and lighting issue | FerrariChat

Help have a tachometer and lighting issue

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by EZORED, Dec 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #1 EZORED, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Here is the scenario. My car is a 1992 512 tr:
    1. Motor running, headlights off, instrument light rheostat turned to dim or bight. Tachometer works fine!
    2. Motor running , headlights on , rheostat turned to bright, tachometer jumps and freezes at 3000 rpm. All instruments lights work and are bright,except no tachometer lights.
    3. Motor running headlights on, rheostat turned to almost full dim, tachometer drops to 400 rpm and freeze(meaning reeving engine does not move needle) instrument lights dim as they should,except the tachometer.
    4. Motor off but with headlights on, still no Tachometer light, but tack needle move between 400 and 3000 rpm as I turn dimmer rheostat. all other instruments dim normally.

Looks like a ground problem, but where to start. Checked all fuses including #13 all good

Thanks Dennis

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what car?
    try to put directly ground to the instruments and see what will happen
    no ground has a fuse

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1

Of course, they "simplified" the 512TR schematics making them terrible to use, but your #2 symptom confirms that you have a local ground problem at the dash tach lights (and that same ground is probably used for the tach itself, but is not shown). Since the other dash lights are working and there is only a single wire grounding for the whole dash = the problem has to be a local one on the Instrument PCBA itself.

The schematic also shows a green warning light, v = Pilot and dipped beam headlights warning light (Green) that should come "on" whenever the dash lights are "on"-- is this also not working? (It better not be working if the tachometer dash lights aren't working ;)).

4. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Green dip light comes on when I turn on the headlights. When I hit brights, blue light comes on and green dip lights stay on. green dip light goes away when I turn rheostat to zero/dim . .

I have the schematics in front of me. Is the G wire coming into the dash the ground? What color is that? Its seems to going from 60000 to 30011, then to pod gage unit 60030, then to ground?70093

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    G is yellow. I only have the 512TR schematic in the 512TR WSM so if you have a 512TR wiring diagram book, we may not match exactly (and I don't have every figure printed out -- the scans that I have are page quadrants of different scale that have to be pasted together so I've only done that for Figs 1, 2, and 3). In the 512TR WSM Fig 3, the G (yellow) wire in the B connector is just another line controlled by the rheostat going to some of the other dash bulbs. The N (black) wire in the A connector is the ground for the v green dip warning light and the dash bulbs in the tach (and a whole bunch of other stuff in the instrument pod). The B (white) wire in the B connector is the line that goes +12V to supply the rheostat and the v green light.

This still smells a lot like like a broken ground trace or connection locally in the tach-tach dash lights-green dip light area of the instrument pod. Are you sure about the direction you turn the rheostat for the green dip light to go away? With no ground at the tach dash lights, the green dip light would go out when the rheostat is turned to maximum brightness. (Or does "zero/dim" mean no dimming?)

6. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #6 EZORED, Dec 30, 2018
    Just went to the garage and you are correct, when I go to max, the green goes out!

So N/black is the ground. Should I do a temporary ground to the black and see if this cures my problem?

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It really won't be useful to do (unless you are lying ;)) as that N/black wire is also the ground for all of the other dash lights (and you report those are working OK). Unfortunately, you are going to have to have a look at the instrument PCBA/assembly itself IMO.

8. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Is this the black wire that you are talking about,

Attached Files:

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  10. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #10 EZORED, Dec 30, 2018
    hopefully the PCBA you are talking about is not the Main fuse box in the front of the car? But the circuit board that makes up the back of the instrument panel? Do you have any clue why turning on the headlight would cause my problem? Do headlights go thru a common connector?

How would I tell where the black/ N wire comes from before the connector? I guess logic is it doesn't manner, any ground point. If it was not grounded nothing would work? Correct

I can guess but I am not sure what the symbol for the dip and bright bulbs are in the diagram. My copy does not have a key. Also rheostat?

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes. PCBA = the abbreviation for Printed Circuit Board Assembly.

Yes, the tach and the tach dash lights share a common ground connection on the PCBA. If these stay connect together, but are not actually connected to ground (because of a broken trace or maybe a bad solder joint), when you turn the lights "on" this puts +12V (or some lower voltage depending on where the rheostat is set) onto (what should be) the ground terminal of the tach = mucks up the tach operation. When you don't have the lights "on", the other (working) dash bulbs effectively serve as the ground path for the tach so it works OK.

Look on the other schematic figures for that same A connector to see where a wire leaves the A connector in the same position as the N wire in the A connector of Fig 3 (it should also be labeled as an N wire as the engineers were very consistent about this on the F schematics that I am familiar with). Did I mention that the 512TR schematic is really, really hard to use? ;) As I previously indicated, this N wire at connector A is not your problem -- if it was, NONE of your dash lights in the main pod would work. The problem has to be on the PCBA itself.

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #12 Steve Magnusson, Dec 30, 2018
    Here's a copy of the missing key page L32 (Mel kindly sent me this copy many years ago).

PS I believe 60000/1 is the Speedometer (not the "Tachometer"). 60000/4 "Rev Counter" is the tachometer.

Attached Files:

13. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Steve please look at my labeled Pdf. Do I have it labeled correctly? I am trying to follow the logic, why would the green dip light go out when I turn the rheostat to max?

I guess the headlight connection would be the bright and dip lights, how would the tach be in that chain?

Attached Files:

14. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Looks like we posted at the same time. I will read your post and get back to you tomorrow, Its 10 pm here!

15. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    This for the key page, this really helps !!!!

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, please see the key labels on that page L32 that I posted (and the +12V supply line in the B connector is the B labeled wire, not the B label for the B connector).

Because (with the broken ground connection that you have) when the rheostat is set to max brightness = each side of the v (green dip) warning light is at +12V = the v (green dip) bulb does not illuminate.

17. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Steve thinking about taking the instruments pod out of the dash. Is Pcba you are referring to loc
    ated on the back of the instrument panel?

I am not seeing any reference to it in the parts diagrams?

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's my mistake -- it does look just more hardwired in the 512TR SPC (although there may still be a small PCB on the back of the tach). You'll need to get access to the tach and its local associated wiring nest.

19. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    super! makes it much easier to repair!

20. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Steve, FYI Thanks!

Update, on the problem, my Mechanic found a bad ground. Here is what he said. The ground runs through the tack back-lighting circuit. There was intermittent open where the wire attaches to the first bulb. I piggybacked another ground wire to the bulb socket and there is a good ground again. problem fixed

21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Had to be that! Thanks for closing this out.